View Full Version : Mozilla Minimo .008 Released

Janak Parekh
08-25-2005, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/dougt/archives/008751.html' target='_blank'>http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/doug...ves/008751.html</a><br /><br /></div>Minimo, the early port of the Mozilla browser to Pocket PCs, has been updated to v0.008. New features include SSL support, full screen mode, performance improvements, a neat <a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=6463">spatial navigation</a> feature and more. Of course, it's still early development code, so try it at your own risk. If you decide to, please post back and let us know how it fares.

powder2000
08-25-2005, 01:09 AM
Since day 1, this program has refused to work in my axim x50v. :roll:

surur
08-25-2005, 01:17 AM
It finally runs on my Loox 720, but its still QVGA with horribly ugly pixel doubled text. I suggest we buy the main developer a VGA PPC, so he can see the value of supporting the higher resolution. This is how the Zodiac guys got Picard (from TCMP fame) to support the graphics accelerator in their devices.

I'm up for a $5-10 donation to give him a nice Loox :)

Surur

jngold_me
08-25-2005, 03:56 AM
Since day 1, this program has refused to work in my axim x50v. :roll:

Same here on a 2750. :roll:

baralong
08-25-2005, 06:44 AM
On my 4150 I had a few problems with the startup, and I had to turn SSR (small screen rendering) and it seems to work. Although with no menu bar at the bottom of the screen text input seems a bit weird. If I could move the page tabs down it'd be better.

Full screen browsing works. I was surprised there was no "open link in other tab" option. The spatial navigation is kind of cool.

At this stage I still prefer PIE with multiIE

pjerry220
08-25-2005, 01:15 PM
With all of these problems I am reading here I don't even want to try this application. Is it really that bad?

surur
08-25-2005, 02:26 PM
It doesnt really matter how bad it is right now. Its an early alpha, and its interesting to see the development happen in public.

If you think its bad now you should have seen the version before this. :) :)

The good thing is that it can only get better, and its an open source project, so even if the developer decides to drop it some-one else can take it up and finish the job.

Surur

maikii
08-25-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm a Firefox user, so of course it interests me to have a PPC version of it.

I haven't tried this version .008 yet, downloading right now.

I have tried .007 on my IPAQ 2210, and it's pretty bad!

First of all--there is no installation program. You just unzip the zip file to a folder on your PPC. And despite the name, it is large--way larger than any PPC application I have ever seen. The zip file itself (zipped) is larger than the installation file for desktop Firefox.

It is VERY SLOW to startup. Very long wait. There seems to be no bookmark capability, no auto-complete, none of these features we expect in browsers. I was not able to access any web page with it.

I asked on their forum if there was any intention to develop a smartphone version as well (I have an Audiovox SMT5600 as well as my IPAQ), and the answer was No. (The version is called "for Windows Mobile", which implies both PPC and SP, but it really is only for PPC.)

I know the program is now in very early beta, but using it in its present state (as of .007, at least) will not get many users interested in this browser. I sure hope it improves. A real FF for WM would be quite nice.

Craig Horlacher
08-26-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm running .008 on my toshiba e830. I bought netfront and can't even explain how upset I am that it still doesn't support vga...that makes it almost useless to me. I still rely on SE_VGA for any resonable web browsing because rebooting usually isn't worth it.

Anyway, I was dissopointed that minimo doesn't support vga either but I like the full screen implementation. It already beats pocket ie in my book since it's got tabbed browsing. I thought the page rendering seems very good for such an early product.

I think I had it crash/hang once and I don't really like the way "ok" in the top right is really an exit.

I think minimo has a lot of potential and I'm looking forward to new versions.

Right now, my psp is actually better then my pocket pc for light browsing. The browser is very well optimized for the device.

after_forever
08-30-2005, 07:54 PM
~runnigs on my Dell X3, but only goes to the google site. No matter what i type in, it displays google.

After Forever
build a better browser and they will come.