View Full Version : PPC-6700 EVDO Pocket PC Phone to Debut on Sprint?

Janak Parekh
07-21-2005, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcsintel.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1001' target='_blank'>http://www.pcsintel.com/modules.php...rticle&sid=1001</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Sprint customer service representatives today have officially begun to inform consumers of an upcoming product, the PPC-6700...The PPC-6700 is expected to be a $649 software update to the existing PPC-6600. Currently confirmed is that it will add EV-DO to the device, as well as Windows Media Player 10 (which was previously released in an unofficial update). It is not known if Windows Mobile 5.0 will be included or not."</i><br /><br />Sprint has long been rumored to be readying an update for the PPC-6600 to add these features; I hope they still do so <i>and</i> offer the PPC-6700. Time will tell; in the meantime, if you're planning on getting a new Pocket PC Phone on Sprint, you might just want to wait a bit longer.

Fritzly
07-21-2005, 04:02 PM
$649 for a software upgrade? Personally I don't use Sprint, I prefer GSM and I don't buy locked equipments at all but, if I remeber correctly, for around $500 you buy Office 2003 Professional. Boh

IcemanMN
07-21-2005, 04:37 PM
$649??? What a ripoff. If I owned a 6600 I would drive to the nearest sprint store and throw it through their window.

alabij
07-21-2005, 05:42 PM
$649? Bad marketing ploy. Basically they are forcing consumers to buy a new device in the form of an upgrade. Bad, bad bad marketing Sprintel

jglev
07-21-2005, 06:32 PM
$649? Bad marketing ploy. Basically they are forcing consumers to buy a new device in the form of an upgrade. Bad, bad bad marketing Sprintel

I can't believe that even Sprint would be that stupid. My guess from what I have read and what makes sense is that the PPC-6700 will be a 6600 updated with the EVDO radio and the latest ROM and will replace the 6600 which will no longer be sold by Sprint. They will then offer the software upgrade to current 6600 owners either for free or for a small fee or someone will extract the ROM from the 6700 and post it.

that_kid
07-21-2005, 08:20 PM
My guess from what I have read and what makes sense is that the PPC-6700 will be a 6600 updated with the EVDO radio and the latest ROM and will replace the 6600 which will no longer be sold by Sprint. They will then offer the software upgrade to current 6600 owners either for free or for a small fee

Now if the new device supports WM5 then i'm all for it. On the other hand if al they are doing is releasing a software update and calling it new then it's a terrible decision. The current 6600's can work on Sprints EvDO network once Sprint provides the new radio rom and EvDO prl. If Sprint releases a product that is just a software update to their current offerings then people won't go for it.

ikesler
07-21-2005, 11:57 PM
I do have a 6601 on Sprint and have for 6 months now..... I love the device but hate this news! I have been waiting to hear what they would do about the EVDO since I got the phone and am VERY upset if this is the way they go. I have been a Sprint customer for 7 years and will let them know my disgust if this is what happens.
However, if they offer a software upgrade for a smaller fee, I am okay with it.
But something tells me that Sprint will screw this up and not do that! :evil:

that_kid
07-22-2005, 01:07 AM
According to this (http://www.pcsintel.com/modules.php?name=News&amp;file=article&amp;sid=1009&amp;mode=&amp;order=0&amp;thold=0) sprint will be offering an update for the 6600/01's but by that time i'll most likely have a new device :roll: