View Full Version : Looking for smallest PPC w/BT, WM5?

Gizmoboy
07-31-2005, 11:23 PM
I've been lurking on here for a while, reading up on things.

Having come from a series of CDMA smartphones (Treo 600, XV6600, Samsung i730), I have become convinced that combining the phone and PDA is just not ready for primetime yet. Too many missed calls, failed notifications, etc.

I can't afford not to be getting my calls, so I'm going to switch to a BT phone (EVDO) and use it combined with a PDA to access my email and schedule wirelessly.

So, I want to find some kind of a roundup (or recommendation) on the most svelte PocketPC that has or will support WM5.

As far as I can tell, there are no WM5 PDAs out as yet, which leaves either the waiting game, or the guaranteed upgrade route.

The only PDAs I know of that have guaranteed a WM5 update are the Dell X50V and HP 4700, but they seem like they might be a touch on the bulky side (seems comparable to or slightly larger than my XV6600). (Has the LOOX announced an upgrade plan?)

In terms of pending WM5 PDAs, all I've seen so far are stories on pending smartphones with WM5 -- what are the pure PDAs that are coming (and is there any gain to pure PDAs for WM5, or is it more a benefit to smartphones)?

I am not in urgent need, so I can sit on it a while if something's coming -- either that, or I bite on the X50V now and see what happens (looks like I just missed a great deal, though, so sitting might eb the way to go anyway -- the best I can get through our Dell rep is ~$350 for an X50V).

Long story short, what recoomendations are there for a WM5 pure PDA with bluetooth (and maybe WiFi) as light and compact as possible?

Sven Johannsen
08-01-2005, 01:09 AM
One other line that has been announced as being upgraded is the HP 2700 series. A bit smaller than either the 4700 or the Dell. It also has the physical advantage of coming with an integrated cover (though not as elegant as the Jornada ones) so you won't need to add bulk with any case.

I haven't really seen anything specifically tauting new WM5 hardware except for phone editions and smartphones. Wonder if the OEMs are deciding if plain PPCs have a place in the choir.

GSmith
08-01-2005, 01:27 AM
(Has the LOOX announced an upgrade plan?)

Yes, the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720 will officially be upgradable to WM5, but it is still not determined if it will cost anything. Indications are that it will (because it will be "downloadable" from their "Pocket Loox Store"--as opposed to their support web site).

Nurhisham Hussein
08-01-2005, 02:42 AM
Further on the Loox, FSC are the only ones to date to give a firm date for the upgrade - Sept 14 for the Loox720.