View Full Version : Dead hard drive - Please help

Hrun
08-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew if the following was possible and if so where could I go/how much

2 days ago the better halfs laptop died of a dead hard drive and yup, she had not backed up for ages.

Is it possible to get the files lost on it pulled of by any means?

I truly hope someone can come up with a possible solution as it will stop her nagging that I should have spotted the impending doom

TIA

Giles

Sven Johannsen
08-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Getting a commercial recovery outfit to help is big pounds (that isn't as aliterative as big bucks, but oh, well)

A lot of times what happens is the applications/OS stuff gets hosed and you can't boot into the drive. You could try getting a replacement hard drive and get the machine up with it. Get an external case for the old hard drive (USB) and hook it up as a second drive. You may need to go into disk manager to import/activate the volume. There is a chance you can get to files that way, even if you can't boot from that drive.

Over here external drive kits are around $25-$40. Might be worth a try. Once outside as a second drive, you can try some of the recovery options more easily as well. I assume you are going to get a new drive for the laptop anyway.