View Full Version : Looking for a Pop Peeper equivelant on PPC.....

Andy Whiteford
08-16-2005, 10:52 AM
After moving to another ISP and deciding just to operate using web mail from now on - I was on the lookout for a tool to check all my email accounts and notify me of anything new.
Pop Peeper http://www.poppeeper.com/ on the desktop was exactly what I was looking for and I heartily recommend it however I would ideally like to find something that can do the same on the Pocket PC.

My criteria is a tool that will automatically connect to different mail accounts and notifiy me of any new messages and display the send and subject line or message headers. I need it to access Pop3 and Hotmail and to use the active connection (Wifi or Bluetooth Phone) i.e. not sync with the desktop. I would prefer if this was a standalone client and not a third party client/server solution.
Is there anything remotely close to this out there?

Cybrid
08-17-2005, 10:42 AM
http://www.pocketpcportal.com/Onemail.htm

onemail

With OneMail, getting your Yahoo and Hotmail to your Pocket PC has never been easier!

Easy to Setup, No Email Reader required on the Desktop

OneMail is simple to setup and no Email Reader is required.

As there is no setup of Email client nor involves other complicated process, it is a no-brainer download experience for any users!

Just tap on the 'Sync' button, it retrieves your Yahoo mails and Hotmail directly to the Pocket PC in seconds. No Email Reader, such as Outlook or Eudora, is required. It's quick and easy! Come and experience the great convenience OneMail brings to you at an incredible price of USD10.00 only for the Full Version!! What's more, it's a one time charge with unlimited usage.

Save you Money

With OneMail, it can access your Yahoo and Hotmail in real time without subscribing to any POP Access and Forwarding Services. Yahoo is charging POP Access and Forwarding Services at USD29.99/year. It is a great saving for you !

More than Email Aggregation, Bill, Bank Accounts, Calendars ....

OneMail synchronizes Yahoo and Hotmail painlessly and soon it will cover all other major webmails from Mail.COM, Netscape.COM etc.. Just watch out for our upgrade alert ! The engine does not stop here, it will provide a single view of all your personal Accounts including personal Bills and Banks Accounts, Calendars, Task Lists and a whole lot more in our soon to be released full blown version. Stay tune for updates while you are experiencing the great value that OneMail Full Version offers.

Cybrid
08-17-2005, 10:45 AM
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=9539

HTTPMail Provider is an add-on software for pocket outlook that allows you to download e-mail from MSN or Hotmail accounts (Hotmail access may require a Hotmail Plus subscription). There's no need to run separate software on your desktop to enable e-mail synchronization, the only requirement is that you have an internet connection.
HTTPMail Provider offers enhanced NLS (National Language Support) by using the same internationalization engine as Internet Explorer and other Windows CE core applications. You can send and receive e-mails in most languages, including the ones with non-latin alphabets such as Japanese, Chinese and Russian.

Configuration
To configure your hotmail or msn account:
Open Inbox
Tap Accounts and choose "New Account"
Enter your hotmail or msn e-mail address and tap Next
Wait for the auto configuration to finish and tap Next
Set the user name to your complete e-mail address, enter your password, check the "Save password" option and tap Next
Set the Account type to HTTP and tap Next
Depending on which service you are using enter "hotmail" or "msn" (without the quotes) for both the incoming and outgoing server names, leave the domain field blank and tap the "Options" button
Set the connection to "The Internet" and tap Next
Set the maximum amount to fetch for each message or accept the default settings and tap Next
Set the maximum age for the downloaded messages and tap Next

Andy Whiteford
08-17-2005, 12:00 PM
I've looked at these two however OneMail requires a third party server for operation which I would prefer to avoid.
HttpMail Provider looks a good option but it will require individually checking each account.
As things stand if there are no alternatives then I think my best solution is just to use HttpMail Provider for the Hotmail side of things and manually check the accounts as required.
It would be great to see a program that would offer similar functionality to Pop Peeper though on the WM platform.

Perhaps HD Mail Page or Pocket Email Checker used in conjunction with HttpMail Provider will give me exactly what I am looking for but I would prefer an all in one solution.

Cybrid
08-17-2005, 07:02 PM
from my understanding:
Httpmail plugs into inbox.Inbox can accept more than one account. I also seem to remember inbox can be set to check for mail every 15 min. You can check inbox status to appear on the today page.....So "What the problem is?"

Andy Whiteford
08-17-2005, 07:14 PM
from my understanding:
Httpmail plugs into inbox.Inbox can accept more than one account. I also seem to remember inbox can be set to check for mail every 15 min. You can check inbox status to appear on the today page.....So "What the problem is?"

Yes I know all this but I was looking for a single solution that would sit in the background and alert me to new mails and let me get a preview and also allow me to manually start the check on all accounts. The approach above is close. The problem I now have is HttpMail does not work with newer Hotmail accounts - I signed up for a .co.uk account and MS block Outlook (Pocket outlook) and Outlook Express access to a standard Hotmail account now. I would need to sign up for a Plus account. Looks like I will just wait for Windows Mobile 5 to go gold.