View Full Version : is the x50v really fast?

twmiller
07-17-2005, 01:46 AM
I am doing some research on the x50v – reading reviews. I have read 3 reviews (google – reviews x50v)
http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=495&p=3 and the bench marks make me wonder. The x50v is rated to have a fast processor, but the X50 and X30 blows it away on a lot of the bench mark tests!

I have a h3700 at this time, which in today’s day and age, is very slow.

I want my next PPC to be a power house. I also want a Dell. So which one should I get? Will the x50v do the trick?

Thanks for you help!!

One additional question - should I get a second 1100mah battery? I heard the run time on a charge is a little short. Is this true?

One other thing - none of the bench mark methods take advantage of the graphics acceleration that is built into the Intel 2700G Chip.
My question still stands - In real life, is this thing the power house I want?

Darius Wey
07-17-2005, 03:39 AM
I am doing some research on the x50v – reading reviews. I have read 3 reviews (google – reviews x50v)
http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=495&p=3 and the bench marks make me wonder. The x50v is rated to have a fast processor, but the X50 and X30 blows it away on a lot of the bench mark tests!

I have a h3700 at this time, which in today’s day and age, is very slow.

I want my next PPC to be a power house. I also want a Dell. So which one should I get? Will the x50v do the trick?

Don't worry too much about those benchmark scores. Firstly, they're all theoretical. Although two Pocket PCs equipped with 624MHz processors may have different benchmark results, in everyday use, the differences are negligible. The X30 might be ahead since it takes less processing power to render a particular component on a QVGA screen as opposed to a VGA screen, but like I said, it's not something you'll notice. Secondly, IIRC, back then, the benchmarks had not been updated to make full use of the new CPU technologies available in some of the PXA27x processors. Bottom line - if you want a fast and affordable VGA Pocket PC, the X50v is a very suitable choice.

One additional question - should I get a second 1100mah battery? I heard the run time on a charge is a little short. Is this true?

It's not terrible, but yes, the battery life can be a bit short at times. I guess it all comes down to what you're used to. I went from a 900mAh battery on my h1940 to a 1100mAh battery on my X50v, so the battery life of the X50v was not something I was too worried about. If you're a hard-core user and think you'll blow a full battery in under a day, then a spare 1100mAh battery may be a good idea. Alternatively, if you rather not constantly change batteries every time you need more juice, you could invest in the 2200mAh battery - as long as you don't mind the extra bulk added to the Pocket PC.

One other thing - none of the bench mark methods take advantage of the graphics acceleration that is built into the Intel 2700G Chip.

The benchmarks nor the current Windows Mobile OS takes advantage of the 2700G. Hence the disappointing benchmark performance. As soon as the Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade is released for the device, you'll see this device rock the world as Direct3D Mobile is made available for the GPU.

twmiller
07-17-2005, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the information!

I will have to admit, I am looking at battery life. I think the 2200mAh battery would never fit into the rhino hard case. Does anyone have the x50v with a 2200mah in a rhino hard case?

My H3700 only has a max of 2 hours 45 minutes battery power (according to the power meter).

http://www.vgapocketpc.com/archives/mobile/10-25-04-dell-axim-dell-axim-x50-battery-tests.php

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,33593

These two articles outline the expected Battery life. Compaired to my h3700, its not bad. 3 hours plus, non wifi, usage is ok. How much web surfing can a person do on a small screen anyway? After two hours, my eyes would fall out.

If I went to a x50 (non VGA) I can jump to 5.5. Is 2 additional hours battery life worth giving up the VGA and processer power of the x50v?

I guess, the x50v is the way to go.

Dalantech
07-17-2005, 10:14 AM
I'd have to agree: WM2003SE doesn't take advantage of the x50v's GPU, but WM5 will. And since the GPU can process video while using less power than the CPU battery life should improve with the new OS.

Also the x50v will be the only PDA with a fast 3D GPU when WM5 is released...

surur
07-17-2005, 10:25 AM
According to the rumors Wm5 will improve battery life dramatically, and due to persistent storage you will also be able to eke out battery life to the max (0%!!) instead of 20%.

Get the VGA screen, graphics co-processor and the upgrade path, worry about battery life tomorrow.

Surur

Darius Wey
07-17-2005, 04:04 PM
If I went to a x50 (non VGA) I can jump to 5.5. Is 2 additional hours battery life worth giving up the VGA and processer power of the x50v?

I guess, the x50v is the way to go.

Yup, I'm with the others here. Go with the X50v. You'll be glad you did.

twmiller
07-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks everyone!!!!

I am going with the x50v.