View Full Version : Voice Command on WM5? Any additional features/uses?

Tye
09-09-2005, 07:18 PM
So, from what I understand, VC is now included with WM5. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
What I'm wondering is if it's the same as the retail VC or if they've integrated it more into the OS? Any APIs to access it? Any way to get to its text-to-speech engine?
So many questions! :D

Phillip Dyson
09-09-2005, 08:20 PM
According to my disparate readings VC can be more tightly coupled to the OS. Also exposing APIs for other applications to interface with.

However, it is also the ODM/OEMs choice whether to ship their devices with VC.

Jason Dunn
09-09-2005, 09:44 PM
So, from what I understand, VC is now included with WM5. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. ;-)

Tye
09-09-2005, 09:52 PM

You're wrong. ;-)
Cool. Cool. So would your answer tie in with Sojourner's that it is decided per manufacturer? :cry:
"le sigh," I guess there's still not going to be a full TTS system available. This really surprises me. I've found TTS to be very useful, even in it's current limited forms.

Jason Dunn
09-09-2005, 11:19 PM
So would your answer tie in with Sojourner's that it is decided per manufacturer?

Unknown. What I can tell you is that there is no Voice Command on the WM5 Pocket PC I have sitting in front of me.

PocketPC Addict
09-10-2005, 12:34 AM
Cool. Cool. So would your answer tie in with Sojourner's that it is decided per manufacturer? :cry:
"le sigh," I guess there's still not going to be a full TTS system available. This really surprises me. I've found TTS to be very useful, even in it's current limited forms.

What do you mean by TTS? I always thought that meant Text to speech.

Tye
09-10-2005, 12:46 AM
What do you mean by TTS? I always thought that meant Text to speech.
Yes, correct. I mean Text to Speech.

Darius Wey
09-10-2005, 05:06 AM

Windows Mobile 5.0 now enables manufacturers the option to integrate Voice Command in the devices that they ship out. The option is there - it's up to them to decide whether they want to include it or not.

If your future Windows Mobile 5.0 device lacks Voice Command, then you can always install it separately.