View Full Version : Download to purchase ratio

yash.g
08-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Hello everybody,

I've just joined this forum. I was curious about the downloads to purchase ratio on sites like handango and pocketgear. So many people download the softwares but how many actually purchase it after the trial period expires? 10%, 20%, 50%.. how much??!! :roll: Does anybody have any idea?

I would appreciate any help. :)

stevelam
08-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Hello everybody,

I've just joined this forum. I was curious about the downloads to purchase ratio on sites like handango and pocketgear. So many people download the softwares but how many actually purchase it after the trial period expires? 10%, 20%, 50%.. how much??!! :roll: Does anybody have any idea?

I would appreciate any help. :)

Well, Welcome to the forums (although it proboably isnt my place). I think it would be quite hard to find that out without asking handango or pocketgear for their logs witch I would guess that they might not like to give out. However I personally only buy a very small fraction of the someware that I trial maybe 5-10% 8)

Maybe we would get more responce by moving this thread to Just Chatting.

Hope that helps!

yash.g
08-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Hello stevelam,

Thank you for the welcome and the reply :) I mailed both handango and pocketgear but as expected none of them replied back! I will post this topic in just chatting - let's see if someone replies.

Thank you.

surur
08-08-2005, 08:42 PM
There's a presentation online somewhere from handango to Symbian developers which you may find useful.

http://www.symbian.com/news/events/expo04/files/D1_1600_Jason_Wells.pdf

It mentions a download to sales rate of 2.7 % (but they may be referring to web page views)

Surur

Darius Wey
08-09-2005, 05:04 AM
Thank you for the welcome and the reply :) I mailed both handango and pocketgear but as expected none of them replied back! I will post this topic in just chatting - let's see if someone replies.

Hi yash.g, welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts.

Please don't cross-post. I've deleted the other thread you made.

And since this isn't strictly a "Developer" thread, I've moved it to "Just Chattin'". ;)

yash.g
08-09-2005, 05:18 AM
Hi Darius,

Thank you and sorry! :( I'll be careful next time :)

yash.g
08-09-2005, 05:26 AM
There's a presentation online somewhere from handango to Symbian developers which you may find useful.

http://www.symbian.com/news/events/expo04/files/D1_1600_Jason_Wells.pdf

It mentions a download to sales rate of 2.7 % (but they may be referring to web page views)

Surur
Thank you Surur. I also found another presentation by Clint Patterson of Handango for UIQ developers where he claimed the ratio to be as high as 25% for certain applications!!

This is confusing...

I'd like to ask the cstomers...typically how many applications you purchase from the trials that you download.

PocketPC Addict
08-10-2005, 01:25 AM
Seems the numbers that are tossed around are 10% or 12% of the downloads = sales. This is obviously just a rule of thumb. Some sell more, others sell less.

The PocketTV Team
08-13-2005, 06:28 AM
> 10% or 12%

All the developers that we know would agree that it's much less. Almost always less than 5%. Often less than 1%.

PocketPC Addict
08-13-2005, 03:31 PM
> 10% or 12%

All the developers that we know would agree that it's much less. Almost always less than 5%. Often less than 1%.

I will admit the only basis for the 10-12% were some developer discussions on brighthand where people were comparing numbers. I by no means have any proof that all apps will make that much. Just anecdotal evidence.