View Full Version : Setting up a pocket pc with a broken screen

shaxs
09-18-2005, 05:27 AM
Hello All,

A few years ago I busted the screen on my Hp 1910. It works fine save the pocket pc. Well, I want to be able to connect it to my PC and use a remote view of what the screen would look like if it were not busted. On my 2210, I use the Microsoft Remote View application. However, the problem I am running into is this: Since the 1910 sat so long, it lost all power and now I have to go through the setup process (the dumb quick tutorial, the screen alignment, ect). Is there anyway to by pass this at all so I can just use the remote view and my desktop to control the PPC? Kind of a random situation, but I would like to test my software (see sig line) on a slower machine. Please let me know if this is possible! Thanks!

Menneisyys
09-18-2005, 06:01 AM
Hello All,

A few years ago I busted the screen on my Hp 1910. It works fine save the pocket pc. Well, I want to be able to connect it to my PC and use a remote view of what the screen would look like if it were not busted. On my 2210, I use the Microsoft Remote View application. However, the problem I am running into is this: Since the 1910 sat so long, it lost all power and now I have to go through the setup process (the dumb quick tutorial, the screen alignment, ect). Is there anyway to by pass this at all so I can just use the remote view and my desktop to control the PPC? Kind of a random situation, but I would like to test my software (see sig line) on a slower machine. Please let me know if this is possible! Thanks!

1, connect the PDA to the PC when the initial Welcome screen is shown. Fortunately, ActiveSync will work even then.
2, kill the process named "welcome.exe" and then, "showbmp.exe" (I think the 1910, as the other iPAQ's, also displays the splash screen after running welcome.exe) with a suitable tool (for example, the remote process viewer from evc3 or Pocket Controller.

shaxs
09-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Thank you for the great information. I was actually able to use the onscreen view to tap the proper place on the screen to set it up properly. Thanks a lot. I appreciate this.

Menneisyys
10-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Just posted a greatly enhanced tutorial on this subject to http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&title=can_i_use_a_pda_that_has_a_broken_touchs&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#trackbacks

mkerr
10-27-2005, 12:20 PM
posted the same thing a few down from you today.
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43983

worked well too
:D