View Full Version : Selling My Beloved Sony Picturebook

xabretooth
08-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Selling my beloved Sony Picturebook PCG-C1S laptop. Specs as follows

PII-266MHz
64MB Ram
4GB HDD
Very small! Smaller than A5 size. Email me for pics.
Built in webcam. Please note that the webcam here is CCD, not your typical run-of-the-mill cmos cam. Picture quality taken by this is not too bad.
Preloaded WinXP Pro
External CD-Rom drive
AC adaptor,
Original slipcase
2 batteries. Please note one of the battery can last only 30 to 45mins while the other can last 2hrs.

Letting go at US$200. Shipping charges waived off to anyone who match this price.

Trades welcome.

Interested, please email to me at [email protected].

Thanks and cheers.

Jason Dunn
08-15-2005, 07:41 AM
:lol: This is what I saw on the home page:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/selling-my-son.png

I was thinking "What the heck? Someone is trying to sell their child?"

:lol:

08-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Just let me know where to send the $$$. Is paypal o.k.?

Sven Johannsen
08-15-2005, 03:19 PM
:lol: This is what I saw on the home page:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/selling-my-son.png

I was thinking "What the heck? Someone is trying to sell their child?"

:lol:
Tried that at a yard sale once. You can't get out of them, what you put into them. :wink:

xabretooth
08-15-2005, 10:16 PM
yea, paypal is fine. I've gotta a couple of offers but I'm letting go to the first one.

xabretooth
08-15-2005, 10:24 PM
You mean some people sell their sons on the pocket pc forum on the internet??

:D

Typhoon
08-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Oh yeaaa...just search the forum. People sell their kids all the time (given the size of PPCT's forum membership...

BTW, how fast does this laptop run? I'm just curious, that's all...

Jason Dunn
08-18-2005, 04:15 PM
BTW, how fast does this laptop run? I'm just curious, that's all...

PII-266MHz

Typhoon
08-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Oh, what I meant was...in your guys' opinion, is it fast? Very fast? Or okay or pretty slow and is not competitive to the desktop version? Because I used to have a P2 - 350 desktop, and that one was pretty darn fast...

Jason Dunn
08-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Oh, what I meant was...in your guys' opinion, is it fast? Very fast? Or okay or pretty slow and is not competitive to the desktop version? Because I used to have a P2 - 350 desktop, and that one was pretty darn fast...

A PII-266 is not fast in the slightest.

08-24-2005, 01:07 AM
This person is a fraud. they took my money, and made up an excuse that paypal wouldn't release the money, and refused to ship the laptop. whatevery you do don't do business with this person.

WARNING!

Jason Dunn
08-24-2005, 01:11 AM
This person is a fraud. they took my money, and made up an excuse that paypal wouldn't release the money, and refused to ship the laptop. whatevery you do don't do business with this person. WARNING!

What? Are you talking about xabretooth? If so, I'll be very unhappy that someone used our forums to rip someone off. :evil:

Have you filed a complaint with PayPal?

R K
08-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Argh!
All the signs of a fraud here too.
Low post count, new member...

It's time to turn over any IP Address info Jason.
It's time to make a few contacts Slyder.

In no particular order...
1. Jason for any cooperation / user info,
2. Paypal
3. Local law enforcement,
4. FBI (in the US)

These guys might be able to help you out...
http://www.trollhunters.com/

Let me know if you guys need additional help.
I'll come up with more research if necessary.

Fishie
08-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Common people seriously.
Running Windows XP on 266MHz on 64mb of ram.

That shouldve lit the alarmbells right there.

Fishie
08-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Scam artist for sure:
http://www.spug.net/forums/showthread.php?p=915033#post915033
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread/7caaa0d4c2c043cf/285d17e2c61d9645?lnk=st&q=266+laptop&rnum=14&hl=en#285d17e2c61d9645
http://www.ureader.de/message/1102488.aspx
http://www.macosx.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-238658.html
http://www.talkaboutmac.com/group/comp.sys.mac.games.marketplace/messages/13751.html

Jason Dunn
08-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Because of the links that Fishie posted, I'm quite convinced this is a scam. The IP this person was posting from is 202.156.2.130. The email address on this person's account (which I've now locked) is the same as they put in the forum post: [email protected].

Best of luck getting your money back - I sure hope PayPal can help!

08-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Yea, I have started a paypal inquirey, but I will not see any money. I trusted the person, unfortunately because they were posting to this forum. it didn't occur to me that fraud would creep its way into our world. Unfortunate for me, and I'm out $200.

