View Full Version : Real Spec of the Asus A620bt?

bsxiong
08-25-2005, 03:50 AM
hi all,

I'm planning to buy the Asus a620bt today and i wanted to know a little more before i buy it.

I've heard about the battery length. 19hrs??? I thought it was unbeilieveable. anyone knows what the actual lenght for it is if you use it to play games and listen to MP3?

Can you Jog with it like a mp3 player? (just curious)
will it support WMA?

types of mvie files?

n what other coool feature does it have including file tpyes that it can run and what can't it run?

jhennig
08-25-2005, 04:47 AM
For files, just get the right software. Batt life varies. For more hours turn off or down battery using features like bluetooth, cpu speed, and backlight brightness. Read a review if you want information.

kaitanium
08-25-2005, 06:24 AM
never believe those battery life specs that manufacturers dish out

yes it wont skip and and you can jog with it provided you DONT get a microdrive with it and yes it will play wma

bsxiong
08-26-2005, 12:00 AM
my brother told me that palms are the best becuase its more stable and doesn't break down alot. But me, as a microsoft guy, want a PPC. Help me out here, should i get a palm or a PPC? What is the difference betweent them?

I've read somewhere online that the a620bt can't run microsoft word files or even microsoft excel.!! is this true?

And lastly, (if you know) Do you recommend me buying the asus a620bt or the tungsten t5?

PetiteFlower
08-26-2005, 01:38 AM
This is a Pocket PC site. With very rare exceptions, no one here is going to tell you to buy a palm!

kaitanium
08-26-2005, 03:14 AM
hehe thats true! started off as a palm user but once i got my hands on a ppc i never turned back! not even the slightest!

lol the asus cant run word files? now where did you hear that? ill be dumbfounded if a microsoft based device cant run microsoft files.

jhennig
08-26-2005, 03:29 AM
Just like all pocket pcs, it can run wma, doc, txt, rtf, wav, jpg, gif, bmp, all those basic file formats supported by every computer especially ones created BY microsoft.

bsxiong
08-26-2005, 06:47 AM
ok, the hrs they said was averaged to 19 hrs. OMG i can't beleive this at first. Is this really true? People that i know that owns a PDA says that their PDA only last on average of 4 hrs.

It's been a year later now, and this Asus a620bt has dropped over 100bucks. Is it still a "Great" PPC? I'm planing to watch Movies, Pictures, listen to mp3s, use words, xcel, and play games.

I've also read that Compact Flash memory use up a lot of battery. Is this true?

Lastly, so i can transfer all my .DOC, mpeg, jpeg, mp3, and .XLS (xcel), straight to and from my PPC (drag and drop) like a flash drive without installing anything on my computer.( Like a plug and play). Just making sure, some says it can, some says it can't.

I'm just confused, i buying my first PDA and i want it to have all that i needed, i don't want my brother who owns a Palm Tungsten t5 to tease me about " I told you to get a Palm but you didn't believe me, you wasted a lot of money, and to be so dissappointed in it " because he kept on pressuring me to get a Palm, the New LifeDrive.

Thanks All for Much help and REsponses

Stephen Beesley
08-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Just like all pocket pcs, it can run wma, doc, txt, rtf, wav, jpg, gif, bmp, all those basic file formats supported by every computer especially ones created BY microsoft.

That is certainly true - but only up to a point with some of those file formats.

In the case of Word and Excel formats, Pocket Word and Pocket Excel can only handle a basic subset of the formats/functions available in the desktop version. For example Pocket Word will not handle tables or cope very well with complex formatting changes and, at least in the PPC2002/WM2003 versions of Pocket Excel there is no support for charts and other advanced features. If you open a file with such complex formatting in the pocket application it will just strip out the formatting it cannot handle.

There are, of course, third party applications (TextMaker and PlanMaker for example) which will give a much better transfer experience but they are an extra cost.

Even so - I would still take a Pocket PC over a Palm every day... :D

jhennig
08-26-2005, 01:48 PM
ok, the hrs they said was averaged to 19 hrs. OMG i can't beleive this at first. Is this really true? People that i know that owns a PDA says that their PDA only last on average of 4 hrs.

It's been a year later now, and this Asus a620bt has dropped over 100bucks. Is it still a "Great" PPC? I'm planing to watch Movies, Pictures, listen to mp3s, use words, xcel, and play games.

I've also read that Compact Flash memory use up a lot of battery. Is this true?

With heavy use, you should get 6-8 hours with it. With music only, backlight off, no other programs running, I once got 12 hours. It IS still a GREAT Pocket PC. About the CF Card, if you need it, you need it. My A620 had excellent battery life and i never considered taking it out.

PetiteFlower
08-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Compact flash memory does not use up significantly more battery then normal. You may be thinking of a microdrive, which is a hard drive that goes into a compact flash slot. Those DO use a lot of battery, and they are also much more delicate then solid state memory, and are slower. I don't recommend those. But flash memory, either in SD or CF forms, is a great thing, especially if you want to carry around lots of music or movies.