View Full Version : Palm, Inc. Finds Windows Mobile Attractive For Business

Ed Hansberry
08-12-2005, 01:00 AM
<a href="http://news.com.com/PalmOne+grabs+Microsoft+Exchange+license/2100-1047_3-5829076.html">http://news.com.com/PalmOne+grabs+Microsoft+Exchange+license/2100-1047_3-5829076.html</a><br /><br /><i>"In an interview, Palm Chief Financial Officer Andrew Brown said that building a Treo that runs on the mobile version of Windows might help the company woo corporate customers who have been reticent to buy its Palm OS-based gadgets. "CIOs don't get fired for using Microsoft products," Brown said, though he did not say whether Palm has such a product in the works."</i><br /><br />We need a forum just for the Treo/Windows Mobile rumors I think. :wink: Regardless of what Palm is actually doing right now with shipping devices, they seem more committed than ever to being a device manufacturer and being platform agnostic. Mr. Brown continues: <i>"Despite that shared heritage with PalmSource, Brown described Palm as neutral to the operating system its devices use--and the types of e-mail servers to which they connect."</i> What do you think? Is the Windows Mobile powered Treo a sure thing? I am absolutely convinced recent pictures and videos are authentic, but a prototype and a shipping device are two different things.

surur
08-12-2005, 01:14 AM
We need a forum just for the Treo/Windows Mobile rumors I think. :wink:

I thought we had already.

http://surur.sytes.net/forum.jpg

Surur

lapchinj
08-12-2005, 04:11 AM
...they seem more committed than ever to being a device manufacturer and being platform agnostic...
I think that would be just plain COOL 8) . I don't know if they would just sell hardware though. To kick the OS habbit would be very tough to do. Maybe they would mix it up a little. Do some Palm OS and do some other OS while selling hardware. This way palm people can have their cake and we can get stuff like the Treo.

Jeff-

mr_Ray
08-12-2005, 09:19 AM
You appear to have forgotten the "it's all a fake, a FAKE I tell you! Oh man they're out to get us with those fakes. WHERE'S MY TINFOIL HAT????" poll option.

From what I've seen and read, I'd probably put the chance of this hitting the shelves within the next 12 months at about 90%.

mangochutneyman
08-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Here is what the Cobalt ver of the next gen Treo will look like:

http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/4108.jpg

surur
08-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Pretty nice looker. I hope they put WM5 on it soon, so it can become functional also.

Surur

marcol
08-12-2005, 12:46 PM

Where'd you get the info that this will be Cobalt? It's not in cooltechtimes piece that's the source of the image.

marcol
08-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Pretty nice looker. I hope they put WM5 on it soon, so it can become functional also.

Yes, but not with a 240x240 screen!

Ed Hansberry
08-12-2005, 01:19 PM

http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/4108.jpg

Alex, Why does that look more like an artists rendering than an actual photo of a device?

marcol
08-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Alex, Why does that look more like an artists rendering than an actual photo of a device?

Looks like a pretty good drawing (to my untrained eye) and I guess the professsional way it's done means that it's unlikely to be a fake. If that's the case, one has to wonder if it's a promo drawing and this device might appear in the not too distant future.

Ed Hansberry
08-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Looks like a pretty good drawing (to my untrained eye) and I guess the professsional way it's done means that it's unlikely to be a fake.
Oh, ok. Good professional looking and it is unlikely to be a fake. Ok. :? :wink:

marcol
08-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Looks like a pretty good drawing (to my untrained eye) and I guess the professsional way it's done means that it's unlikely to be a fake.
Oh, ok. Good professional looking and it is unlikely to be a fake. Ok. :? :wink:

Hey I'm not saying it definitely isn't a fake but I've been looking at pics of supposedly-genuine Treos for a while now and I haven't seen anything that well done that turned out to be a fake. Yes I know there's a long history of successful art forgery but, well, there's a lot more money in forging a Picasso than a picture of a Treo! Obviously it's technically possible to fake that picture, but, presuming it took a reasonable amount of effort (as opposed the quick Photoshop hacks we usually see), why bother?

gohtor
08-12-2005, 07:53 PM
it would be great to see one. If they offer consistent rom upgrades, I'm definately in. But it's not common to see palm os updates on a palm device.

marcol
08-12-2005, 08:43 PM
it would be great to see one. If they offer consistent rom upgrades, I'm definately in. But it's not common to see palm os updates on a palm device.

The last two POS devices I've had, Treos 600 and 650, both had updates. Mind you, the 650 really needed it: the original implimentation of the non-volatile memory system was pretty pathetic (every record - Calendar entry, contact, etc - took 512 bytes. Not good with only 23 MB available!).

Ed Hansberry
08-13-2005, 12:24 AM

The last two POS devices I've had, Treos 600 and 650, both had updates. Mind you, the 650 really needed it: the original implimentation of the non-volatile memory system was pretty pathetic (every record - Calendar entry, contact, etc - took 512 bytes. Not good with only 23 MB available!).
Patches, fixes and the like, yes. I think Gohtor was referring to full ROM updates that upgraded you to the next operating system version. Palm OS users regularly got that in the early days. Now, I don't know that they ever do. :?: