View Full Version : How to break a desktop PC?

lithium
07-17-2005, 08:27 PM
I have a 4 year old budget PC which crashes frequently despite my efforts to keep it going. I have no qualms about replacing it with a new one during the back-to-school sales. But the wife, not a technophile, doesn't see much point in buying new while the old one works. My underhanded question is, how would you 'break it', physically or by software, so that I can send it to the dumpster later on this summer? :twisted:

Thanks

smileyguy
07-17-2005, 11:03 PM
You could always crack open the case and unplug the heatsink fan.
Something else to try, a strong magnet to the hard drive

OSUKid7
07-18-2005, 12:43 AM
I would go with the heatsink fan solution. That should leave you with a fried CPU, but other accessories wold still work. Why not save the hard drive and some other pieces before sending the entire thing to the dumpster?

Sven Johannsen
07-18-2005, 01:45 AM
I've been married almost 30 years. I would not recommend that sort of deception has a relationship enhancement. Of course if you are not planning on the relationship lasting all that long. Go with the CPU fan.

Possibly just reloading the OS from scratch might help the crashing issue, but that's not what you are really after.

Paragon
07-18-2005, 02:35 AM
I've only been married about 20 years, so I'm not near as experienced as Sven, but I would have to agree. It's not the best solution for a long range plan. ;)

I would ask your wife how long she would put up with a car that stalled on her everyday on the way to work. Then explain to her that it costs much more to fix/upgrade a computer than it does to buy a new one.....and computers are infinitely cheaper than kids, right, Sven?

Dave

lithium
07-20-2005, 12:22 AM
My technical question reveals a bit about my maturity level. She and I are nearly opposites in interest in computers, funny. Thanks guys for having the grace not to flame, and the tech and human advice. Its something to think about. No doubt other PPCTers are trying to balance their pursuit of their hobby while considering the input from their closest relationships. With luck, they are doing a better job of it than I am.

Jon Westfall
07-20-2005, 03:37 AM
My technical question reveals a bit about my maturity level. She and I are nearly opposites in interest in computers, funny. Thanks guys for having the grace not to flame, and the tech and human advice. Its something to think about. No doubt other PPCTers are trying to balance their pursuit of their hobby while considering the input from their closest relationships. With luck, they are doing a better job of it than I am.

Remind her that computers are more than just a piece of office equipment to you, they are a hobby. Take a hobby she enjoys, like sewing for example, and ask her what she'd do if her needles became dull. She'd buy new ones. A computer hobby is no different: After 4 years a computer IS dull and if you want to continue your hobby, you need a new one. After all, you can always sell the old one on ebay for $100 or so, or donate it.

And if all else fails, load the computer up with adware and let her come to you complaining how slow the computer is. You get to buy a new one with no physical damage to the old - just clean off the adware and you've got the spare machine.