View Full Version : What to Decide? - Samsung SCH-i730 or Audiovox XV6600 With Camera

tvos
08-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Pocket PC Friends,

My contract with verizon is coming to an end and I'll re-sign up with a new contract. The dilemnia that I face which pocket pc should I go with? I know this will be a preference, but utlimately I've mixed feelings.

My first instinct is to go with the I730, but I hate the fact that the screen and phone size is small. Another quark is that there's no camera feature to the pocket pc. Along with the SD card on the side.

Secondly, I like the audiovox XC6600 with the camera, SD card and size that I'm use to. The problems I see with this is the plastic cheap casing it comes in and it doesn't include wifi - only VZN broadband high speed network. Not a big deal to me on the network part of it because I should be able to use the basic dial-up to access email, internet etc..

Right now, I've the I700 pocket pc and its a great piece of machinary. Sure it doesn't have bluetooth, wifi but it does get the job done and I'm happy.

Can both users of these two pocket pc's list their pro's / cons of both devices. Give me a little more insight on this before I decide and make a decision.

Thank You,

Tvos

ntractv
08-23-2005, 11:50 PM
I can't help you decide, but, I do love the form factor of the I730. Unfortunately, I agree that the screen is way to small. I don't mind the SD slot is on the side nor that it does not have a camera. Right now I have a Motorola V710 that has Bluetooth with Verizon and an iPAQ 5555 so at least if I'm not near a T-Mobile hotspot I can pair the two and grab my e-mails and I have always been leary of a converged device. Also, I hear the battery life on the I730 isn't all that great. I haven't heard, but, hopefully they will be coming out with a new version of the device with WM5 being released, but, if the screen is the same I might have to shy away. I would like to keep my eyesight a litter longer. I do love the fact though that it does have WiFi.

tvos
08-24-2005, 05:25 AM
Ntractv,

I know what you mean by preference and it will be a tough call. I will probally end purchasing the XV6600 just because what I mentioned.

Anyways, since my contract is coming to an end - can I use other pocket pc's outside of the box that verizon sells or am I stuck with those two?

tvos

JPD6825
08-24-2005, 12:51 PM
How about you put some leather on the Audivox and forget about the cheap plastic underneath.

I used to have an Audiovox phone I got from Verizon (but not PPC) and was pretty happy with it - even though I was skeptical about the brand on day 1.

More thoughts.
Don't cut corners on the screen.

Don't sweat the decision too much. In 2 years you'll be right back in the Verizon store looking at new hardware and a new contract.

BEST IDEA:
Negotiate with the Verizon guys - offer to go to a 3 year contract if they'll give you the hardware for free.

ccharris1
08-24-2005, 02:17 PM
I believe that anyone considering a PocketPC phone should ask whether they want a PocketPC with phone capabilities or a phone with PocketPC capabilities. Most of the converged devices seem to be a phone first and a PocketPC second. The i730 falls in the middle.

I use my PocketPC constantly all day long. For better or worse, my life revolves around calendar, tasks, and contacts. I only use my cell phone a few times a day. So, I'm the exception -- PocketPC first, phone second.

I tried the i730 from Verizon. It was a great device. However, the screen was smaller than I like. I even read books on the device! I returned it during the 15 day grace period offered by Verizon.

I purchased a Siemens SX66 (same as Audiovox 6600, without camera) from Cingular because Cingular was selling it for half of Verizon's price. While the SX66 is larger than my previous PocketPC (HP 4155), it really does the job as a PocketPC and is a very usable phone.

This is only my experience for what it's worth.

Craig.

tvos
08-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Ccharris1,

I understand what you mean by pocket pc first, phone second. That was never a problem. I've always used both applications for the pocket pc and phone. It has been a blessing that I've owned the audiovox thera and samsung i700.

My view of this I'll probally go with the XV6000 instead of the Samsung I700 just because of the screen size.

Jpd6825, - thanks for the 3yr tip.. I have $100. off this coming october which the phone will be $300. for 2yrs. Worse case scenario, I can always take the phone back within the grace period and stay with the I700.

Tvos

Macguy59
09-12-2005, 01:51 AM
Small screen and woeful battery life are what keep me from ditching my XV6600 for this device.

tvos
09-12-2005, 02:42 AM
byteme,

How long have you had thhe XV6000? The one thing that seems cheap is the casing and the slide out qwerty keyboard.

what othher hang ups have you exp with this? also, can you use quick2net thru vzn on this device?

pls advise...

Macguy59
09-12-2005, 02:53 AM
byteme,

How long have you had thhe XV6000? The one thing that seems cheap is the casing and the slide out qwerty keyboard.

what othher hang ups have you exp with this? also, can you use quick2net thru vzn on this device?

pls advise...

I've had the 6600 since early June. Cheap casing implies easily damaged. With normal use I've found it to be durable but like anything painted it will eventually show scuff marks and/or scratches. I can't speak to Q2N because I'm always in 1X territory but if you manually set up the internet connection to dial that instead I don't know why it wouldn't work. I've never used the built-in keyboard as I'm proficient with the onscreen keyboard. My only gripe so far is that I occasionally miss calls. <ie> I'll get a call but no ring through or notification of a missed call or voicemail until I manually check.

tvos
09-12-2005, 02:56 AM
whhat about the bluetooth stereo capability and camera?

how are the pictures come out?

tvos

Don't Panic!
09-12-2005, 03:02 AM
The SCH i730 is not a gamer. If you want to play games stick to stylus controlled titles.

Headpones are hard to find as well.

I'd classify the SCH i730 as an excellent work tool. Great for business users.

JohnJohn
09-12-2005, 07:36 AM
Well I've owned both(ok i had the Siemens Sx66 same thing). Go with the i730.

The 6000's keyboard bites. I hated it, I could never tell if I pushed it hard enough.

The screen is smaller on the i730, but I think the quality is better.

There is a Samsung work around for using the i730 and a USB modem to get EVDO on a laptop. (BIG key to my happiness)

i730 comes with two batteries, extended and standard

i730 comes with a nice hard plastic cover belt clip that allows the device to have it's screen facing in while traveling.

The sliding keyboard in 110% better on the i730. It feels spring loaded, not too much that it would open automaticly, but it's very simple and sturdy.

Fresh in my mind cause I just posted this up on my Blog. :) www.pocketup.com.

Macguy59
09-12-2005, 08:30 PM
whhat about the bluetooth stereo capability and camera?

how are the pictures come out?

tvos

The picture quality is typical of VGA camera's . . . poor. Although it is slightly better than the one in my Treo 600. Have not tried a BT headset yet but it's on my list of things to do :D

tvos
11-04-2005, 12:20 AM
I decided to go with the XV6600 and am not regretting my purchase. Its a deffinite improvement from the thera and samsung i700.. the caseing actualyl is durable enough and and layout is good. the model that the vzn stores use is a prop and I was going off of that..

so glad that i didn't get the i730...

tvos