View Full Version : eReader Pro Now Only $9.95

Ed Hansberry
07-19-2005, 08:00 PM
<a href="http://www.ereader.com/products/ereader/trial">http://www.ereader.com/products/ereader/trial</a><br /><br />eReader has cut the price of eReader Pro from $14.95 to $9.95. This is far and away <i>my</i> favorite ebook site and ebook reader. They do have a free eReader version. In fact, it is the same version but once the trial period is over, the "Pro" features are deactivated. The Pro benefits over the regular version include:<br /><br />• Use reference books to enhance their reading experience. I think it includes a basic dictionary and you can purchase additional material. You simply highlight the word and select "Look up" from the menu and get a definition of the word.<br />• Use custom color themes or create your own.<br />• Enable right margin justification, customize line spacing and other display items.<br />• Auto scrolling and Rapid Serial Visual Presentation.<br /><br />If you have been on the fence about forking over a few dollars for the Pro version, perhaps the new lower price will be enough to push you over. :)

Jonathan1
07-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Where's my full screen view? :cry:

Ed Hansberry
07-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Where's my full screen view? :cry:
Believe it or not, deliberately not there. They have enough trouble with people not being able to install a book, despite the fact it is totally automatic. In tests with a FSC, people were getting in full screen view and then, having no clue how to get out, would soft reset. Yeah, I know, it should be an option. Still, I actually agree with them. I put PaintShop Pro 7 into Full Screen Mode on my laptop via the menu and had to give it the three fingered salute to get out of it.

Plus, it would have to repaginate every time you got in/out of it. Last thing I want is 30 seconds of "waiting for page to load" as the renderer catches up with me.

Jacob
07-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Does this software support only their format or does it support common formats also?

Ed Hansberry
07-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Does this software support only their format or does it support common formats also?

They created the format back in 1997 or 1998, the original .pdb ebook. It is meant for their site, but I have seen "Palm" ebooks on other sites that should work with this reader too. It is not a proprietary format like some other ebook sites.

damager
07-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Believe it or not, deliberately not there. They have enough trouble with people not being able to install a book, despite the fact it is totally automatic.

I guess I can understand this, BUT, I read ebooks primarily in bed using a green on black font. This works great EXCEPT the freakishly bright titlebar and statusbar make it tough to see the text and create alot more light in the room than my better half would like. Other than that, this is a great reader.

dschur
07-20-2005, 01:34 AM
Needs a full screen view, otherwise I'll stick with mobipocket (really like th 5.0 beta). Real-estate is too limited to not leverage full screen.

disconnected
07-20-2005, 04:51 AM
Actually, I can understand people having problems with the installation process. They may have changed it a few times, but I think you used to have to unzip the download, and then the books would end up in a wrong folder and you had to manually move them.....I'm probably not remembering that exactly right, but it did seem somewhat confusing. Anyway, it just seems non-intuitive to be installing a package of app and books every time you buy a book. Also, at one time I had the app in memory and the books on a storage card, and I think that also caused installation problems. Now whenever I buy books (which is usually at least once a week), I just go to my bookshelf and download them individually and then copy them to the PPC; it may take longer, but it just feels tidier.

Tari Akpodiete
07-20-2005, 06:15 AM
i REALLY wish there was a .cab file for this program. well, a working one that is so that it can be installed manually. it's a real pain that it has to be installed with a desktop/laptop. what if you don't have one handy, or you do but don't have a way to sync an older device (missing cable, for example). other than that, i like it a lot although their ebook creation program is a bit restrictive when it comes to licensing. i especially like that .pdb files work on all my devices, from old and feeble to new and more powerful. i do use mobi and msreader as well, and like them a lot as well.

Ed Hansberry
07-20-2005, 12:55 PM
i REALLY wish there was a .cab file for this program. well, a working one that is so that it can be installed manually. it's a real pain that it has to be installed with a desktop/laptop. what if you don't have one handy, or you do but don't have a way to sync an older device .
I am 99.9% sure that if you copy the ereader zip file that you download from eReader.com to your Pocket PC, then open it with a zipping program, then take out the ereader.exe.ppc300.arm file out and put it where you want it, simply renaming it ereader.exe, then put the utildll.dll file in the same folder the same way, it will work. I haven't tried in a long time. It is just easier to let the installer do its thing on the desktop, but if you are in a bind, that should do the trick for you.

disconnected
07-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Anyway, you really only have to install the reader once. After that you can download individual books -- directly to the PPC if need be; no PC needed. I've done this lots of times from hotels, or even in the car (connected to bluetooth phone).

scottseligman
07-21-2005, 12:33 AM
I guess I can understand this, BUT, I read ebooks primarily in bed using a green on black font. This works great EXCEPT the freakishly bright titlebar and statusbar make it tough to see the text and create alot more light in the room than my better half would like. Other than that, this is a great reader.

I used to do the same basic thing, though I've since moved onto a book reader that has a full screen mode.

The bright start and menu bars got to me enough I wrote a simple app to hide them and launch the reader. I'll clean this app up so it'll work for other people and post it somewhere, sounds like others might find it useful.

asuspocketpcw
07-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Hmmm...My Start and Menu bars are much darker than the e-reader page using regular dark print format, so I've never had a problem with glare, even at the lowest backlight setting. The VGA support on the new version makes fantastic reading--text is as sharp as a good printed page. These days, I don't even want to pick up a printed book unless it has big pictures :)