View Full Version : Menneisyys apreciation thread

Fishie
09-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all you have done for the comunity man, you rock.

0X

jhennig
09-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Second that. 0X

buckyg
09-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Thank you for all of the info you've given us, you are great!

Menneisyys
09-17-2005, 04:38 PM

surur
09-17-2005, 04:45 PM
4th'd. Menneisyys is like a guardian angel, swooping in to solve problems everyone else thinks are unfixable.

Menneisyys, have one on us.

Surur

Paragon
09-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Go, Menneisyys!

I have trouble comprehending the amount of hours you have put into the articles, and how to's you have posted. Good work, my friend!

Dave

Fishie
09-17-2005, 06:05 PM

Right, ive done what you wanted me to.
Now ship me that JasJar already.

Oh wait, was I supposed to send this as a private message?

Menneisyys
09-17-2005, 06:17 PM

Right, ive done what you wanted me to.
Now ship me that JasJar already.

Oh wait, was I supposed to send this as a private message?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

marcm
09-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Menneisyys, your howtos/articles and help are definitely appreciated by everyone in the Pocket PC Thoughts community. It's definitely a pleasure to read what the Pocket PC Guru has to say! :wink:

Thanks! :D

Cugami
09-17-2005, 08:44 PM
You really rock dude
I am new this community but much things becomes really easy to understand with your articles/howtos
Thanks so much

Sven Johannsen
09-17-2005, 09:07 PM
I heartily support the sentiment in this thread. I can't imagine how you find the time to do what you do. I have trouble finding the time to just read it all. When's the book coming out?

Thanks for putting together the nitty gritty that goes with the reality.

gibson042
09-17-2005, 10:56 PM
I love seeing your articles (and the half-hour break they provide ;)). If you ever do write that book, please put me on the pre-order list. :mrgreen:

G M Fude
09-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Yep, thanks Menneisyys, I've learned heaps from your detailed and scientific articles.

xdalaw
09-18-2005, 02:29 AM
Great thread idea!

Menneisys (sorry if I misspelled it :oops: ):

Your posts/articles are AMAZING. So detailed, interesting and well done visually with the crisp VGA screenshots.

Many are over my head technologically, but I have gone back to a few and they've really helped me out.

The book will become a bible for the PPC enthusiast!

-- Andrew

Darius Wey
09-18-2005, 04:27 AM
I'm not sure where you find the time, but keep up the great work, Menneisyys.

Kudos! :way to go:

jhennig
09-18-2005, 06:41 AM
Book Title: Who's Your (Pocket PC) Daddy?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

surfer
09-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Thanks Menneisyys :mrgreen: You write great stuff.

humayunl
09-18-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm really glad someone started this thread.. I dont know if I"ve said this before... even if I have, it can't be said enough times... Menneissys, thanks for all the excellent information you provide both as help in answering questions and other self-initiated research oriented.

I know my knowledge about some key things in the PPC universe has grown to a whole new level because of the information you have provided over time.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

GSmith
09-18-2005, 02:51 PM
And I consider myself an expert. I bow in deference. :werenotworthy:

Thank you, Menneisyys, for all your efforts. If you publish all your existing articles in book form, it seems like it would be enough for a book. I'm not really sure what you are waiting for (and maybe you're not :wink:) but I'm sure there are people that would help you get that book out.

Greg Smith

Menneisyys
09-18-2005, 03:46 PM
And I consider myself an expert. I bow in deference. :werenotworthy:

Thank you, Menneisyys, for all your efforts. If you publish all your existing articles in book form, it seems like it would be enough for a book. I'm not really sure what you are waiting for (and maybe you're not :wink:) but I'm sure there are people that would help you get that book out.

Greg Smith

Well, now that a lot of you say I should publish a book: I may indeed do so some day, particularly
- after my articles are all upgraded to cover WM5-compliance (and dwelve into the secrets of WM5 in general)
- after I have covered all the main usage categories of a Pocket PC (I have covered quite a few areas in my articles/roundups but definitely not all the of them - for example, I've yet to write a decent PIM comparison, a decent Notes-like app comparison etc.)

I'm not sure about the readership, though - I feel that my articles are a bit on the 'geek' side. That is, a Pocket PC newcomer may not understand what I write about. Particularly if I dwelve into system-level questions like 'How should I delete files from ROM'/'how should I make them optional' (that is, RAM-installable if needed) and so on (a project I'll start working on from next week - it's not impossible, it seems, with the right tools like mkrom. By deleting unnecessary stuff, you can easily free up 6-12 Mbytes of flash ROM on WM2003SE devices.)

