View Full Version : dell x50v and car charger

kaitanium
08-27-2005, 01:55 AM
having some problems with car charging. i recently bought a iPDA retractable sync/charge cable with a usb car plug adapter and everytime i use the x50 in my car with it, the screen backlight flickers off and on and on and off like a strobe light =P and doesnt stop until i unplug it. thinking it was the retractable cable's and adapter's fault, i had the seller send me another one and i tried that and same problem. then i bought a dedicated car charger and that didnt work either. whats going on? anyone have any hints? i dont want my axim to fry....my previous hp 2210 had no problems using car chargers

Darius Wey
08-27-2005, 03:47 AM
Strange. :? Could it be the particular manufacturer's sync/charge cable? For what it's worth, I've been using Pocket PC Techs' (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/) range of cables for my h1940 and X50v, and not once has it failed me.

kaitanium
08-27-2005, 04:46 AM
could it be? all THREE cables? haha that would be something.....

kaitanium
08-27-2005, 05:49 PM
im wondering if i can but a sync n charge cable from some other company and just use ppctecs usb power adapater for the car....i really dont trust the quality of retractable cables anymore. maybe its my car, ill try it on another car tonite and see whats up

miterb
08-27-2005, 07:03 PM
At BoxWave they have found out that the Axim X50v and X50 require more current to charge than previous devices. They sell a 'High Current' version of their car charger. Their 'VersaCharger' will not work with the X50's -- I know, I tried.

http://www.boxwave.com/products/carcharger/highoutput-car-charger.htm

Brad

kaitanium
08-27-2005, 09:41 PM
that could be the root of my problems! makes sense now why all 3 of my chargers fail to keep the device running smoothly. i wonder if the adapter at ppctechs is up for the job, if not then its boxwave for me. thanks miterb for the heads up. so miterb, you had the same problem with regular car chargers on the x50s?

looks like ill pick up a direct sync cable and high power bundle

miterb
08-27-2005, 10:27 PM
that could be the root of my problems! makes sense now why all 3 of my chargers fail to keep the device running smoothly. i wonder if the adapter at ppctechs is up for the job, if not then its boxwave for me. thanks miterb for the heads up. so miterb, you had the same problem with regular car chargers on the x50s?

looks like ill pick up a direct sync cable and high power bundle

I already had a Boxwave VersaCharger and initially just bought the Lil Sync cable for the X50v. I didn't look at the full description page for the cable and it says what it works with - the VersaCharger was omitted. This was pointed out to me by the staff. So I bought both a wall charger and the high-power car charger. Staff said that the wall adapter for a car charger would not work either.
Oh yes, the specs for the high-current charger say it delivers a 'full amp' of power.

Brad

Mitch D
08-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Well I just used my PPC Tech's USB AA Battery Adapter on my Ax for the first time since I got it and experienced the same problem with it as your having with you car charger kaitanium.

This is not a good thing, I was looking forward to having extra battery power present when I am at conference at the end of Sept. I might have to break down and order a high cap. battery from Dell now... Dang it.

Never realized that the X50v drew so much power, I don't regret buying it but I do wish I had ordered the extended battery when I bought it.

Darius Wey
08-29-2005, 02:50 AM
Never realized that the X50v drew so much power, I don't regret buying it but I do wish I had ordered the extended battery when I bought it.

One of the gotcha's is that you need to have the device off in order to charge through USB or through the car charger. This was never the case with my h1940 which could be charged whilst on or off. It seems an always-on high-power car charger is the way to go, especially for GPS solutions.

Mitch D
08-29-2005, 03:20 AM
One of the gotcha's is that you need to have the device off in order to charge through USB or through the car charger. This was never the case with my h1940 which could be charged whilst on or off. It seems an always-on high-power car charger is the way to go, especially for GPS solutions.

Jeeze do I feel like an idiot, I never even thought about it working properly when I had my Ax turned off... Thanks for the save Darius...

kaitanium
08-29-2005, 06:55 AM
yea my "faulty" cables work fine when charging the axim off. but its useless when i want to use gps since i guess it doenst provide enough juice. thats ok ive ordered a high power adapater and dircet sync cable from boxwave already. hopefully i got more than enough juice in my 5 year old car battery to support that 1amp =P

miterb
08-30-2005, 01:45 PM
My Boxwave High Capacity Car Charger and a Wall Charger both arrived yesterday to be used with the Mini-Sync cable. Both units support simultaneous charging and operation of the Axim X50v. I'm now all set for a "Road Trip".

Brad

kaitanium
08-30-2005, 05:09 PM
sweet action. i didnt get a mini sync cable cuz i those things seem to be somewhat flimsy no matter how "rugged" they are built. besides they arent that much smaller than a regular cable rolled up

kaitanium
09-03-2005, 12:27 AM
just got the charger! man this thing hisses loud! sounds like its sucking the juice outta my car. again i hope my old old battery can take it....