View Full Version : WiFi, ActiveSync, Pocket Hosts

baker
08-26-2005, 04:13 AM
I've been syncing over wifi for about a year. Then my 4155 quit syncing with our laptop. I tried a lot of suggestions I could find and even disabled every protection we had. Nothing worked. I re-enable all of the protection and install Pocket Hosts and now I can sync via WiFi. Can someone explain to me why the syncing stopped without any changes and why Pocket Hosts fixed things? :oops:

Leon
08-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Can someone explain to me why the syncing stopped without any changes and why Pocket Hosts fixed things? :oops:
I've had that once too. For some reason, a setting in the registry (on the PC, not the Pocket PC) had suddenly changed and made it impossible to sync over Wifi. Re-setting the registry entry to 4 (m-node) solved it.

Registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters\NodeType

Info based on the following KB articles:
MSKB 314053
NodeType
Key: Netbt\Parameters
Value Type: REG_DWORD - Number
Valid Range: 1,2,4,8 (B-node, P-node, M-node, H-node)
Default: 1 or 8 based on the WINS server configuration
Description: This parameter determines what methods NetBT uses to register and resolve names. A B-node system uses broadcasts. A P-node system uses only point- to-point name queries to a name server (WINS). An M-node system broadcasts first, and then queries the name server. An H-node system queries the name server first, and then broadcasts. Resolution through LMHOSTS and/or DNS, if enabled, follows these methods. If this key is present, it will override the DhcpNodeType key. If neither key is present, the system defaults to B-node if there are no WINS servers configured for the network. The system defaults to H-node if there is at least one WINS server configured.
MSKB Q160177
NodeType
Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters
Value Type: REG_DWORD - Number
Valid Range: 1,2,4,8 (b-node, p-node, m-node, h-node)
Default: 1 or 8 based on the WINS server configuration
Description: This parameter determines what methods NetBT will use to register and resolve names. A b-node system uses broadcasts. A p-node system uses only point-to-point name queries to a name server (WINS). An m- node system broadcasts first, then queries the name server. An h-node system queries the name server first, then broadcasts. Resolution through LMHOSTS and/or Domain Name Service (DNS), if enabled, will follow these methods. If this key is present, it will override the DhcpNodeType key. If neither key is present, the system defaults to b-node if there are no WINS servers configured for the client. The system defaults to h-node if there is at least one WINS server configured.

Hope this helps.

baker
08-26-2005, 02:42 PM
:lol: Thank you. I don't know how you figured this out. I know I wouldn't have. You may have also solved an issue with my daughter's laptop! Thanks!!!