View Full Version : Recomendations: PocketPC with integrated keyboard, WiFi, camera(?)

CyyberSpaceCowboy
08-30-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm looking to replace my trusty Treo 90, which is starting to have keyboard glitches. I haven't learned graffiti so far and I have no inclination to start now, so an integrated keyboard is a must. I also think I need integrated WiFi this time, and I would really like to have a camera. I bought a Palm compatible the first time since that is what my customers had (and Palm's were a lot more affordable at the time).

This time I want to go with a Pocket PC because of greater integration with Microsoft applications; I am especially intrigued by the remote network management software downloadable from MS. I'm finally getting enough WiFi hotspots set up a my main customer's location to make a WiFi capable handheld practical (and I figure I can carry a USB WiFi adapter). Since upgrading my desktop's CPU to a HT Prescott, I've also started to have the ocassional BSD when HotSyncing my Palm. I discovered the Palm's have always had problems with multiple procs; further I understand it's not corrected even with the Tungstens, and it with AMD and Intel going to multiple cores, it doesn't bode well for the future of Palms even if I can live with it.

It seems most of the current generation of Pocket PC's have integrated 802.11b (a previous thread answered my questions about 11g). I don't need Bluetooth or any kind of cell phone. I know I could and should research every brand of Pocket PC (is there a shorthand, PPC is already taken :), but I'm looking for a shortcut to finding just the ones with keyboards in case my Treo dies entirely. I'd like a plastic flip cover like the Treo, but I haven't seen on on a Pocket PC. I don't like the pull from both ends slideout keyboards, but it's not a deal breaker if the other features are there. I'd like it to fit in my pocket as easily as the Treo (OK, that's probably why it's worn out).

A camera would be nice for the gee whiz factor, but it looks like for the $200 premium I would have to pay, I can buy a real camera. I'm expecting to pay $300-$600. Price is a factor, but not the overriding one, in a device it's possible to break or loose.

I consider myself a professional, power user and I my inclination is to install every freeware app I come accross, as well as downloading complete service records for every customer. How much CPU power and storage do I really need? Keep in mind, I've made do with 16Mhz and 16Mb so far.

Thanks

kaitanium
08-30-2005, 05:04 PM
most of them, actually every device i can think of with camera+keyboard has a phone integreated with it.

if you dont mind that, check out verizons i730 if your dying to have something now. or wait for the next wave of htc devices to hit the market like the htc universal or wizard

CyyberSpaceCowboy
08-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Thanks, OK, lets forget the camera then and concentrate on keybords and WiFi.

kaitanium
08-30-2005, 09:34 PM
off the top of my head i can only thing of the old ipaq 4355 as a device that has what you need w/o camera and phone.

CyyberSpaceCowboy
09-04-2005, 05:58 AM
Thanks, Kaitanium. I've been doing more research and it looks like the iPaq 4350/55 are the only models that fit my criteria. Too bad they don't make them any more.

hiatus
09-08-2005, 06:28 AM
will spb full screen keyboard helps ? i know it' s a software, but it might be alright