:oops: :roll:

R K
08-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Interesting new discovery, PMs sent.

Darius Wey
08-25-2005, 03:11 AM
Yea, I have started a paypal inquirey, but I will not see any money. I trusted the person, unfortunately because they were posting to this forum. it didn't occur to me that fraud would creep its way into our world. Unfortunate for me, and I'm out $200.

:oops: :roll:

Unfortunately, the internet is filled with as many scams as there are legitimate offers, and it pains me to see that there are people out there who lack the morals and involve themselves in such devilish acts. Unless they're in the victim's shoes, they'll never learn.

I do hope PayPal gives you some good news.

Stephen Beesley
08-29-2005, 05:26 AM
Common people seriously.

To be fair to [email protected] I am not sure if that is necessarily true. I have Windows XP Pro running on an old IBM Thinkpad (that is used just for Web access and MS Word) with a 233Mhz processor and 92mb of RAM, and it actually runs far better and faster than the Windows NT 4.0 that was previously installed (okay, I know so what WOULDN'T run better than NT4...) so it is surely a possible configuration.

Fishie
08-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Common people seriously.

To be fair to [email protected] I am not sure if that is necessarily true. I have Windows XP Pro running on an old IBM Thinkpad (that is used just for Web access and MS Word) with a 233Mhz processor and 92mb of RAM, and it actually runs far better and faster than the Windows NT 4.0 that was previously installed (okay, I know so what WOULDN'T run better than NT4...) so it is surely a possible configuration.

Yeah I know about old thinkpads managing it, they do but barely.
I dont know what magic the old IBM thinkpads use but they are faster at lower clockspeeds and lower memory configurations then others.

In theory XP Pro CAN run on the picturebook but ive seen it in Japan on a machine with 266MHz and 128mb RAM and it was a horribly horribly painfull experience.

Typhoon
08-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Common people seriously.

Wow, that's a surprise. I thought the minimum RAM requirements was 256 MB.

Darius Wey
08-30-2005, 05:56 AM

128MB or higher is recommended, though 64MB is supported at a bare minimum, but in the latter case, you're likely to be chuggin'...

Stephen Beesley
08-30-2005, 01:55 PM

128MB or higher is recommended, though 64MB is supported at a bare minimum, but in the latter case, you're likely to be chuggin'...

Yes - I was extremely suprised that the Thinkpad would run XP Pro. It really does not have much else loaded apart from the OS and MS Word and it works pretty well for simple net browsing and Word Processing.

Typhoon
08-30-2005, 08:57 PM
I think a sticky should probably be made about frauds like this one. Maybe it should be labled "Caution: How to notice frauds"...

kaitanium
08-30-2005, 09:12 PM
that punk xabretooth has been afraid to post. and all along i thought wow so many posts on a sony picturebook, but then i actually look at the thread and find this....disappointment galore

i had a old pentium1 233mhz with 256mb edo ram and it was pretty sluggish running xp.

i remember when i was frauded with paypal and ebay. this guy from hk was selling multiple ipaq 3835s and various cameras on ebay, i won an auction but the device never shipped. turns out this guy wansnt really in hk but had opened a bank account over there so the money went there and when it went there and all his auctions were done he closed it and transferred money elsewhere, namely to new york. i forgot the exact details but we had contacted the police and the feds finally caught the guy...sucka thought he could run with thousands in stolen cash.

so xabretooth beware. these things are traceable. it pains me to see punks out there like you. i hope this was all a misunderstanding.

Stephen Beesley
08-30-2005, 11:55 PM
that punk xabretooth has been afraid to post. and all along i thought wow so many posts on a sony picturebook, but then i actually look at the thread and find this....disappointment galore

i had a old pentium1 233mhz with 256mb edo ram and it was pretty sluggish running xp.

Yes I guess this thread did get hijacked a bit - and given my recent ebay experience I should have known better :D

My original point was that I am not sure that the fact that the picture book in question was claimed to be running Win XP was not necessarily a red flag that the post was a fraud.

kiwi
08-31-2005, 05:50 AM
sorry to hear of the rip off :(

Because of the scammers online these days I have tended to deal in person locally.
3 years ago, I was a bit more carefree, but luckily never truely got ripped off. Had to claim PayPal insurance once though and was luckly I got refunded.

The 4gb HDD on the laptop would be pretty useless ;-)

kaitanium
08-31-2005, 07:28 AM
heh what if you get kidnapped dealing in person....=P just kidding

Typhoon
08-31-2005, 01:45 PM
I think PayPal refunds people too...

stevelam
09-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Because of the links that Fishie posted, I'm quite convinced this is a scam. The IP this person was posting from is 202.156.2.130. The email address on this person's account (which I've now locked) is the same as they put in the forum post: [email protected].

