View Full Version : Blue Angel 1.40 ROM bug T-mobile GPRS disconnect fix (Cooked ROM)

rdaprix
07-29-2005, 03:07 PM
* Ahem * Tap tap... is this thing on? OK.

If you have a XDA Blue Angel running on the T-mobile network in the US (that would be a MDA-III or an unlocked device) and you were unlucky enough to go for the ROM upgrade to 1.40, you have no doubt noticed some inconvenient bugs. The good news, is you’re not alone, and there’s a fix.

Specifically, the major bug is that after making or receiving a call on the phone, the device will not reconnect to GPRS without a soft reset (or going into flight mode and then out of flight mode). This can be a major pain since you might forget and you won’t get your e-mail and what you get every time you try to send e-mail is the error message: “Dialed:internet3.voicestream.com
Cannot connect for an unknown reason. To check your connection settings and change them if needed , tap settings. If the problem continues, reset your mobile device according to your manufacturer’s specifications and try again.”

If you’re using a goodlink license for Exchange push e-mail, you’re dead in the water because you need to reboot after every phone call or cradle dock.

This is, by the way, a known issue. IMATE in Dubai is working on it, but doesn’t expect a fix for some time yet (mid August, earliest). IMATE phone store (on the go solutions) is trying to be helpful but their line is basically: “Hey—we never told you to upgrade the ROM—not our problem. Call Dubai.” Dubai says, call the retailer for warranty, and the finger pointing begins.

Fortunately, there’s a fix (bear with me—the links for the fix are in this post). The problem is this ROM version has a feature wherein you press the red disconnect button and hold it down and this disconnects the call, and the GPRS connection. It doesn’t quite work that way—as noted. Many people are having the GPRS disconnect problem, and it’s not isolated to one carrier. There are many discussions about this on XDA developers, here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=21972&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=7c91894dd5822c9b4885cc91abec11de

The solution is to run two .cab files. The first will reset the specific faulty cab file: the I-Mate customization cab (Default_ImateV112.002.cab). Running this cab file changes the offending “Flags2” file so that the integer is not ‘8’ (the default) but 16 (which solves part of the problem—‘0’ would remove the button completely. This is the first part of your fix.

The second is the caller ID .dll file—it needs to be downgraded in the extended ROM to the earlier version: (Caller ID) Version 1.20 Build 19167.

If you do both of these things your GPRS disconnection woes should be taken care of until such time as there’s a proper ROM update for this.

XDA developers and the good folks there have in the ROM kitchen customized the extended ROM to fix the problem. Below, I list the links for the cab files and instructions for fixing this problem.

NOTE: THIS IS COOKED ROM. BACKUP YOUR ROM IMAGE TO SD CARD (FLAWS AND ALL) IN CASE YOU NEED TO RESTORE IT!!!

I have been using these two cab files and they seem to work pretty well. I have to soft reset only once and that was after a lot of activesync changes and synchronization and transferring files (as opposed to after every phone call) and it works.

Here are the fix steps. First—make sure your device is backed up and connected to your PC via activesync in the cradle.

1) download the following .cab file to your desktop: “Default_ImateV112.002.cab”—you can find this file here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=21972&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=7c91894dd5822c9b4885cc91abec11de

It’s the first one (resets ‘flags2’ to 16).
2) Copy the .cab file by right clicking on it and then click ‘explore’ in activesync and paste the files in the program files directory (Mydevice/program files).
3) Go to your device. Tap “Start/file explorer/program files/--you will see the .cab file you just pasted there. Double tap it and it will run.
4) Take your device out of the cradle after it is finished.
5) Perform a soft reset.
6) Place the device back in the cradle and resync it.
7) Download the following ‘cooked’ extended ROM file that will downgrade the caller ID file: You can find it here: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=BA_ERK_Cooked14x It’s the first link.
8) Copy the file “Album_BlueAngelAKU26_Generic_WWE_RC20.CAB” from your desktop to your device via activesync (Explore: Mydevice/program files) and paste it into program files
9) Go to your device, tap “Start/file explorer/program files”. Double tap the .cab file. It will run.
10) When it’s finished running, remove your device from the cradle. Perform a soft reset.

That’s it. Check it. Start your GPRS always on connection. Make a phone call. Make a couple. Then hang up (depress the red button briefly) and wait.

Your device should reacquire the GPRS connection without a reset in accordance with the ISP setting you have selected (check every ‘X’ minutes) or if you have a good link license almost immediately.

As is always the case with a cooked ROM version, you have no guarantees, but you can always restore your backup file if you don’t like the results, and if you have an unlocked device like me, or if you have come to realize that we know more about these devices than the help desks that support them and we are (for better or worse) our own tech support, then this is for you. The fact is, it’s not gonna magically fix itself, and your carrier or retailer is just gonna have you keep going through the script with reset after hard reset, so you may as well do what actually works.

This fix has worked for a whole bunch of people (check the XDA developers link above on this discussion. I can tell you it works on my device, and this is a known issue on T-mobile and some other carriers with the 1.40 ROM upgrade.

I hope this helps, and I wish you frustration free mobile computing.