View Full Version : Bluetooth and Airplanes

njl2016
07-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Is it okay to use Bluetooth while on an airplane? (obviously after the 10K feet restriction) How about WiFi?

Sven Johannsen
07-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Is it okay to use Bluetooth while on an airplane? (obviously after the 10K feet restriction) How about WiFi?

No, and No. Except of course for those airlines that have already embraced the WiFi in the air concept. Most of the lists of prohibited activities start with any device that transmits, and then goes on to citte examples like Cell phones, walkie talkies, remote control toys, etc. WiFi and BT are part of that class of device.

There are some airlines that have installed internet access via WiFi on board, and I wonder how they are handling BT as it is on the same frequency and significantly lower power.

BTW, BT between what?

Paragon
07-19-2005, 10:11 PM

That depends what you want to use it for. ;)

http://www.devans.ca/bluetooth.jpg[/img]

Darius Wey
07-20-2005, 12:42 AM

Hahahaha... A nice way to brighten up my morning. :lol:

Paragon
07-20-2005, 01:07 AM
or end it, depending on which side of the planet you are on.

I have been holding that image for a long, long time, waiting for the right moment. :)

Stephen Beesley
07-20-2005, 06:04 AM

Hahahaha... A nice way to brighten up my morning. :lol:

Have to agree - most amusing!

On a serious note this is the only downside I can see for the new breed of BT keyboards. After all an areoplane seems to be one of the places that you would most want to have the space saving advantage of a Pocket PC and Keyboard (especially in economy/cattle class).

It is for this reason that I have kept a Targus IR keyboard even though I have a Stowaway BT mouse and keyboard combo.

njl2016
07-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Yes, with a device like a BT keyboard.

P.S. I never saw the list of approved devices in my issue of Sky magazine.

yankeejeep
07-20-2005, 09:31 PM
Well, until things sort themselves out, on US airlines the general rule of thumb is that any type of device using radio-frequency for connection is out. I also keep my Stowaway IR in the flying luggage. When on the ground, I am another happy user of the BT mouse and keyboard combo. Fortunately, the footprint of both keyboards is about the same, but I do miss the BT positioning flexibility when I have to use the IR version.