View Full Version : Trying to connect to the internet

franswey
08-29-2005, 04:03 AM
I have a new Dell Axim x50V. Wireless router is Linksys B. I can't get on line. Odyssey Client Statys: serching for access point. In settings, configure wireless networks linksys Connecting, but it's not.

Help!

Don't Panic!
08-29-2005, 04:34 AM
Forget the client andd just turn on Wi-Fi. Your ax should detect your access point. Choose connect to intternet and you should be golden.

franswey
08-29-2005, 04:46 AM
Thank you. I must be doing something wrong.. says cannot connect with current connection settiings.

Don't Panic!
08-29-2005, 04:56 AM
Well I'm not the best guy for Wi-Fi advice especially for home networks but with my worksites network that was all I had to do.

Sorry it didn't help.

franswey
08-29-2005, 05:00 AM
Thank you. I greatly appreciate your help.

JPD6825
08-29-2005, 05:17 AM
I have essentially the same hardware...
Questions:
Is the router set to broadcast its SSID? I believe you will need to have it broadcast the SSID for the first time you connect - then you can turn it off - not sure why - but that was my experience.
Do you have WEP encryption turned on?
Are you trying to use 128 bit encryption or 64 bit encryption. I had trouble with the 128, switched to 64 - things worked - never went back to try to sort out the 128 bit...

How far are you from the router - probably in the same room for trying to get it to work - right?

Have you done a soft reset lately?

sooner or later you will get it ---- I'll bet you won't have to go much farther than dealing with the things I listed.

Good luck.

franswey
08-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Thank you. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. This sounds like a solution, but how do I set the router to broadcast its SSID? It's next to me. And where and how do I turned on the WEP encryption?

Cybrid
08-31-2005, 12:51 PM
I have a new Dell Axim x50V. Wireless router is Linksys B. I can't get on line. Odyssey Client Statys: serching for access point. In settings, configure wireless networks linksys Connecting, but it's not.

Help!If your settings says "Linksys....connecting" that means that you are broadcasting an SSID (Linksys).

http://www.vancouverpocketpc.com/wifi.png Tab 2 of Dell's utility has a nice scan that shows SSID (wireless) and WEP is turned on. See the padlock?
Disabling the encryption would mean logging into the router.
Usually by opening an internet explorer page to it's IP address.
Most likely http://192.168.1.1 .
Using the password and then navigating to a page where the WEP settings are.
I doubt this is neccesary because like most.....if you don't know where your router WEP settings are..... then you never turned them on :lol:

Try an application like Pocket DHCP to release and renew your IP. While it says connecting. http://www.lincomatic.com/wireless/software.html

This is a brief and very rough guide but it might explain enough to get you started.

First check signal? good?
Use either Oddysey or Dell's utility to "connect"
Input WEP key only if required! This is recommended for users to implement later on though for security.
Release and renew IP if you are finding it's taking its sweet time getting from connecting to connected.

And yea, before someone goes all WEP? why not WPA? I have.....um.....legacy..equipment to contend with.

Sven Johannsen
08-31-2005, 02:40 PM
Just a thought. Does the top bar on your PPC look like that in Cybrid's picture. With the double circle double arrow thing next to the speaker icon? That shows connected. Could be that you are connected via WiFi to the router/AP but have other settings that are keeping you off the internet.

Cybrid
08-31-2005, 08:21 PM
Just a thought. Does the top bar on your PPC look like that in Cybrid's picture. With the double circle double arrow thing next to the speaker icon? That shows connected. Could be that you are connected via WiFi to the router/AP but have other settings that are keeping you off the internet.Good point!
I forgot about connection mangler. In case you are "connected" but you find you can't get online.
Try Al's mini how to for connection manager.
http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/Connection_Manager/ConnectionManager.html

franswey
08-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Thank you! all your great assiatance! I'm up and running! Even the e-mail went through.

Cybrid
08-31-2005, 11:29 PM
Thank you! all your great assiatance! I'm up and running! Even the e-mail went through.
No prob! That's what this forum is for. :)