View Full Version : WM5 on sale in ebay

ctitanic
08-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Fist of all, I'm not relative to this seller in anyway possible.

I just posting this to share thoughts about it (Pocket PC Thoughts ;))

http://cgi.ebay.com/Windows-Mobile-5-0-2005-for-O2-Xda2-Xda-II-Latest-OS_W0QQitemZ6422196282QQcategoryZ32242QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't think it's a scam but I doubt that you will get the real thing at most you will get the beta copy that was around the web.

Now my question is... how many of you guys is so crazy to buy something like this?

And my second question, how is that that ebay permit to sale something like that?

ctitanic
08-10-2005, 01:52 PM
and he is asking 200 dollars for it!!!!!!!!!

Sven Johannsen
08-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Upgrading to windows mobile 5.0 may terminate warranty of your device (but who cares) For more information check with your service provider.

I don't think it's necessary to check with your service provider to determine if loading an illegal/unauthorized copy of an OS on your PPC would void the warranty... duh.

yankeejeep
08-10-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm sure there are some folks who will figure that it is 'good enough' even though I don't see how it could possibly be a true release version (unless someone in the company has pirated the pending release). The fact that it will not be supported by a manufacturer is going to either be missed by users who aren't clear on the fact that MS doesn't offer direct support or be a non-issue for those who have passed out of warranty and have an overwhelming need to be first to load the OS. I think anyone is nuts to pay $200 for something that can only be beta versions compiled and burned onto CD by an individual who is not going to support users after they buy the software. Definitely caveat emptor on this one since there has been, AFAIK, no release yet that the maker presents as being WM5 compatible with any of their devices.

My guess would be that eBay's contention about allowing it to be offered is that they must rely on the offerer's statement that he/she is legal owner of the item. I don't think they are required to see how this squares with any number of copyright laws when it comes to specific software. Does anyone think that a single royalty is being paid on any of this stuff?

surur
08-10-2005, 03:04 PM
XDA II's are all long out of warranty. They have been abandoned with wm2003, despite being able to run WM5. This guy is trying to make money of something which is available for free at XDA-developers.com, but if it raises awareness that we are "Operating system prisoners" I think its only a good thing.

Surur

Jason Dunn
08-10-2005, 04:44 PM
I don't think it's a scam but I doubt that you will get the real thing at most you will get the beta copy that was around the web.

It's a scam insofar as he's selling something that's no more legal than a warez version of Office 2003. I'm shocked that he's told two copies previous to this and was never shut down. I've notified a contact at Microsoft and this auction, and the eBay account of the guy selling it, will likely vanish in a few days.

Hrun
08-10-2005, 08:24 PM
It's a scam insofar as he's selling something that's no more legal than a warez version of Office 2003. I'm shocked that he's told two copies previous to this and was never shut down. I've notified a contact at Microsoft and this auction, and the eBay account of the guy selling it, will likely vanish in a few days.

This is the key to fraud at ebay, if the users don't report it to both eBay and if they know the details, the legal owner then fraud will flourish.

eg. people will only steal car stereos as long as there is a market for them in the pub and most people prepared to buy a stereo in the pub would consider themselves law abiding.

Just my tuppence

Giles

Ripper014
08-11-2005, 07:50 AM
Actually its more than $200... its 200 British Pounds...

stevelam
08-11-2005, 09:05 AM
its 200 British Pounds...

Which is of course the only proper type of money
:lol: