View Full Version : Scenarios For Windows Mobile Devices

Ed Hansberry
07-17-2005, 11:00 PM
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/about/default.mspx">http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/about/default.mspx</a><br /><br />If you are like me, you look at a device from a specifications point of view. How much RAM does it have? How fast is the processor? We can take that information and our list of what we want to accomplish with the device and figure out what operating system would be best, what device, etc. We are geeks, that is what we do. :) <br /><br />Not everyone is like that though. They need a scenario. How will this help me out each day? Why would I want to even consider a pocketable device instead of lugging around my laptop? They need not only a "how" but a "why." Microsoft has put together a number of articles on their Windows Mobile like <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/articles/organizebusiness.mspx">Organize Your Life</a>, <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/articles/businesscreativity.mspx">How To Be Creative In Business</a> and <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/articles/businesstravel.mspx">Solve Your Top 5 Travel Nightmares</a>.<br /><br />They make for some good reading. These are the kind of links you can share with family and friends that keep asking about your device but really don't know if it would be useful to them. Who knows? Even the geeks among us could learn something new. :wink:

ipaq_wannabe
07-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Ed,

Something wrong with some of the links - all I get is a "question mark" in the source code properties...

Cheers!!!

:D

Ed Hansberry
07-17-2005, 11:16 PM
Something wrong with some of the links - all I get is a "question mark" in the source code properties...
That's what I get for posting in a hurry. :oops: Fixed, thanks!

ipaq_wannabe
07-17-2005, 11:24 PM
anyway, have converted the articles into Repligo-format - and would be reading them on today's commute...

MitchellO
07-18-2005, 12:58 AM
I plan for my next device to be the HTC Universal. THe keyboard will be great for school. Yes, it will be small, but still will be great to use for school.

I also want power, and a 520Mhz processor delivers for that. I have a 1Gb SD so storage aint a problemo.

I carry my i8600 to school every day, and it gets quite heavy. For the times I don't need VB6, the Universal could do for my what my laptop does now.

keirmeister
07-18-2005, 04:00 AM
Another thing I ask, and this is just as important since I'm an aesthetics whore: How does it look?

If I'm gonna throw down the $$$ for these devices, it better look bloody cool! 8)

- Keirmeister

urologyhealth
07-18-2005, 05:42 AM
Is Microsoft OFFICE ONE NOTE available for our PPC?

bleeman
07-18-2005, 05:52 AM
Is Microsoft OFFICE ONE NOTE available for our PPC?

Unforutnately no it isn't. With the release of Service Pack 1 for OneNote they added in the capability to sync your PPC notes with OneNote, but it's a one-way process. However, having recently moved to a Tablet PC I have discovered one thing I wasn't aware of when I was using OneNote on my laptop. With Windows XP Tablet PC edition, I can search on, edit, etc. the notes that have come from my PPC within OneNote as the digital ink on the PPC is compatible with the digital ink on my tablet. This still doesn't get my notes back down to my PPC, but it's been a great tool. I now take my PPC around with me for quick notes, knowing when I get back to my bigger Tablet I can edit, organize etc. those notes in OneNote.

07-18-2005, 07:07 AM
A HP 4350 form factor, agps, a 4gp hd ,quadband phone edition and a 2200 ma battery. Windows Mobile 5.0 of course. Maybe VGA Screen, but not necessary.

A wish would be compatibility with cingulars forthcoming hspda network.

MitchellO
07-18-2005, 08:01 AM
The 4350 was a great device. I had it just before my Mini, and really miss the b/i WiFi and Thumboard. The thumboard was just so incredibly handy, I never imagined it would be so good. I often used it for MSN Messenger when using my laptop.

Tim Rapson
07-18-2005, 01:46 PM
When I consider all I do with my PDA, I don't know how anyone could ever try one and then do without.

I could write one of these MSM articles myself every day. I use my word processor most, then EReader, photos (I have over 1,000 on my PDA, most taken with it to begin with, though the ones I get from WWW and my Minolta are just as valuable), Bible study, Maps (I just love the maps, I have them in three ways. RoadLinqua has a World Atlas, AcidImage allows me to see scanned maps I have copied from the WWW, and Mapopolis lets me find local or trip streets and places.), and on and on and on.

I look forward to longer battery life so I can listen to more music. I would like to get Wikepedia on my PDA, but it grows faster than I can afford the SD space. I should get around to finding an older version that will fit on the 500 MB currently available on my 1 GIG card.

As I said, I simply can't understand how anyone can use a PDA and not find new, better, essential uses all the time.

jeasher
07-18-2005, 04:17 PM
The 4350 was a great device. I had it just before my Mini, and really miss the b/i WiFi and Thumboard. The thumboard was just so incredibly handy, I never imagined it would be so good. I often used it for MSN Messenger when using my laptop.I still have my 4350. I can't find a better device to upgrade to! I think the HTC Universal might be it as long as it works on Cingular.

07-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Yeah I kind of missed the point though... I thought he wanted us to list our dream device... LOL

MitchellO
07-18-2005, 10:27 PM
The 4350 was a great device. I had it just before my Mini, and really miss the b/i WiFi and Thumboard. The thumboard was just so incredibly handy, I never imagined it would be so good. I often used it for MSN Messenger when using my laptop.I still have my 4350. I can't find a better device to upgrade to! I think the HTC Universal might be it as long as it works on Cingular.

Me too! (except I don't need cingular, just Telstra over here in Aus) I just didn't want to carry two devices around, and my T610 was crap, so I got the mini. The Universal is on my list!!