Best of luck getting your money back - I sure hope PayPal can help!

I have been doing a little bit of research and the IP is from StarHub a Singapore Cable Network Provider.

StarHub Cable Vision Ltd

address: 2D Ayer Rajah Crescent
address: Singapore 139938
phone: 65-65862903
web address: http://www.starhub.com/

I'm hoping to have more info up shortly.

09-01-2005, 03:21 PM
This person tried to contact me again. I had all of this information on the singapore location, etc. I e-mailed it to her, and threatened to call the local authorities. She promissed to ship, and she sent a tracking number. I can't figure out what service this tracking number is for. does anyone recognize it?

CC00918898XSG

It's not fed ex, or ups. I don't know what else to check. any ideas?

stevelam
09-01-2005, 04:22 PM
It isnt TNT or DHL or Singapore Post and im out of ideas.

Sorry

kaitanium
09-01-2005, 06:23 PM
well i guess youll find out when and if it gets to you. if not well, someones in BIG TROUBLE (namely xabretooth)!!! i try not to buy from anywhere in asia anymore after my mishap.

Typhoon
09-03-2005, 02:49 AM
This person tried to contact me again. I had all of this information on the singapore location, etc. I e-mailed it to her, and threatened to call the local authorities. She promissed to ship, and she sent a tracking number. I can't figure out what service this tracking number is for. does anyone recognize it?

CC00918898XSG

If I were you I would still call the authorities. I believe he/she is just buying time. If you think about it, what could she have possibly sent? A Sony Picturebook she/he never had? I wouldn't be nice at all. He/she put up tons of ads to scam many people. I don't think he/she has 15 Sony Picturebooks to send out to people just in case he/she gets threatened by the buyers.

kaitanium
09-03-2005, 05:53 AM
yea im still sensing its a scam cuz they arent replying here anymore and are clearly scared

Typhoon
09-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Hmmm...maybe they really aren't that scared? I've heard that people use other peoples' internet connection for scams through wireless snooping. ...so it just might be difficult to catch him/her. But I am not trying to discourage further investigation. I incourage it to stop him or her as early as you can. OOhhh yea... Didn't we just have a discussion about wireless snooping? ;)

Mitch D
09-10-2005, 05:46 PM

CC00918898XSG

I just checked Purolator and it doesn't show with them either...

09-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Well after many threats and quite a bit of misunderstanding, a package arrived the other day. it had a Sony Vio in it. no osftware (japanese version) windows xp pro installed with 64 megs of ram. It has a pcmcia cd rom, but not the sony (so it's not recognized in the bios), the power supply (thank god) and only one of the batteries. I am releived that I recieved it. I apologize to all, calling this person a crook. I have learned my lesson, and will never do this sort of thing again. on a side note, can anyone help me with drivers? cause if not it's a $200 brick.

Oh man, Why do I suffer so? Is god still pissed about that stripper in Miami?

Typhoon
09-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Well after many threats and quite a bit of misunderstanding, a package arrived the other day. it had a Sony Vio in it. no osftware (japanese version) windows xp pro installed with 64 megs of ram. It has a pcmcia cd rom, but not the sony (so it's not recognized in the bios), the power supply (thank god) and only one of the batteries. I am releived that I recieved it. I apologize to all, calling this person a crook. I have learned my lesson, and will never do this sort of thing again. on a side note, can anyone help me with drivers? cause if not it's a $200 brick.

Oh man, Why do I suffer so? Is god still pissed about that stripper in Miami?

You seem like a very nice person. I'm not saying that I don't trust people easily, but I know that I am not easily fooled. Did he give you exactly what you paid for? What instantly came to my was that maybe he just picked somewhere else to relieve your fears...

09-17-2005, 10:43 PM
Well, it was supposed to come with a second battery, and software, so no. he didn't give me what I was supposed to get. I will chalk it up to a lesson learned, and let it go. If anyone knows where I can get drivers for this one (pcg-c1s) let me know. I can't read Japanese, and this is a foreighn model.

Mitch D
09-18-2005, 02:22 AM
Well, it was supposed to come with a second battery, and software, so no. he didn't give me what I was supposed to get. I will chalk it up to a lesson learned, and let it go. If anyone knows where I can get drivers for this one (pcg-c1s) let me know. I can't read Japanese, and this is a foreighn model.

I could not find your exact model listed but try:

http://esupport.sony.com