View Full Version : UMTS,GPRS, EDGE, EGPRS!! HELP PLEASE!?!?!

saru83
07-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi folks, i would really appreciate if someone helps me by telling me the differences between these data services, theirs speeds, and r they all GSM services?... i know that GPRS is based on GSM and its 56kb/s but i'm not sure of the rest.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
$@rU

ADBrown
07-21-2005, 05:09 AM
GPRS is the basic level of data service on GSM networks. As you already know, it has a maximum speed equivalent to a 56k modem, about 5 KBytes a second. It's used by T-Mobile and Cingular, as well as many smaller GSM providers, and any modern GSM phone will support it.

EDGE and EGPRS are different names for the same thing, Enhanced Data for GSM Evolution, aka Enhanced GPRS. It has a maximum speed of around 15-20 KBytes per second. It's available on almost all of Cingular's network, and parts of T-Mobile coverage are also reportedly in testing. You specifically need to have an EDGE capable device in order to take advantage of the improved speeds.

UMTS is a third generation, or 3G, data service based on GSM technology. It's also sometimes referred to as WCDMA or 3GSM. It offers speeds of up to 25-35 KBytes per second, but is only available from Cingular in a handful of cities. Almost no phones or other devices support it.

saru83
07-21-2005, 06:15 AM
Thanks ADBrown, i really appreciat ur help, it was very informative.

I just wanted to make sure of somthing, isnt WCDMA the next generation of CDMA which is Digital network? so is UMTS available both in WCDMA and GSM?? just wondering...

Thanks agian.
Regards.
$@rU

ADBrown
07-21-2005, 06:27 AM
The next generation of CDMA is a technology called EVDO. While UMTS/WCDMA does share certain design elements with CDMA, hence the name, it's a GSM technology.

saru83
07-21-2005, 07:06 AM
thx for the info ;)