View Full Version : Get An SMS From Your Light Bulb When It Burns Out?

Ed Hansberry
08-19-2005, 11:00 PM
<a href="http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000433054880/">http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000433054880/</a><br /><br />Apparently some company is working on a light bulb that will send you an SMS message telling you when it burns out. I would think the dark room would be a pretty good indicator, but I guess for those of you that might find yourself sitting in the dark wondering why you can't see anything, an SMS message like this can be enlightening. <br /><br />Personally, I'd rather have my refrigerator SMS me when the last can of Mountain Dew is gone, or my pantry SMS me when the popcorn supply is critically low. And who could be more appreciative if your toilet paper holder pinged you <i>before</i> it ran out of paper? It would have to know when to SMS you though to be beneficial. Pulling off that last square is bad enough. You don't need your phone mocking you at that point telling you there is a problem.

martin_ayton
08-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Well, that's just silly :roll: . However, the notion does have more realistic applications: Just as I was getting out of chemical plant engineering maintenance 4 years ago, instruments were being developed which could and did send an SMS or an email to specified addresses when they went into fault condition. Personally, I had had enough of plant operators calling me at 3am to say they had a problem without the plant being able to do it all by itself. And my plant which, although large, was relatively unsophisticated in control and instrumentation terms, had only a couple of hundred instruments which would be likely to call me. Colleagues had plants with literally thousands of such 8O . Brrr, doesn't bear thinking about...

G M Fude
08-20-2005, 12:07 AM
I use SMS to communicate a lot, especially when I'm working overseas. Access is everywhere and it's so cheap. And with a PDA for text input it's damn fast, too. Do you think there'll ever be an integrated freebie SMS app in Windows Mobile (say, WM5?) like in the Palm OS? SimpleSMS does the job for me, but gee whiz US$30...

..would be helpful when the lightbulbs are blowing, too. :?

Gremmie
08-20-2005, 12:25 AM
That's true with a plant, there are usually people there to notice that thing. Nevertheless, how abut an SMS message when your fire alarm goes off, or a sensor detects a natural gas leak, carbon monoxide, etc. A light bulb is too banal for an alert, a plant is too redundant, but home sensor is just about right.

As an example (the above post about int'l travel reminded me of this), a teacher was on a cruise over spring break, when he got home his basement was flooded. It could have been helpful to receive a text message.

alabij
08-20-2005, 01:33 AM
Actually it's pretty worthwhile. ie. Save money on sending people to check on burnt out lights in large department stores, instead send them/or him/her only when needed. Also on highways, burnt out lights can be discovered and replaced faster rather than waiting for driver complaints or sending someone to check.
This is very smart and cost effective though it may also depend on the cost of the technology.

ctmagnus
08-20-2005, 02:22 AM
With this technology, if someone asks you if your fridge is running, you can just get it to send them a SMS with it's status (and location, speed, calories used, distance covered, date of the next marathon, etc ;) )

PeterLake
08-20-2005, 04:33 AM
With this technology, if someone asks you if your fridge is running, you can just get it to send them a SMS with it's status (and location, speed, calories used, distance covered, date of the next marathon, etc ;) )

:D :roll:

ombu
08-20-2005, 04:41 AM
Hmm, :idea: got it!!! An auto-answer feature with a message template:

"Please Mr. Bulb, could you stand a little longer till it's work time? Thanks in advance."

vinodis
08-20-2005, 06:45 AM
here in india earth quake warning systems with sms are in place.

caubeck
08-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Personally, I'd rather have my refrigerator SMS me

"When are you coming home? I'm...cold..."

Spooky.

SteveHoward999
08-20-2005, 04:06 PM
"When are you coming home? Your beer is cold... "

Sven Johannsen
08-21-2005, 03:47 AM
Personally, I'd rather have my refrigerator SMS me

"When are you coming home? I'm...cold..."

Spooky.
Now there you go. A device you stick in the six pack to SMS you when the beer is cold. Better yet a meat thermometer that SMS's you as the steaks on the grill reach a set doneness, so you can sit drinking the cold beer and not overcooking the steaks.

Darius Wey
08-21-2005, 04:34 AM
Better yet a meat thermometer that SMS's you as the steaks on the grill reach a set doneness, so you can sit drinking the cold beer and not overcooking the steaks.

And if the steak SMS fails, you're screwed. Time to go to Pizza Hut. :lol:

dMores
08-21-2005, 04:25 PM
i'm more a fan of real-time monitoring.

i'd like to have one of those home-maintenance-monitoring things where you can connect with your web-browser (on your work-PC, or when you're abroad using PDA or cybercafe.)
then you can see all kinds of things ... from burnt-out-bulbs to intruder alarms to basement-flooding-monitors to refrigerator-content-analyzers, milk-gone-bad-sensors etc.