View Full Version : buttons in win media

kaitanium
08-09-2005, 05:06 PM
someone help me out here. is there any way to assign functions to the buttons in windows media other than the ones on the dpad? i remember being able to do it on my ipaq but cant seem to be able to do it on my x50v thanks

Darius Wey
08-09-2005, 05:42 PM
No, there isn't. It's possibly one of the most annoying features of Windows Media Player 10 Mobile - and one that plagues not only the X50/X50v.

kaitanium
08-09-2005, 06:34 PM
so 9 had it? man i hope the next release of winmobile has a fix.

Darius Wey
08-09-2005, 06:57 PM
so 9 had it?

Yes.

man i hope the next release of winmobile has a fix.

As far as I can tell, Windows Mobile 5.0's version of Windows Media Player 10 Mobile (v10.1) does not solve this problem. However, I've only put this to the test in an emulator. We'll have to wait for devices to be released before we start making assumptions.

Sven Johannsen
08-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Aggravatingly, the button re-assignment in WMP10 on th Smartphone works fine. You can assign the unassigned features and re-assign the assigned ones. I keep looking for the # and * on my PPC so I can at least use the pre-assigned ones.

stevelam
08-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Darn i'll have to go and apologise to my mate with WMP 10 (X50v) I said to him stop being an idiot it is right there in the buttons page of the options!!

Darius Wey
08-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Darn i'll have to go and apologise to my mate with WMP 10 (X50v) I said to him stop being an idiot it is right there in the buttons page of the options!!

Well, in essence, you weren't entirely inaccurate. You can still assign buttons, but you're only limited to the D-pad.

Sven Johannsen
08-10-2005, 03:24 PM

Well, in essence, you weren't entirely inaccurate. You can still assign buttons, but you're only limited to the D-pad.

It's mostly frustrating because the button re-assign feature is there, and some things work as expected and some don't. It takes a minute to figure out that only the D-pad is assignable, and the other buttons just do what they are assigned in the OS when you try to set them.

WMP 9 also had the option of what you wanted to have happen if MP was in the background, keep the button MP mapping or revert to standard. That worked fine IMHO. As it is, it makes the PPC with MP10 less than functional as a MP, since it requires you to have the screen on for the most basic functions.

What do you guys think of a remote control for the MP so you could keep the PPC in your pocket with the screen off and still control volume, play/pause, skip, etc. Could be on a cable connected to the sync port, or a BT one. BT would be cool, but probably more expensive than it is worth. Part of that already exists with HPs headphones. you get play/pause, forward and back. (The volume control is cheating cuase it doesn't control the volume on the PPC, it controls the amp in the headset.)

Darius Wey
08-10-2005, 04:47 PM
It's mostly frustrating because the button re-assign feature is there, and some things work as expected and some don't. It takes a minute to figure out that only the D-pad is assignable, and the other buttons just do what they are assigned in the OS when you try to set them. WMP 9 also had the option of what you wanted to have happen if MP was in the background, keep the button MP mapping or revert to standard. That worked fine IMHO. As it is, it makes the PPC with MP10 less than functional as a MP, since it requires you to have the screen on for the most basic functions.

Yeah. As much as a step forwards WMP10 was, it was a step backwards as well. And as far as I can tell, from a macroscopic level, v10.1 includes ratings support and makes no changes to the bugs/annoyances that currently plague v10.0. :(

What do you guys think of a remote control for the MP so you could keep the PPC in your pocket with the screen off and still control volume, play/pause, skip, etc. Could be on a cable connected to the sync port, or a BT one. BT would be cool, but probably more expensive than it is worth. Part of that already exists with HPs headphones. you get play/pause, forward and back. (The volume control is cheating cuase it doesn't control the volume on the PPC, it controls the amp in the headset.)

I think it's a great idea. I used to use a portable MD player and I was accustomed to its remote. Ever since I started using a Pocket PC for music, things started going downhill with regards to controlling media playback. Sure, album art, DRM support, etc. - it's all great, but for the average Joe who simply wants to access his tunes fast and easy, there are better options out there. As far as innovation is concerned, I'd like to see the Pocket PC get a revamp in both software and hardware, to make media playback enjoyable and fuss-free for all users. But it all seems to be wishful thinking as far as the next year is concerned. :|

Don't Panic!
08-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Casio had one way back when for the EM500. I think they would be good selling items if someone made the available for current PPCs.

Darius Wey
08-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Casio had one way back when for the EM500. I think they would be good selling items if someone made the available for current PPCs.

The POZ-B300 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41190) also has something similar. It would be nice if more manufacturers included something along the lines of this.