View Full Version : HTC Wizard Coming to the US in October?

Janak Parekh
08-17-2005, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000840054620/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000840054620/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"We’re a little sketched out by this one, since obviously it wouldn’t be too hard to fake, but reader 'Armin' posted a link in the comments to yesterday’s post about the Qtek 8310 to what is purportedly a page from a leaked Cingular product schedule that shows the HTC Wizard with an estimated arrival date of October 24th. Definitely not impossible, just the first we’ve heard about a solid release date for the Wizard here in the States."</i><br /><br />Engadget begins the rumor mill on the <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41873">HTC Wizard</a> (the GSM successor to the HTC Magician, with slide-out keyboard). I'm skeptical, but hopeful that it'll come so soon.

Jerry Raia
08-17-2005, 04:07 PM
If this is true I could be in serious trouble. There are too many new devices coming especially on the phone side. I can't go buy them all!

:devilboy: Sure you can Jerry. :devilboy:

netboy
08-17-2005, 04:30 PM
If this is true I could be in serious trouble. There are too many new devices coming especially on the phone side. I can't go buy them all!

:devilboy: Sure you can Jerry. :devilboy:

really?? ALL IS THE SAME! unless it got VGA screen! i currently have a VX6600 pocketPhone.. and a Dell X50v. the VGA screen is SO MUCH better looking then the QVGA screen in vx6600. the only pocketPhone going to replace my vx6600 is a VGA pocketPhone..

Jerry Raia
08-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Well when the VGA's show up I'll have to buy those too I guess! :devilboy:

andydempsey
08-17-2005, 05:36 PM
My current PDA and cell phone are both dying and my cingular contract runs out in october. I'll probably plunk for one of these and maybe sell it to upgrade to a VGA one next year if they surface and I feel the need.

The unuversal would be the dogs bollocks, but no 850, means its the dogs crap for me.

ale_ers
08-17-2005, 06:35 PM
The unuversal would be the dogs bollocks, but no 850, means its the dogs crap for me.

I agree. Also because it will have UMTS instead of EDGE I don't know if it will be released in the US by anyone other than iMate. Then there is the 850 band problem. I would much rather have the Universal, but what is the point of having a device that you can't use to its potential.

The Wizard does sacrifice a lot from the Universal, but it does have a great size while still maintaining a keyboard. The processor is what worries me.

Darren Behan
08-17-2005, 06:48 PM
SmartDevicesDirect.com is offering the Magician as the Qtek 9100 for pre-sale. If you want it in the US and are willing to do without local support, you can hop on it now.

db

Ploobers
08-17-2005, 07:29 PM
SmartDevicesDirect.com is offering the Magician as the Qtek 9100 for pre-sale

Has anybody ever ordered from this website before? Do they actually deliver when they say they will? The site guarantees shipping on October 3. I was very happy to see that the price was only $460 USD and as long as I'm convinced they aren't going to steal my money, I'm going to hop on that bandwagon!

MG
08-17-2005, 07:44 PM
SmartDevicesDirect.com is offering the Magician as the Qtek 9100 for pre-sale

Has anybody ever ordered from this website before? Do they actually deliver when they say they will? The site guarantees shipping on October 3. I was very happy to see that the price was only $460 USD and as long as I'm convinced they aren't going to steal my money, I'm going to hop on that bandwagon!

I'm not sure how you do YOUR math but at $1.75 USD to GBP and a 339 GBP price equals $593 USD. Plus taxes, shipping, etc...

Mark

Ploobers
08-17-2005, 07:51 PM
I didn't even check to see what currency it was. I just assumed Euros. I was boggled about how they could charge so little for their products. There shouldn't be any tax ordering it to the US and they charge 35 GBP for shipping, bringing the total to 374 GBP or $675 USD. That's still a whole lot cheaper than the $754 Expansys (http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=124862) is charging unshipped. I'd just feel a lot better ordering from a site with a reputation.

Darren Behan
08-17-2005, 08:56 PM
I got my ETen M500 from them and have pre-ordered the 9100. Didn't have a problem with the ETen being shipped as promised but it was also released for some time when I ordered it.

All I can tell you is that I have spoken to the folks over there a few times and they've been nothing but helpful. My feeling is that if there is any delay, it's in getting the product to them not them getting it to you. I have no problem recommending them. Ask for Richard and tell 'em Darren sent ya! Actually that probably won't accomplish anything other than him going "Oh...yeah...right...that guy...anyway, how can I help you?"

Only negative (particularly if you are in the US and wan't to avoid long distance charges) is that they don't always answer forum posts on their site in a timely fashion. If you call them, they are quite willing to help in whatever way they can but don't bother with the forums.

To clear up any final confusion over translating the price. With shipping to the US it is indeed 374 GBP whihc translates (today anyway) into about 670 USD. Definitely cheaper than expansys.

Paragon
08-17-2005, 09:08 PM
really?? ALL IS THE SAME! unless it got VGA screen! i currently have a VX6600 pocketPhone.. and a Dell X50v. the VGA screen is SO MUCH better looking then the QVGA screen in vx6600. the only pocketPhone going to replace my vx6600 is a VGA pocketPhone..

Most Phone Edition devices announced so far have a 2.8" screen I think having a screen that small with VGA resolution would be nearly impossible for most people to see. VGA looks great on a 4" screen, but is difficult enough for some folks to see properly. For this reason I doubt we will see many VGA screens on devices with the smaller 2.8" screen. Just because of the smaller size they have a tighter looking resolution. At least that's the way I see it anyway.

Dave

Dave

Janak Parekh
08-18-2005, 03:59 AM
No, they are not the same. Until you've seen the size of these puppies it's hard to fathom the difference. They are much smaller than other Pocket PCs.

--janak

Jeff Song
08-18-2005, 04:58 AM
No, they are not the same. Until you've seen the size of these puppies it's hard to fathom the difference. They are much smaller than other Pocket PCs.

--janak
Yes you are indeed correct. I was amazed to see the size of the 2.8" screen on the Samsung i730 - not too small, but definitely MUCH smaller than a traditional ppc, even those with just a 3.5" screen. I can only imagine the tiny text and the cost associated with cramping VGA into a 2.8" device.