View Full Version : XP SP1 wanting to load onto alternate drive

ironguy
08-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Hey all,
I'm reloading XP Pro onto a friends machine. It has 3 partitions, c, d, g with d and g having 7GB each and C at about 100GB. I've reloaded XP Pro and am trying to load XPSP1. However, it keeps saying there isn't enough room on the G drive to load. G is where the volume info for all the drives is kept.

Anyone know how to get SP1 to keep its files somewhere else?

stevelam
08-11-2005, 11:46 AM
As far as I am aware it, by default puts it in the same drive as XP. You also might want to try Windows Update to get SP2 instead.

Janak Parekh
08-11-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm reloading XP Pro onto a friends machine. It has 3 partitions, c, d, g with d and g having 7GB each and C at about 100GB. I've reloaded XP Pro and am trying to load XPSP1. However, it keeps saying there isn't enough room on the G drive to load. G is where the volume info for all the drives is kept.
You can manually extract the contents of the XPSP1.EXE file by using the /X switch. It'll then ask you where to unpack the files, and will dutifully put it there, assuming there's enough space. You can then run the setup program (I think it's in the UPDATE folder or something) from that extracted location.

--janak

p.s. Why are you installing SP1 instead of SP2?

ironguy
08-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Does SP2 contain SP1? I have both on disk. If I don't need to use SP1 that would save a bunch of time.

Janak Parekh
08-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Does SP2 contain SP1? I have both on disk. If I don't need to use SP1 that would save a bunch of time.
All Windows service packs (unlike Office service packs) are cumulative. SP2 is all you need.

In fact, Paul Thurrott has fantastic instructions (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp) on how to combine the XP CD and SP2 into a fresh "XP SP2" install CD. Probably not useful for your current project, but you may find it handy.

--janak