View Full Version : WiFi fine at work, but not at home (proxy issue?)

QYV
08-23-2005, 04:45 AM
I have the iMate Jam Pocket PC and the Spectec SDIO WiFi card. I can connect to the WiFi at work and use the Internet just fine, but at home I run into problems. I've entered the WEP key and appear to have connected, and the Spectec utility shows a valid IP address (not 169.etc). However, actually browsing anywhere with Pocket Internet Explorer or trying to get my e-mail fails as though I'm not connected. If I have GPRS enabled, the Jam tries to connect that way, and if I put it into flight mode (to force the WiFi be used), it errors out.

Under Settings - Connections (Tasks tab) I have My ISP set up with the GPRS. Under My Work Network, when I am at work, there is a proxy server. I know that when I try to connect at home I need to disable the proxy, so I tried unchecking the "This network uses a proxy..." box and then tapping OK. When I went back into My Work Network and checked the proxy tab, the "This network connects to the Internet..." box is also unchecked, and the proxy itself is no longer listed. No matter what I do, I can't get either box checked. I suspect this is a problem because I know how to set up the WiFi using all "Work" (I've seen the FAQ at CEWindows.net) and I know you have to have "This network connects to the Internet..." checked.

One thing I don't think I can do is set Connections to only use My Work Network, because if I try to use my GPRS though the My Work instead of My ISP, it'll attempt the use the proxy and thus screw up the GPRS. So I need to keep it My ISP and My Work for GPRS and WiFi respectively, unless I am missing something.

So is the proxy server messing things up? Once it's deleted, shouldn't I be able to select the "This network connects to the Internet..." box and have the setting persist? Does anyone else use WiFi and GPRS on one device and have any pointers?