View Full Version : MP3 files stored in PPC - Compression software ?

southgrid
07-28-2005, 08:07 AM
Hey Hey :mrgreen:

I am actually using my PPC also for an MP3 Player. Download
the various Podcasts available in itunes.

Is there a smaller version of MP3 files that I can convert that would
take up lesser space, that way I could store loads of the compressed
version of MP3 files on my PPC.

Any suggestions ? any compression software for MP3 files with
the same sound quality of course ...heheheh .. i know its
asking for the best of both worlds :-)

PPC BLD
07-28-2005, 09:24 AM
There's no way to reduce an mp3's size without dropping the bitrate. If you want equal sound quality for much smaller files, consider using RealProducer to convert the files to decent RealAudio files and getting the pocket realplayer.

If the bitrate is 256 or 192, you may be able to reduce to 160 or 128 bitrate MP3s and not be able to tell the difference. My favorite free MP3 conversion software is called CDEX, it's available on download.com

Robb Bates
07-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Or you could convert it into WMA files which (Arguably. No flames please) sound the same at half the bitrate.

I'm sure you can find a conversion program with google.

MP3 at 128kbps is supposed to be essentially CD quality.
WMA at 64kbps is supposed to be the same.
WMA at 48kbps is still quite good.

For speech only, you can get MP3s down to 8kbps(bad but usable quality) or WMA down to 5kbps.

I personally use the second WMA variable bitrate setting in WMP10 to rip my CDs. I can't really notice enough difference to complain about it and that gets you 50-95kbps (0.36 - 0.68 MB per minute).

You may also want to consider Ogg Vorbis.

Robb

southgrid
07-29-2005, 05:24 AM
Hi PPC BLD, :-)
Thanks alot for the input on the CDEX. I will try this out over the weekend.

southgrid
07-29-2005, 05:29 AM
Hi Robb
Wow yes. This would be another alternative -WMA.
Will give this a try, and convert these large PODCASTS from itunes
to WMA. Do you happen to have a converter software from
MP3 to WMA ? or can i also use the CDEX that was recommended to me earlier ?

Anyway, its great tips for me espcially the feedback and the quality
portion :mrgreen: I will try this out and let you guys know.

Oh yes, I noticed you are using the BT Headset Jabra BT250. I was
actually thinking of buying this too. However the BT258 Jabra instead to
work with my O2XdaIIs. How is the quality for BT250 ? :-)

Thanks a mill ! :-) Stay safe!

narmi2
07-29-2005, 10:23 AM
As I have been into audio compression for a long time now. I would suggest the following.

Its always best to store the original audio files onto your computer using a lossless encoder, e.g. flac, ape, wv etc. This way you will always have the originals at your disposal and you can transcode to any lossy format after that without any hastle. E.g. mp3, aac, ogg, wma, mpc. Just make sure you have a large hard drive because they are no where new as small as lossy encoders. On average a lossless file is about 50% smaller than the original wave file.

Now you are probably wondering, which lossy codec is best for low bitrates. Well in my opinion I would go for aac, mainly because it has so many big companies behind it, and it has a very promising future. I already think it is the best codec for low bitrates. I think the rest of the world knows aac as mp4. mp4 is actually a container file which holds the aac audio file. The downside is, you have to pay to get the aac encoder. There are free versions available, but naturally they are not as good.

The next best choice, in my opinion, is ogg vorbis. Apparently its very difficult to tell the difference in sound quality between both aac and ogg vorbis. The plus side to ogg vorbis is that it is totally free!

I would say that both aac and ogg vorbis are better than mp3 at lower bitrates, and both formats can be played on ppc.

If you find this information helpful and would like to know more, please ask.

PocketPC Addict
07-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Word of caution: Make sure you test convert a couple of Songs at differing bitrates to make sure that the one you choose is the right selection. If you convert your whole CD collection to a bitrate that no Pocket PC player recognizes, you'll have to re-encode your whole collection again.

Robb Bates
08-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Oh yes, I noticed you are using the BT Headset Jabra BT250. I was
actually thinking of buying this too. However the BT258 Jabra instead to
work with my O2XdaIIs. How is the quality for BT250 ? :-)

I love it. It fits to your ear quite nicely. And fortunately it's not too geeky looking, so my wife is willing to be seen with me in public.

The quality is great for voice. You can listen to music, but it's not even a close replacement for regular headphones. You do need somewhat of a line of sight between devices. I have my phone and my PPC on my belt and if body parts get between them, the sound starts crackling. Also I think if you are in a heavy 2.4GHz environment (i.e. next to a WiFi router or cordless phones) the range isn't quite as good (only 15-20 ft or so rather than 30).

I highly recommend it, but if you wait a little bit, you can look for the BT500. It's the same design as the BT250 but with different button placement and a thinner body. It's supposedly a month or so from release, so you might not find it right away on Jabra's web site. Expansys has it for pre-order.

Robb