View Full Version : Win Mobile 5 version of LOOX 720 release for the US?

Typhoon
07-22-2005, 04:46 AM
What I don't understand is that why FS hasn't sold the LOOX 720 in the USA? Does anyone think they are planning to sell it in the USA when the Win Mobile 5.0 version of the LOOX 720 will be released?

Nurhisham Hussein
07-22-2005, 05:41 AM
Actually, they're only selling in Europe and nowhere else. There was a case of a guy looking for one in Taiwan, and he happened to live not more than two hours from the company that actually manufactures them. He had to import it from Europe, too.

Typhoon
07-22-2005, 06:39 AM
Actually, they're only selling in Europe and nowhere else. There was a case of a guy looking for one in Taiwan, and he happened to live not more than two hours from the company that actually manufactures them. He had to import it from Europe, too.

LOL how sad...

Typhoon
07-22-2005, 06:39 AM
Then FS is a fool...

Darius Wey
07-22-2005, 07:04 AM
Then FS is a fool...

I don't know. Are they? I won't speak for the company itself, but in almost all cases, a business operates to maximise returns and increase profit. As long as Fujitsu-Siemens are doing that, they have no reason (other than for goodwill and global satisfaction) to be expanding outside of Europe. There are significant costs associated with establishing bases and deals with resellers globally, so they always run the risk of losing out from such a move. That's why many manufacturers choose to stay local: Dopod in Asia, i-mate in select regions around the world, O2 in the Asia-Pacific, and so on.

Typhoon
07-22-2005, 07:11 AM
Then FS is a fool...

I don't know. Are they? I won't speak for the company itself, but in almost all cases, a business operates to maximise returns and increase profit. As long as Fujitsu-Siemens are doing that, they have no reason (other than for goodwill and global satisfaction) to be expanding outside of Europe. There are significant costs associated with establishing bases and deals with resellers globally, so they always run the risk of losing out from such a move. That's why many manufacturers choose to stay local: Dopod in Asia, i-mate in select regions around the world, O2 in the Asia-Pacific, and so on.

Oh yea, you are definitely right. And I have thought of that...but I just don't see any reason that would say "no, don't sell to the US!".

Darius Wey
07-22-2005, 07:15 AM
Oh yea, you are definitely right. And I have thought of that...but I just don't see any reason that would say "no, don't sell to the US!".

I know. It does bite. I sort of wish they'd sell it here in the Asia-Pacific region too. However, in comparison to companies such as Dell, HP, and I guess I could include Toshiba in there as well (even though they're now in hiatus), Fujitsu-Siemens is (relatively) new in the PDA market. Perhaps with time, they'll expand to other regions.

Typhoon
07-22-2005, 07:46 AM
lol yeaaaaa...hopefully

surur
07-22-2005, 08:14 AM
At least there is always expansys-usa.com (http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=LOOX_720)(until FSC sues then :( ) and Clove (http://www.clove.co.uk/products/products.asp?strAreaNo=400_1_10&intElement=529)ships globally.

Surur

Typhoon
07-22-2005, 08:18 AM
At least there is always expansys-usa.com (http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=LOOX_720)(until FSC sues then :( ) and Clove (http://www.clove.co.uk/products/products.asp?strAreaNo=400_1_10&intElement=529)ships globally.

Surur

Don't they allow shipment of the PDA back to Expansys to take care of the warranty? Does it cost?

Nurhisham Hussein
07-22-2005, 08:23 AM
Expansys, as they say, sux. Go with Clove - they give better and faster service, and with no VAT are probably cheaper too. O'course, beggers can't always be choosers (been there, done that) :roll:

Typhoon
07-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Expansys, as they say, sux. Go with Clove - they give better and faster service, and with no VAT are probably cheaper too. O'course, beggers can't always be choosers (been there, done that) :roll:

So why does Expansys suck? I tried searching the forums but that a search through 299 topics...

Nurhisham Hussein
07-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Lousy service, extremely limited warranty (3 months IIRC), limited payment options (for me at least). Tends to show stock available when there isn't, put you on a waiting list without informing you, slow delivery etc etc etc. Trust me on this - I've had two transactions with them, and both had significant problems. Try a Google search on 'expansys' and 'service'.

Typhoon
07-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks, I will do that. That is terrible...

Duncan
07-22-2005, 06:54 PM
The reason Fujitsu-Siemens don't sell in the US is largely to do with Fujitsu. There is a market demarkation between the two companies that effectively means that in general you buy from one company in the EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) market but another in the Asia-Pacific market. There are exceptions to this but usually in specifc specialities - they don't tread on each other's toes.

Fujitisu went with the Fujitsu-Siemens originated Loox 600 and Joined FSC in gettin the Loox 610 form Asus. For some reason, however, Fujitsu chose not to market the Loox 400 series and decided to rebadge an Asus device rather than go with the Loox 700 series.

Fujitsu US has never marketed any version of the Loox. In the days of the Loox 600 and 610 this was due to a perception that HP (and later - Dell) had tha market sewn up. Now I supect it may be a mix of that and potentially an agreement with Asus too.

I know this - FSC *do* want the Loox 700 series to be marketed in the US.

Typhoon
07-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Who is FSC?

Duncan
07-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Who is FSC?

FSC is Fujitsu-Siemens Corp.