View Full Version : Are you using a converged device or still using a two device method?

Monty Gibson
09-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Really easy here: Are you using a phone and a pocket pc or just a converged device?

Feel free to leave additional comments.

Thank you,
Monty Gibson

PocketPC Addict
09-19-2005, 02:10 AM
Still using individual devices here. I don't spend a lot of time on the phone, so I don't see needing it converged just yet. :)

Darius Wey
09-19-2005, 02:46 AM
I'm still using separate devices, though I am tempted to hop on the Pocket PC Phone Edition ship.

Stephen Beesley
09-19-2005, 03:16 AM
I have always been two device sort of guy. I like the idea of a small and easy to carry phone that I can chuck in my bag or a pocket when I do not want to take my Pocket PC (it does happen sometimes :D) with me.

However, the latest crop of converged devices (particularly the Universal in its various forms) have made me wonder if that will always be the case. It is not really the idea of having just one device that I like - I think I would still want a small easy to carry and more expendable mobile phone - but that some of these devices are just sooooo feature rich that they are hard to ignore.

popcorn
09-19-2005, 04:12 AM
Funny you should ask. I just got done with that debate myself, and an i-mate Jam came out of it. I was carrying separate for a while, then went to an Audiovox SMT5600 for a few months, and enjoyed that experience, but needed a little "more".

My most recent combination was a Nokia 6230 and iPAQ 4150, which I liked, but after having the Audiovox phone, I was sold on the single device theory -- the iPAQ was just getting left behind too much to be any value.

The Jam seems like a solid device so far -- I realize it can't upgrade to WM5, but the apps I run plus my VPN client, made me decide I'd probably need 2003SE for a while longer yet anyway.

Mark

yankeejeep
09-19-2005, 05:25 AM
There are still many times when all I want to carry is a small cell phone. I could not function well with a converged device that would be even close to the size of my Motorola v710. I need a good-sized screen (3.7" minimum) to do the work I do on my PPC. I remain firmly in the 2-device fold.

Patrick Y.
09-19-2005, 05:55 AM
Well, I don't even have a mobile phone, just a Pocket PC. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Menneisyys
09-19-2005, 11:20 AM
As long as there won't be any Pocket PC PE that is clealry better than my Pocket Loox 720 + Stowaway BT keyboard + S-E t610 combo, I stay with the latter. (The only one 'serious' (because of the VGA) converged device, the HTC Universal, when compared to the PL70 (http://www.firstloox.org//forums/showthread.php?t=4795), could fare much better and lacks too many things so I'm pretty sure I won't switch to it...)

Nismo96
09-19-2005, 12:41 PM
I use two devices, a Windows Smartphone and a PPC. I always want my PIM data with me, but don't always have the need of the more powerful PPC, so a Smartphone does the trick for those times when a small device is all that I need. A fully functional converged device would be too large for all around use.

pocketpcadmirer
09-19-2005, 01:16 PM
I used to have 2215 and t610 combo but I conjured that My pockets get full gadgets. I had no space left to put my hankerchief(!).

So I bought o2 mini and is very satisfied !!

Phillip Dyson
09-19-2005, 02:14 PM
I've been using the eten m500 for about 2 months and I really like the one device situation.

Though there are times that I miss the large bright screen of my toshiba e830.

ChristopherTD
09-19-2005, 02:22 PM
I replaced my Motorola phone and iPaq 5550 with an iMate Jam and really like the small form factor.

I sometimes miss the WiFi (but not enough to buy a WiFi SD Card).

I would buy a slim VGA PPC Phone if such a thing existed, but there isn't one yet. I favour light and pocketable over built in keyboards.

surfer
09-19-2005, 06:18 PM
Currently using a Jam and could not be happier. 8)

Don't Panic!
09-19-2005, 10:15 PM
I still use both in a way. I have a t610 with t-mobile data service and X50v for personal use and a SCH i730 with vzw data service for business use. But The i730 is gradually taking over for everything but ebooks, music, and non-streaming feature films.

baker
09-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Two devices. I can stand losing my phone. I can't stand losing my 4155.

jnev
09-21-2005, 04:54 AM
i'm on the 2 device bandwagon, using a lg vx8000 and x50v. the pocket pc phones offered by most providers just don't have the functionality my x50v provides (and for the features they offer they're twice the price i got my x50v for).

szamot
09-21-2005, 05:17 AM
i'm on the 2 device bandwagon, using a lg vx8000 and x50v. the pocket pc phones offered by most providers just don't have the functionality my x50v provides (and for the features they offer they're twice the price i got my x50v for).

...so what you are saying you would much rather two Pintos than one Ferrari. A valid point I guess. I will stick with the latter.

Phillip Dyson
09-21-2005, 05:42 AM

...so what you are saying you would much rather two Pintos than one Ferrari. A valid point I guess. I will stick with the latter.

Actually it sounds more like he's saying that he's got a Hyundai and a Mercedes and he doesn't want to get rid of them and get a Toyota. :D

Kowalski
09-21-2005, 01:41 PM
i dont like the idea of a convergent device.
i hate candybar phones, as a big fan of clamshell phones, there is no phone edition pocket pc yet(just in the form of SE p910 but smaller in size)
for me, the size of the device is much more important than the MHZ of the CPU or the amounth of ram/rom on the device, but the manufacturers still push the specifications, rather making smaller devices.