My other problem is that my mother tongue isn't English. That is, my book would need a complete rewrite so that it really sounds English. (I wouldn't publish a book without a native English speaker rewriting it. I certainly know how tiring it is to read books written by non-English speakers - I'm referring to some of the books of, for example, Wrox Publishing (I've found some of their 'international-authors' books really tiring to read). I don't want the entire PPC world laugh at the mistakes in my non-native English.)

Steven Cedrone
09-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Menneisyys,

Don't worry about that! You can always get an English speaking technical editor (expert) to edit your book (talk to Jason! :wink: ) I have to tell you, although I sometimes don't get to fully read your articles in depth until much later after posting, I do read every comment in the forums. There have been nothing but positive replies to every article you have ever written. It's almost like I can count on them to be threads that don't even need moderating! Keep up the great work!!!

Steve

Oh, and where the heck DO you find the time??? :lol:

Fishie
09-19-2005, 12:54 AM
Menneisyys,

Oh, and where the heck DO you find the time??? :lol:

Well he IS Scandinavian, Scandinavian countries have short working houres and enjoy the highest quality of life in the World.
That or he might be unemployed, Scandinavian countries have good unemployment benefits that are a lot higher then quite a lot of full time jobs in the US.

Nurhisham Hussein
09-19-2005, 05:27 AM
The profile in Pocket PC mag says he's doing his PhD - which probably explains the time he has.

And in case I never said it before:

Thanks for the amazing amount of info!!!! I've learned more from you and your articles than 2 years of sifting through the web!

Patrick Y.
09-19-2005, 05:53 AM
Thanks you for everything Menneisyys. I love your articles and I really learn a lot from them. Even though I can't understand everything, I still think that they are GREAAAAT 8) :wink: . Also, I also want to thank you for your patience with me and others. I haven't forget your help regarding the problem with my "messed up" storage card. THANKS!!

As for the English thingy, don't even worry about it. If a stupid kid like me can understand you, everyone will too. :lol:

Again, thank you Mr. Professor 8)

Regards,
Patrick

martin_ayton
09-19-2005, 10:18 AM
I have to add my thanks to this thread. It's people like Menneisyys who give of their time and expertise that make forums worthwhile. I'd buy the book as a way of saying thanks.

Fedorov
09-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Yup great articles, always enjoy reading them so a BIG thanks from me!

Fedorov.

Sven Johannsen
09-20-2005, 05:15 AM
Don't worry about that! You can always get an English speaking technical editor (expert) to edit your book (talk to Jason! :wink: )

Yea, he might let you know who edits his Canadian ;)

Seriously, I hadn't even paid any attention to your not being American. Such as to say your English doesn't really give it away. It's very good.

shivafool
09-27-2005, 06:48 AM
well heck, his english is gooder than mine am too. :lol:

but seriously folks:
I wanted to add my voice to this chorus. I have enjoyed and learned so much. One of these days, I'll get my new PPCPE and take a stab at trying to use Java on it. I would not have even dreamed of trying if it were not for your excellent discussions of the topic.
May the bird of happiness sing by your window.

stevelam
09-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Nice one Menneisyys

BTW are you an MVP yet? If not why not?

Menneisyys
09-29-2005, 06:52 AM
BTW are you an MVP yet? If not why not?

Until the end of 2004, I have only contributed to non-English PPC boards (I was read-only on international boards); this meant almost no exposure to the world / people that choose MVP's.

It was only in late 2004 that I decided to start contributing to international boards too.

Arkie_VI
09-29-2005, 02:29 PM
I really appreciate all the work you have done. Great Advice!!!

Menneisyys
10-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Here's something (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3) you may be interested in :)

Fishie
10-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Why are you doing this?

Menneisyys
10-19-2005, 08:04 AM
Why are you doing this?

You mean the blogging?

Fishie
10-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Why are you doing this?

You mean the blogging?

I mean delving deeper then any man has gone before, going where others do not dare, spending a vast chunk of your life to find out things for the benefit of others.

Is it becouse of low selfesteem, becouse it makes you feel important and liked?
I mean, its not for the money and personally I appreciate what you do as much as the next geek who spends way too much money on these toys for boys(in my case almost literally as I grew up in relative poverty where those around me had toys and I had nothing so I buy PPCs to compensate, I am sure that that is the reason) but I wonder.
Why, why spend countless houres checking compatibility, hacking away at the OS, checking screens, speed etcetera?

