View Full Version : Intel Previews Monahans CPU

Jon Westfall
08-24-2005, 02:06 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2601' target='_blank'>http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2601</a><br /><br /></div><i>"At IDF, Intel today previewed the Monahans CPU, a gigahertz-class successor to the currently widely used Pocket PC CPU Bulverde. The 90nm part is due to be formally launched in Q4 2005, Sean Maloney, VP and General Manager of Intel's Mobility Group, said today at Intel Developer Forum. "</i><br /><br />the::unwired is reporting on a new chip currently being shown off by Intel as a successor to the Bulverde's that many Pocket PCs currently use. Running at 1 GHz and a 25% increase in performance, this sounds like a nice chip for our future Pocket PCs to utilize.

Fishie
08-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Oh baby, come to papa

surur
08-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Interesting development. Non-cellphone PDA's are able to incorperate advances in technology easier, and come to market faster, so I'm sure we will see this chip in a handheld before we see it in a phone.

If there continues to be a wide discrepancy between the best tablet PDA's and the best PPCphones then this may actually ensure the survival of traditional ( non-cellphone) PDA's.

Surur

Sven Johannsen
08-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Need to break out the welder's gloves to hold these things I imagine. My ~ 1Ghz laptops and tablets get pretty hot, and some even have fans.

Heard the story of the Russian (not that there is anything wrong with that) scientist showing of a technological marvel. A wristwatch with a PC, TV, TX/Rx radios in 5 bands, and GPS. A reporter notices a cable going to a briefcase the scientist is holding. "What's that?", he asks. The scientist responds, "Well, the battery is still a bit big."

Janak Parekh
08-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Need to break out the welder's gloves to hold these things I imagine. My ~ 1Ghz laptops and tablets get pretty hot, and some even have fans.
Yeah, but you're not talking the same processor. Pentium Ms are still pretty complex CISC-like chips. I'd like to think this one will remain cool.

--janak

ricksfiona
08-24-2005, 06:38 PM
We're also forgetting about power usage. Are we going to get less use time on our PDAs or are we going to need bigger/more powerful batteries?

Jason Dunn
08-24-2005, 06:51 PM
We're also forgetting about power usage. Are we going to get less use time on our PDAs or are we going to need bigger/more powerful batteries?

Yeah, that's the big question - let's hope power consumption doesn't scale on par with performance. I'm pretty happy with what a 624 mhz CPU can do when paired with the Intel 2700 GPU, so what I don't want to see is a 30% drop in battery life. 8O

ricksfiona
08-25-2005, 12:26 AM
1GHz in my PDA? That would rock! They would need to have a GPU to really make it sweet. Add this to a Phone Edition PPC you got a guaranteed customer. Something like this would probably cost big bucks though.

Fishie
08-25-2005, 01:14 AM
Urgh, seriously people(al of you), it would help if you actually READ the article before spouting off:

Maloney indicated Monahans would deliver around 25 per cent more performance than Bulverde - 1000 mips to 800 mips, according to a chart he presented - but he didn't specify the two parts' clock speeds. Bulverde is currently offered at up to 624MHz. So a 50 per cent increase in clock speed is delivering only a 25 per cent increase in performance. That's in part due to Monahans' lower power consumption, though Maloney did not indicate now much lower.

So just like the XScales use les energy at 624MHz then the StrongArmīs did at 206 MHz this one uses less energy at 1GHz then the XSCales.

jasondearyou
09-06-2005, 02:02 AM
this wouldn't be sensible for the pocketpc phone, however would be advantageous for the pocket pc, as it is more a power user tool.