View Full Version : Looking for a new Desktop PC game - suggestions?

PocketPC Addict
07-17-2005, 01:22 AM
I am in a gaming crisis right now. I like to have a desktop PC game that I can play an hour before bed to unwind. I haven't been able to find one that's just right here recently and I am bored with the ones I already have.

Games I've played lately

Half-Life 2 (finished it)
CounterStrike (fun but too much cheating)
City of Heroes. (Too repetative)
Age of Mythology (I had a blast with it for a year. But sort of "yawn" now)

What are your suggestions? I am experiencing F.D.D (Fun deprivation disorder!) :lol:

Darius Wey
07-17-2005, 03:58 AM
Guild Wars. (http://www.guildwars.com/) Period. :mrgreen:

MacBriar
07-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Hands down Battlefield 2.

This is an excellent online multiplayer game that appears so far to be relatively cheat free at the minute. Also try SWAT 4 for some single player action.

At the minute I am addicted to Battlefield 2 and trying to advance towards the rank of corporal.

MacBriar

PocketPC Addict
07-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Both Battlefield 2 and Guild Wars did catch my eye. I downloaded the demo of Battlefield 2 and it seemed fun, but I had trouble with the controls (couldn't map buttons right) is it better in the full version?

clbsvi
07-25-2005, 01:12 AM
Try Nethack (Windows XP Version) and the related variant, SlashEM. Here is a good overview site for both games:
http://www.nethack.de/

marcm
07-25-2005, 04:12 AM
What genres of games are you looking at?
If you like racing I recommend Need For Speed Underground 2. I had a lot of fun with that, and it ran fine on my Thinkpad T41 too! Of course you should try the demo first. I forget where I downloaded it before I got it, but I think it should be somewhere on the EA site. Hopefully that will help treat your case of F.D.D! :wink:

chees
07-26-2005, 01:22 AM
Tribes Vengeance is very good. Especially the one player mode.

Typhoon
07-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Civilization 3 is a really good strategy game that you can buy at WalMart for $10. You will end up playing this game many times over. It is a really interesting game where you start as a primitive setteler. What you do is colonize as much land as possible. It is turn based so as you complete each turn, years go by. The point of the game is to build a nation, build technology, protect your citizens, create foreign relations, start a war if you have to, etc. It is really fun, but hard. You can start out inventing the wheel and advance in technology all the way to making tanks, star-wars-like lazer defense technology, stealth bomber, etc. But what the game takes is discipline, because you have to be a leader who knows how to use the nation's resources. You have to learn to be smart economically, militarily, diplomatically, etc. If you started spending 85% on leisure investments, then you would not have enough money to protect your own country. Or if you spent too much money on the military, then life in your country would get boring and your citizens will mutiny. Imagine if US citizens of the states of Washington and Oregon mutinied and allied themselves w/Canada! In the game, situations like that do happen. But what is really cool is you have a choice to be one of 16 different nations, including Russia, England, or the USA, or you can customize your own. So playing the game is kind of like playing real life. Many times in the game while playing the USA, I have risen to be world power...but competing w/China militarily. Now that's ironic... I think this game has won awards or reconitions like Editor's Choice and others.

There are two really great games that I am waiting for: 1) Tomb Raider: Legend, & 2) Fallout 3...

stevelam
07-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Hands down Battlefield 2.

This is an excellent online multiplayer game that appears so far to be relatively cheat free at the minute. Also try SWAT 4 for some single player action.

At the minute I am addicted to Battlefield 2 and trying to advance towards the rank of corporal.

MacBriar

YES YES YES. Battlefield2 is awsome. I managed to get to Lance Corporal this morning. G36c here I come :lol: :lol:

Ratel10mm
07-28-2005, 06:06 PM
If you haven't already played them, then Black Hawk Down & Joint Ops are very good. The latter is the better one imo. My games-mad collegue is raving about Battlefield 2 now however, so am loooking forward to trying that soon.

stevelam
07-29-2005, 09:59 AM
If you haven't already played them, then Black Hawk Down & Joint Ops are very good. The latter is the better one imo. My games-mad collegue is raving about Battlefield 2 now however, so am loooking forward to trying that soon.

I played Joint Ops before BF2 and BF2 is sooooo much better. BTW I didnt get the G36c the L85A1 is mine instead. Go British!!

PocketPC Addict
08-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Civilization 3 is a really good strategy game that you can buy at WalMart for $10. You will end up playing this game many times over. It is a really interesting game where you start as a primitive setteler. What you do is colonize as much land as possible. It is turn based so as you complete each turn, years go by. The point of the game is to build a nation, build technology, protect your citizens, create foreign relations, start a war if you have to, etc. It is really fun, but hard. You can start out inventing the wheel and advance in technology all the way to making tanks, star-wars-like lazer defense technology, stealth bomber, etc. But what the game takes is discipline, because you have to be a leader who knows how to use the nation's resources. You have to learn to be smart economically, militarily, diplomatically, etc. If you started spending 85% on leisure investments, then you would not have enough money to protect your own country. Or if you spent too much money on the military, then life in your country would get boring and your citizens will mutiny. Imagine if US citizens of the states of Washington and Oregon mutinied and allied themselves w/Canada! In the game, situations like that do happen. But what is really cool is you have a choice to be one of 16 different nations, including Russia, England, or the USA, or you can customize your own. So playing the game is kind of like playing real life. Many times in the game while playing the USA, I have risen to be world power...but competing w/China militarily. Now that's ironic... I think this game has won awards or reconitions like Editor's Choice and others.

There are two really great games that I am waiting for: 1) Tomb Raider: Legend, & 2) Fallout 3...

Ha! I used to play Civilization I for days...no sleep...just world domination LOL

Typhoon
08-02-2005, 03:31 AM
Yea, that game can be lots of fun and interesting. But it can be quite annoying too. Because you try to play the game and have fun, build a big empire and stuff like that, but some other nation justs attacks because you have no military... then you lose!

Typhoon
08-02-2005, 03:47 AM
I don't know if this will sound odd to anyone here because the couple games I will mention are pretty old: 1) Fallout 1, 2) Fallout 2. These games have been critiqued as the best RPGs of all time, and you can get both of these games all together for a total of $10 on eBay, so it is a really good deal. I really wanted to recommend these because they are my favorite games.

PocketPC Addict
08-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Well, my buddy talked me into plunking down the money for World of Warcraft, so that's the game I've been playing a week or so. I was pretty apprehensive having been burnt out on City of Heroes. But so far WoW is a blast! :mrgreen:

Any other Wow fans?

P.S. there is a nice Wow theme for Wisbar advance, Pocketbreeze, etc. here (http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2155). It's a keeper!