Menneisyys
10-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Why are you doing this?

You mean the blogging?

I mean delving deeper then any man has gone before, going where others do not dare, spending a vast chunk of your life to find out things for the benefit of others.

Is it becouse of low selfesteem, becouse it makes you feel important and liked?
I mean, its not for the money and personally I appreciate what you do as much as the next geek who spends way too much money on these toys for boys(in my case almost literally as I grew up in relative poverty where those around me had toys and I had nothing so I buy PPCs to compensate, I am sure that that is the reason) but I wonder.
Why, why spend countless houres checking compatibility, hacking away at the OS, checking screens, speed etcetera?

Of course, I love to be loved :) I really love it when I receive 'you rock, dude!'-type of comments. My family, wife and relatives (non-tech "average" people from Sonkajärvi, center-north-Finland - that is, far away from any industrialized/populated zone, almost kilometres away from other people) also love reading these comments and to have a relative/husband so known and liked everywhere. This is one of the reasons I keep posting to PPC boards, even if I do "waste" a lot of free time while doing this.

I also love getting into new, previously uncharted stuff and to be an early adopter - this is why I was there when Java or the IBM PC as a home computer took off (I bought a PC as my next home computer at the Amiga age - in the late '80's when few would have thought the PC would be the winning home computer platform; and, my current job is also Java-related. So, it seems, I have always bet on the right/winner technology, early adopting-wise).

Finally, as Dale Coffing stated at pocketPCpassion.com (RIP) (and now, in his blog (http://dalecoffing.typepad.com/my_weblog/)) - "There is time in life for only one TRUE passion". Now, for me, they are (mostly - I have some other; for example, swimming) Windows Mobile and related stuff.

Janak Parekh
10-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Menneisyys, I'd just like to echo others' comments -- as a geek/techie and as a Java programmer for many years, I have a pretty good understanding on all your posts, and you've spent some time I wish I had exposing some of the more interesting corners of Windows Mobile. It's very much appreciated. 8)

--janak

Jason Dunn
10-19-2005, 05:05 PM
I'll add my voice to the chorus of voices already expressing what I feel: your articles are greatly appreciated, and your contributions to the Windows Mobile community have been noticed. You've been nominated to become an MVP (by Janak) - now it's in the hands of people at Microsoft, and unfortunately it can take a very long time....but your name is in there. ;-)

Fishie
10-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Excellent.

Duncan
10-20-2005, 12:09 AM
I'll add my voice to the chorus of voices already expressing what I feel: your articles are greatly appreciated, and your contributions to the Windows Mobile community have been noticed. You've been nominated to become an MVP (by Janak) - now it's in the hands of people at Microsoft, and unfortunately it can take a very long time....but your name is in there. ;-)

Few people have done so much to deserve the recognition - so let's hope it doesn't take them too long....!

(Plus he has such excellent taste in Pocket PCs... ;))

sheik
04-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Menneisyys, you are an absolute star.
My Loox 720 died whilst I was away on holiday, so I restored from backup and thought I was OK. Little did I know that the backup would clash with the firmware upgrade I'd performed years before, with the result that my wi-fi connectivity stopped working.

Then I found this page:
http://menneisyys.freeweb.hu/pl720restore/

Not only did it fix my ageing (but still utterly invaluable) Loox, but your directions were really easy to follow.

Thanks again!

/\dam

isajoo
04-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Why are you doing this?

would u rather he drive around in circles 500x like in nascar or run up/down 100yards on a field...its exercise for the brain. he's gifted and its okay to be jelious, i am. :)

just imagine if he has that much passion for ppc/gadgets, then think of the possibilities for him succeeding in any other field.

Cybrid
04-22-2007, 11:08 PM
:rotfl: I still think he should have won a Nobel peace prize for the " How to use the Pocket PC to listen to music while swimming" thread. :clap:

For all your hard work. Thanks Menneisyys.

jaimela
05-22-2007, 09:43 PM

Couldn't agree more. Can't count the number of times you've helped. Thanks!

beq
05-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Just found this thread. I too appreciate Menneisyys' excellent works :) It would be great if there was a way for the community to return the favor to him in some way...

Thanks!

Joelacrane
06-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Can I come over and wax your car or mow your lawn or something?

gaoming7908
02-22-2008, 05:57 PM
:D