View Full Version : Ipaq 6515 Experience (so far)

Mr. PPC
08-12-2005, 06:17 PM
I have been playing with my new 6515 today. Thought I would pass along some observations, simple ones at this point. I am happy to answer any questions you may have (if possible) as well.

Here we go:

The square screen isn't as bad as a lot of people seem to make it, unless you just have to dispay everything on one screen. I have PB/CB running with the height set at 160. I run using 'colapse all', with today expanded. No problems seeing my schedule or anything.

The keyboard is actually quite easy to get used to. Just enough spacing between keys so I don't feel cramped (personal observation). I also like the bright blue background light as well.

The screen is really bright, no colour distortion etc.

The automatic GSM/GPRS setup is very nice, auto senses your carrier and sets the connection settings automaticaly (can be done manually as well).

The HP Profile system is great, replaced my copy of Pocket Zen Phone. I don't use the automatic meeting features of PZP, if you do then you will want to continue using PZP. To access the profiles you hold the 'power' button and a menu pops up (like Smartphone).

I found the output volume to be good, for both general usage and phone. I can hear it ringing (and vibrating) without any problems in public, when in public I max the phone sounds though (everyone I know does this as well).

It runs the Pylon iAnywhere (real-time push) solution without any hitches. This is an Enterprise solution, not an individual one.

It appears to pickup GSM signals better and faster than my O2 Xphone II/IIm, Imate SP3, XDA II Mini, Jam, XDA IIs, PDA2K and XDA II. Yes, I actualy used all of them to check this out.

I haven't played with the GPS system yet, looking forward to. The unit comes with a free two month subscription to the new Sensis Navigator system (I am in Australia), I will get that up and working tonight. A friend is testing it with TomTom now, I'll check with him next week on how it works. From the documentation, elseware it comes with TomTom (free download of one map I believe) in the box.

I haven't loaded PocketPlus v3.0 yet, will see how it goes. I have heard good and bad reports, will see for myself.

I am also going to load Microsoft Voice Command tonight. I don't forsee any problems with this.

For those wanting to know about the Bluetooth system. It uses Broadcom v1.7.0.2100.

Supports the following:

•AV (Audio Video/Stereo Headphone profile)
•BPP (Basic Printer profile)
•DUN (Dial-up Networking profile)
•FAX
•FTP (File Transfer profile)
•GAP (Generic Access profile)
•HCRP (Hard Cable Replacement profile)
•HSP (Headset profile) -- (listed as Hands-free/Headset Setup in Bluetooth menu)
•LAP (LAN Access profile)
•OBEX (Object Exchange profile)
•OPP (Object Push profile)
•PAN (Personal Area Network profile)
•SPP (Serial Port profile)
•ActiveSync (Uses SPP to connect to ActiveSync on a computer)

Off to play with the GPS solution.

Dave

Mr. PPC
08-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Thought I would list what accessories the HP paperwork shows, in case someone wanted to know.

Desktop cradle
Standard battery with charger
Extended battery with charger
AC adapter
Auto adapter
USB/Serial sync cable
Stylus kit

Silver5
08-14-2005, 02:06 AM
How's the battery life for you? I'm asking this question everywhere to get a full picture. Most reviewers aren't really very thorough.

Mr. PPC
08-14-2005, 07:44 AM
Yesterday, my wife and I went up the coast an hour and used the GPS system to get there. My battery was just below half when we got there.

You have to remember that the screen was on and running the entire time using the GPS system and bluetooth was running as well (car kit). Obviously, if you are going to use the GPS for an extended time you will need a car charger.

As for normal useage, I haven't really tested it. I got the unit Friday afternoon and today is Sunday. I'll keep records of my useage starting tomorrow (back to work) and post what I learn up here.

Steven McPherson
08-14-2005, 07:40 PM
While I'm pretty good about charging my devices daily. I recently went on a trip (away from charging capacity) for two days. Over that two days, I used the phone for about 100 mins of talking time. Syncrhonization when new mail arrives (I get about 125 new emails a day) and I even used it with MTR to watch the Cubs vs. Cardinals over EDGE (30 mins prior to my flight home). It was slow and jerky, but it worked.

When I go home, I was down to about 23% power, so I was actually relatively impressed.

Now that said, the most battery intensive task that I've seen this thing perform is ANY GPS operation. I used the GPS with Ostia on a 60 minute drive and found that once I arrived (93% power when I left home) I was down to about 52%. So if you have heavy GPS usage, buy a car-kit.

alexm
08-15-2005, 07:25 PM
For those wanting to know about the Bluetooth system. It uses Broadcom v1.7.0.2100.

Supports the following:

•AV (Audio Video/Stereo Headphone profile)
•BPP (Basic Printer profile)
•DUN (Dial-up Networking profile)
•FAX
•FTP (File Transfer profile)
•GAP (Generic Access profile)
•HCRP (Hard Cable Replacement profile)
•HSP (Headset profile) -- (listed as Hands-free/Headset Setup in Bluetooth menu)
•LAP (LAN Access profile)
•OBEX (Object Exchange profile)
•OPP (Object Push profile)
•PAN (Personal Area Network profile)
•SPP (Serial Port profile)
•ActiveSync (Uses SPP to connect to ActiveSync on a computer)

Dave,
is there any chance you can test it with bmw bluetooth handsfree system (the one that's built-in)? (if you don't own or lease one may be you can stop by a bmw dealership and test it there. I'd really appreciate it and I'm sure many other bmw owners). I'm really interested in this ppcpe and since I drive a lot this compatibility is a big concern for me.
Thank you!
Alex

JohnJohn
08-16-2005, 02:14 AM
Where can I pick up one of these? I went to the Cingular store today, they told me next month.

Kadegboye
08-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Hi,
I would like to know how fast the processor works when compared with the XDA family of ppcps. If figures were to be believed, the speed of this machine is supposedly slower than that of XDA II, IIs & i-mate PDA 2K.
Can you please clarify this with your observation?
Kay.

dolphs
08-23-2005, 04:11 AM
Where can I pick up one of these? I went to the Cingular store today, they told me next month.

After my experience with the 6315 (posted in this forum), I'd wait and see on this one. I would expect there are improvements but with HP you never know.

ThaSaint
09-07-2005, 05:19 PM
IMH the battery is not good enough, and the camera quality is poor.

Other than that it is a really great device, shame it doesnt have 3G though, GPRS isnt the fastest of technologies!