View Full Version : Got a new Tablet PC - How can I repartition it Without reinstalling?

ctmagnus
09-06-2005, 07:57 AM
I received a nice, shiny Tecra M4 Tablet PC a week ago and I'm just loving it. However, no OS install disks shipped with it (as is the case with most Tablet PCs, for some reason thrown only to the OEMs, but I did get the ability to create a set of Restore discs) and the HD is one big 80 GB partition. Are there any utilities that will safely let me divide up the drive (I prefer a 1:3 , OS:data setup) without causing any damage to the file system?

Steven Cedrone
09-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I have had good luck with PowerQuest's PartitionMagic (Now Symantec) - Never tried it on a tablet, but I can't really see why it would be a problem...

Sven Johannsen
09-06-2005, 02:19 PM
I have had good luck with PowerQuest's PartitionMagic (Now Symantec) - Never tried it on a tablet, but I can't really see why it would be a problem...
That would have been my suggestion as well.

ctmagnus
09-07-2005, 09:12 AM
I was considering Partition Magic but then I remembered something about resizing NTFS partitions being destructive, so I thought I'd ask about it here. It's probably been a few OS's since then, though, so they've likely ironed the kinks out of it by now. And I I should likely upgrade my version; the tablet doesn't have a floppy drive. :oops:

Has anyone tried Acronis' partitioning product? I've heard good things about True Image, so I thought I might give them a try.

Darius Wey
09-07-2005, 11:23 AM
I was considering Partition Magic but then I remembered something about resizing NTFS partitions being destructive, so I thought I'd ask about it here. It's probably been a few OS's since then, though, so they've likely ironed the kinks out of it by now. And I I should likely upgrade my version; the tablet doesn't have a floppy drive. :oops:

In reality, resizing any partition has its risks. I've used PartitionMagic on a few NTFS partitions in the past and not once has it failed me, though YMMV. Just remember to backup first!

torgamm
09-08-2005, 08:55 AM
When I received my Toshiba M200 more than one year ago, it came pre-installed by Toshiba, with everything in one NTFS partition on the HD.
I used my good old Patition Magic 7.0 to create new partitions (for my documents, etc.) and it worked fine.