View Full Version : Free game download! Transport Tycoon Deluxe

chefz
08-12-2005, 09:17 PM
I just received an email newsletter about a new version of TowerMogul (yay, a great game!), and saw this blurb for a free download of Transport Tycoon Deluxe (http://www.esoftinteractive.com/openttd.html)(for both Palms and Pocket PCs)! It looks neat, as soon as I get a chance I'll test it out on my Ipaq. :D Here's what the blurb says:

"Play the greatest of Tycoon games in the Palm of your hand! Build trains, planes, ships and automobiles, and send them off to do errands and make you rich. Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe is brought to you by eSoft Interactive, in partnership with Spookysoft and is offered as a FREE download for everyone!" [/url]

applejosh
08-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Just for nit-picky clarity's sake, there are downloads for PPC and the Zodiac (which does run PalmOS, but I'm guessing this version is specifically made to work with the hardware of the Zod - haven't personally tried it out on my T5 or Clie).

chefz
08-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Okay, I stand corrected :lol: (I know nothing about anything Palm!)

applejosh
08-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Not really corrected, just a more refined answer. :)

The Zodiac is a now discontinued (in just about every sense of the word including support and warranty) PalmOS based device that was made for "gamers and I think had special hardware as a result.

G M Fude
08-13-2005, 03:55 AM
Be aware that to play the free version on your PPC, you will need a bunch of graphics files from the original version of the game (preferably the Windows version).

chefz
08-13-2005, 04:12 AM
Oh! Didn't realize that, of course it was too good to be true then! I just saw the words "free game" and was instantly interested. :D :roll: Thanks for the heads-up!

G M Fude
08-13-2005, 08:26 AM
Well, it's only a few graphics files, they are useless without the game engine so backups are available for download, in fact even the Transport Tycoon forums have them in case players have screwed the originals by doing mods. Scroll down to "TTD original graphics" in this thread (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=3407) and you'll find them as a RAR archive.

Then,
1 Unzip ppcttd.zip downloaded from www.esoftinteractive.com/openttd.html (this is the link Chefz posted)
2 The following files are needed from the original (DOS or preferably Windows) Transport Tycoon Deluxe game in order to play:
trg1r.grf
trgcr.grf
trghr.grf
trgir.grf
trgtr.grf
sample.cat (these are from the link I posted above)
Place the above files in the "data" folder inside the PPCTTD directory that can be found where you unzipped PPC TTD to.
Place gm_ttXX.gm files ("XX" is 00 to 21) in the "gm" folder. The GRF files are for graphics, sample.cat for sounds. GM files are for MIDI music. These files are required.
3 Copy the PPC TTD folder to your PocketPC or storage card.
4 Use your PocketPC's file manager (such as "File Explorer")
and run OpenTTD.exe in the PPCTTD directory you copied.

I don't know where the gm_ttXX.gm files are but it seems to work okay without them and looks great on a VGA screen, for the brief play I had. Remember, the game engine for PPC is open source and if you like it, support the developers (they even like being told about bugs!). Enjoy.

EDIT: Should have said, I think you can also download the full version of the Windows game from the link I posted in the first paragraph. I gather because TTD is pretty old now, it's gone open source in DOS and Windows as well as PPC. Also, the cute blonde in the avatar in the link I posted is NOT the person posting in the TT forum!

veethree
08-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Well, it looks like this is a popular download because I get a message stating that their bandwidth limit has been exceeded when I try to download the file myself. Does anyone know of another site hosting the file? I remember playing this game on my PC way back when and would love to see how it looks on the PPC.

veethree
08-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Ah, I see that someone has put a CAB file up. It also contains the graphic files referred to in posts above, so there's no need to download anything else.

I got it from here: http://www.cabfiles.net/view.php?id=48.

dylan727
08-21-2005, 03:09 AM
Does anyone know where I can download the current verizon the Cab file won't install for me and the site says bandwith exceded?