View Full Version : Final word on 32 process limit for wm5? Fixed?

Tye
08-05-2005, 07:55 PM
I've been doing my reading and can't seem to find an answer from anyone who has actually spent time with wm5.

Is this fixed yet? It is by far my single biggest PPC gripe. :roll:

Anyone have the definitive answer that's not under NDA??? Please???

surur
08-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Definitely NOT fixed.

re: Power to the People
Tuesday, August 02, 2005 1:00 PM by windowsmobile
Kristian, the max number of processes has not changed in WM5. That is fundamental to the way CE works and will take a significant amount of work to change. However, we understand your pain and want to fix it.

The driver model was also not changed, but it never worked the way you suggested. There is no division between memory for drivers and memory for applications. However, if you're talking about virtual memory constraints (that's a division between memory for DLLs and memory for applications), unfortunately, that too was not changed for WM5. It's another pain point we're very aware of, and another thing we want to fix, but that will take some fundamental rearchitecting.

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with the Bluetooth Manager issue you're describing, so I can't answer that question. There are two bluetooth stacks, one provided by Microsoft and one provided by a third party. The Microsoft stack doesn't have anything called a "Bluetooth Manager" so I believe you're asking about an issue with the other stack. I'm not familiar with changes they made to their code for this release.

Mike Calligaro

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2005/08/01/446240.aspx#446690

Surur

Zidane
08-05-2005, 09:07 PM
I can confirm Surur's findings. The OS definitely has the 32-process limit. Since Windows CE is a real-time/embedded OS used for more specialized applications than PocketPC, I wouldn't assume that this will ever be fixed as it's probably not considered a bug but a feature.

Tye
08-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Definitely NOT fixed.
Surur

Thank you, kind Sir(ur).
Definitely NOT what I wanted to hear. I posted a reply in that blog but it hasn't shown up. I guess they moderate things before posting them. Too bad, although I understand why. Maybe it will show up? Afterall, the first post did.

Tye
08-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Since Windows CE is a real-time/embedded OS used for more specialized applications than PocketPC, I wouldn't assume that this will ever be fixed as it's probably not considered a bug but a feature.
Yeah, I see what you're saying, although I politely but firmly disagree. :cry:

Tye
08-05-2005, 09:51 PM
I posted a reply in that blog but it hasn't shown up. I guess they moderate things before posting them. Too bad, although I understand why. Maybe it will show up?

Spoke too soon. It's there now.

surur
08-05-2005, 09:54 PM
There are work arounds, such as running software that needs to be present all the time, such as picture caller id, as a service, for which there is no restrictions on the number. Maybe wisbar could try coding their software in this way.

Surur

Tye
08-05-2005, 10:01 PM
There are work arounds, such as running software that needs to be present all the time, such as picture caller id, as a service, for which there is no restrictions on the number. Maybe wisbar could try coding their software in this way.

Surur
WisBar would definitely be what I consider an essential app. When Calligrapher 8 is released, that will be mandatory also. Then there's the wireless stuff, BT and WiFi. I use BT much more often, though.
Well, let's cross our fingers. Maybe I should post something to the LakeRidge board, if it's not already there...

Zidane
08-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Since Windows CE is a real-time/embedded OS used for more specialized applications than PocketPC, I wouldn't assume that this will ever be fixed as it's probably not considered a bug but a feature.
Yeah, I see what you're saying, although I politely but firmly disagree. :cry:
Well, I hope you didn't think that I thought it was a feature because I certainly don't. I hate having to program around it. I was just stating that Microsoft probably doesn't see it as a bug. What they really need to do is make a modification of Windows CE to be used exclusively as the PocketPC OS instead of just modifying the shell.

At the same time, though, the process limitation makes the OS extremely modular, such that entire portions can be added and removed. I just wish they would increase the available processes and API slots to at least 64 or even 128 as writing certain types of software that utiltizes these is getting more difficult with WM5.

Tye
08-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Zidane,

No, LOL. Sorry the humor didn't come through in the text. I understood exactly what you meant.

-Tye :)