View Full Version : Misc 6600 Questions

RAP-BIG-ICP1
07-25-2005, 03:17 AM
I (as it seems a few others here) have recently gotten an Audiovox 6600 PDA phone. Mine is through Sprint.

It's not my first cell phone, and I'm no stranger to a PC, but it is my first PDA.

I'm still just learning it's basic features, but have already found a few things that have given me questions...

It has a GPS locater for the '911' service... can I (with the help of a 3rd party software) make use of this, and use it as a GPS mapping device/receiver?

What's the best software to use so that I can customize ringtones for individual contacts?

Does it have WiFi capabilities (without additional hardware)?

Is there a way to 'truely close' applications without going to the setting/memory menu?

What hardware or software additions will I need in order to use it as a modem for my laptop? (is this even possible? - I seem to have read somewhere that it is)

Any thoughts on additional batteries?

I guess that's about it for now... I've read the other threads on cases, and bluetooth headsets. I'll likely go with the Motorola 810 (I think) for the headset - I tried one on today, and it was VERY light, and comfortable.

TIA!!!!

MitchellO
07-25-2005, 07:22 AM
Is there a way to 'truely close' applications without going to the setting/memory menu?

I use a prog called vBar. Its free, and works great.

ADBrown
07-25-2005, 07:57 AM
It has a GPS locater for the '911' service... can I (with the help of a 3rd party software) make use of this, and use it as a GPS mapping device/receiver?

Not at present.

Does it have WiFi capabilities (without additional hardware)?

No. You would have to add an expansion card for that.

Besides the aforementioned vBar, I also recommend WISbar. There are several versions of this--there was one original program that was abandoned by the developer, and subsequently was resurrected by several others. vBar is one of these. I prefer Pelmar WISbar 1.4, or LakeRidge WISbar Advanced 2.

What hardware or software additions will I need in order to use it as a modem for my laptop? (is this even possible? - I seem to have read somewhere that it is)