View Full Version : hx4705 WiFi or Bluetooth not starting

OSUKid7
08-12-2005, 05:20 PM
My latest problem with my 4705 is it doesn't always let me start Bluetooth and WiFi after a reset. When I go into the HP wireless utility, if WiFi isn't on, I click it, and it rotates the "hourglass" for 15 seconds or so, then returns to the screen with WiFi still off. On the other hand, sometimes Bluetooth doesn' isn't on, and WiFi is. When I try to turn Bluetooth on there, it gives an error about not enough memory.

Granted I haven't done much troubleshooting, and usually another soft reset or two fixes the problem, but has anyone else had this problem or know what may be causing it?

I'm not too likely to do a hard reset, since I just upgraded to the latest ROM a few weeks ago, and the WM5.0 upgrade will be here in a few months.

Thanks for those who can help. :)

Sven Johannsen
08-12-2005, 05:53 PM
You don't note any error messages. None displayed? It is fairly common to run out of some sort of memory space that these things need, even if you have tons of memory (I have 128M). Some, or many, resident programs seem to aggravate the issue. Normally you get some sort of 'can't load dll' message though.

I had the issue almost every time if I had both Voice Command and Calligrapher set to run at startup. Sometimes Calligrapher wouldn't even start. You might look and see what sorts of things you have in your startup folder. Remember that everythng that does something periodically, like checking weather, or mail, must run some sort of process continually to initiate the action when it is time.

ctmagnus
08-13-2005, 12:35 AM
This may sound kind of basic, but have you tried removing/reinserting the battery? Granted, if it's a software-only issue, this won't help much.

OSUKid7
08-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Well, it seems my initial thought was correct - uninstalling CalliGrapher 8.0 Beta RC0 fixed the problem. Guess I'll do some testing and send in a bug report if needed. Can't believe I didn't trust my instincts and try uninstalling this when the problem first started.

Thanks for your advice, Sven and ctmagnus. :)

OSUKid7
08-13-2005, 01:35 AM
Well I'll be...
Check out the first FAQ regarding the CalliGrapher 8.0 beta:
When I select Write Pad and/or Write Anywhere SIP, standard keyboard or other SIP is selected instead...
and/or
A today screen extension application won't work when CalliGrapher SIP is active...
and/or
I can't enable BT or WiFi driver when CalliGrapher SIP is active...
What can I do to fix it?

Pocket PC system resources are limited. Due to the faulty design of Windows Mobile OS, all system extensions (Today screen add-ons, Phone software, BT and WiFi drivers, etc.) are loaded into the same system process which has fixed memory limit. This memory limit is hard-coded by Microsoft in the OS kernel and is not affected by the amount of physical memory that you have on your device. If you have any third-party today screen add-ons, that is most likely the reason for this problem. Disabling third-party system-level applications will most likely address this issue. Click here for more information.
Note: it seems that Microsoft has addressed this issue in the latest version of Windows Mobile 5.0.

So...blame Microsoft I guess. ;) Looks like I'll be living without testing CalliGrapher for now. :|

(Oh, and just my luck, I thought to visit the FAQs after I went to the trouble of reinstalling CalliGrapher, testing it, and writing the bug report - but before I submitted it. :frusty:)

Darius Wey
08-13-2005, 04:35 AM
So...blame Microsoft I guess. ;) Looks like I'll be living without testing CalliGrapher for now. :|

(Oh, and just my luck, I thought to visit the FAQs after I went to the trouble of reinstalling CalliGrapher, testing it, and writing the bug report - but before I submitted it. :frusty:)

This is the exact same reason why a lot of third-party SIPs refuse to load when you have a plethora of Today plugins activated and startup processes present. We had a bit of a discussion on this in the TenGo thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=354044#354044) as well.

For me, Windows Mobile 5.0 seems more of a must-upgrade, than a W?BIC!-upgrade.

OSUKid7
08-13-2005, 04:42 AM
Yeah, this is the first big issue that makes upgrading to WM5 a must.

Tye
08-22-2005, 06:50 AM
This is the exact same reason why a lot of third-party SIPs refuse to load when you have a plethora of Today plugins activated and startup processes present. We had a bit of a discussion on this in the TenGo thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=354044#354044) as well.

For me, Windows Mobile 5.0 seems more of a must-upgrade, than a W?BIC!-upgrade.

Let's all cross our fingers, bow our heads, and do whatever else we can. I've stopped getting my hopes up about WM2005. What good are new features when the old ones don't even work?:
http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2005/08/01/446240.aspx#448307