View Full Version : Operating System for Cell phones

enaime
09-19-2005, 11:46 PM
So if I buy a nokia smartphone which operates on Symbian OS, I can forget about any programs that I am using on my PDA (is this correct?). What I mean by this: I am a Doctor and use a Pharmacy Drug reference Guide on my PDA quite a bit. I am trying to buy a phone that will do some things my PDA does without the huge size.

I have been told that the best bet is Microsoft or Palm operating system on a cell phone. I am partial to Nokia, so I am trying to find out all my options. Anyone have any advice.

SteveHoward999
09-20-2005, 03:01 AM
Nokia do not make a phone that is in any way compatible with PocketPC OS or the Palm OS. So yes - throw away all your PDA software.

I know you don't want something big, but if you are as wealthy as doctors are meant to be 8) then you might want to look at this:-

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,43012

As phones go it is huge, and it's pretty big as a PDA too, but arm it with a bluetooth headset and size doesn't matter. But as a PDA it is a much more functional device than a phone with a pathetic little 2 inch screen...

enaime
09-21-2005, 12:56 AM
funny how doctor have a reputation for being wealthy, i wish i had that rep, but i dont. anyways, thanks for the suggestion but that thing is too big. I want something that will be smaller than my PDA.

mikewchandler
09-21-2005, 03:22 AM
I'm a clinical pharmacist and I use the eten m500 for exactly what you are describing. It is small enough to go with me everywhere on my belt...into clinic, the pharmacy...etc. I use it all day long as a pda and get a couple calls a day from my wife and a few emails a day from a variety of places.

I make sure the ringer is set to vibrate and the notifications are short and professional sounding. No one really knows it's my phone. It looks like a small pda on my belt. It's perfect....about the size of the imate jam (which is another great option for you).

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck. :D