View Full Version : Microsoft or 3rd Party?

PPC BLD
08-09-2005, 02:28 AM
I ran a search but I'd like some opinions. I just got my x50v and I'm wondering whether I should use Microsoft apps or 3rd party software for the most fundamental of uses. I have MSN messenger, Outlook calendar, Word, MS Money, Pocket Streets 2005, and Media Player.

Now I know that TCPMP is better than MS media player, but what about the rest? What are the best applications (free or not) for accomplishing email, scheduling, word processing, financial organization, and map usage?

ADBrown
08-09-2005, 02:46 AM
The default scheduling app is fine, unless you have more advanced needs. A lot of people swear by Pocket Informant. I've used it in the past, but I found that it was just more than I really needed at the moment.

Pocket Word has serious inadequacies. The upgrade to Windows Mobile 5 will cure some of these, but alltogether Textmaker, by Softmaker, is a far superior app.

I haven't used MS Money enough to really have an opinion on it.

Pocket Streets is anemic. For navigation, I recommend Mapopolis or TomTom Navigator. You get better maps, more independence from the PC, and more features.

SoftMaker
08-09-2005, 08:28 AM
The default scheduling app is fine, unless you have more advanced needs. A lot of people swear by Pocket Informant. I've used it in the past, but I found that it was just more than I really needed at the moment.

Pocket Word has serious inadequacies. The upgrade to Windows Mobile 5 will cure some of these, but alltogether Textmaker, by Softmaker, is a far superior app.

I haven't used MS Money enough to really have an opinion on it.

Pocket Streets is anemic. For navigation, I recommend Mapopolis or TomTom Navigator. You get better maps, more independence from the PC, and more features.
Pocket Word and Pocket Excel are anemic, and Word Mobile and Excel Mobile will stay anemic. Everyone who has looked at the new versions of the apps was hardpressed to find /any/ changes... :wink:

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

coolabah
08-09-2005, 09:47 AM

With all due respects, The default scheduling app is just too weak for my needs and I suspect I am not alone. PI or AF are "must haves" as far as I am concerned. But of course, everyone is different :)
(and as the French say, "Vive la Difference". Can't argue with that !!!!) :D

stevelam
08-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Pocket Word and Pocket Excel are anemic, and Word Mobile and Excel Mobile will stay anemic. Everyone who has looked at the new versions of the apps was hardpressed to find /any/ changes... :wink:

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

I almost think that someone is worried about the quality of the products. This review (http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/wm2005-magneto-en.shtml) seems to think that they are a vast improvement 8)

SoftMaker
08-09-2005, 11:04 AM

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

I almost think that someone is worried about the quality of the products. This review (http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/wm2005-magneto-en.shtml) seems to think that they are a vast improvement 8)
Not really. I /was/ worried when Microsoft told me about the big improvements they had in the making, but I am more than relieved after seeing what they actually delivered. If you think that 2D charts are good enough in Excel Mobile (and all 3D charts silently converted to 2D) and that you only want to edit tables in Word Mobile, but not create them, then, yes, Microsoft Office Mobile is good enough for you. But, really, both apps are not much different from Pocket Word and Pocket Excel.

Don't take just my word for it. If you have access to German computing magazines, "c't" has a review about Windows Mobile 5 in their latest issue. Generally, they like it, but they were very disappointed with Office Mobile.

Even better: Go to microsoft.com, download their Windows Mobile 5 emulator and try the applications yourself.

I kind of like how Microsoft is spending quite a bit of money and effort to catch up with TextMaker and PlanMaker and doesn't gain on us. Au contraire, TextMaker 2005 and PlanMaker 2005 will again provide significant additions like Track Changes, AutoShapes support, balloon comments, Unicode support etc.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

stevelam
08-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Hmmmm I see what you mean. One more question though if I buy Textmaker + Planmaker now will I get an upgrade to the 2005 versions when they are released? Also will the 2005 versions be compatible with 5.0?

SoftMaker
08-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Hmmmm I see what you mean. One more question though if I buy Textmaker + Planmaker now will I get an upgrade to the 2005 versions when they are released? Also will the 2005 versions be compatible with 5.0?
We are just preparing the web pages for the TextMaker 2005 beta (first out for Windows), so I might just as well spill the beans here...

In the time when TextMaker 2005 is announced but not shipping, we reduce the price of TextMaker 2002 by $10/EUR 10. As soon as TextMaker 2005 is available, all customers who purchased TextMaker 2002 on or after July 1, 2005 can upgrade to TextMaker 2005 for these same $10/10 Euro.

PlanMaker 2005 is not in beta yet but we expect to have a similar deal (probably with a different cut-off date) when it becomes current.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

SoftMaker
08-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Additionally, yes, TextMaker 2005 and PlanMaker 2005 will of course be compatible with Windows Mobile 5.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

yankeejeep
08-09-2005, 12:09 PM
To ask the question we are all thinking: will there be an upgrade price for those of us who have been using (and loving) TM and PM?

SoftMaker
08-09-2005, 12:15 PM
To ask the question we are all thinking: will there be an upgrade price for those of us who have been using (and loving) TM and PM?
Of course, there will be! It hasn't been set for PlanMaker, but TextMaker 2005 will be available for $34.95/EUR 34.95 for customers that have TextMaker 2002, with some introductory goodies thrown in.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ADBrown
08-09-2005, 05:16 PM

I was under the impression that the new Word Mobile now uses fully Word-compatible files, no longer causes loss of formatting, and supports images. Perhaps not a total overhaul, but much better than before.

SoftMaker
08-09-2005, 05:19 PM

I was under the impression that the new Word Mobile now uses fully Word-compatible files, no longer causes loss of formatting, and supports images. Perhaps not a total overhaul, but much better than before.
It /preserves/ more formatting (but by no means the majority of stuff you can place in files -- for example, AutoShapes and change track marks are lost), but this doesn't mean you can edit these advanced features on your Pocket PC. You make some changes to the document on the Pocket PC and /hope/ they synchronize back into the original document.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH