View Full Version : Are these the same software?????

q-live
07-16-2005, 05:42 AM
i got pocket streets 2005 but is it the same as streets and trips 2005 all by microsoft????? also i have trying to find a route from one place to another like mapquest but cant seem to do it on pps 2005..... and cant find it on their page how to do it...... can anyone help me out.

yankeejeep
07-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Streets and Trips is one of Microsoft's mapping programs for the desktop. MapPoint is another. Both can create maps that are exportable for use by Pocket Streets, the WM app. You can also download maps from the MS web site for use with Pocket Streets. I don't know if it is true for the 2005 version, but Streets and Trips used to include Pocket Streets for installation on a companion PPC device.

Sven Johannsen
07-17-2005, 03:41 AM
I don't know if it is true for the 2005 version, but Streets and Trips used to include Pocket Streets for installation on a companion PPC device.

It still does.

for q-live, Pocket Streets, the PPC mapping software does not have the ability to generate routes. It is limited to finding things.

The desktop program, Streets and Trips, does have the ability to generate routes, but they are not transferable to the handheld version. You can also find things and place pushpins. When you export a Streets and Trips map to Pocket Streets the pushpins do transfer.

Pushpins created on the Pocket version, however, do not transfer to the desktop.

Pocket Streets is a pretty decent electronic map, it is not, however a navigation system.

q-live
07-17-2005, 05:58 AM
so do mapopolis map out routes for you..... i mean i dont understand why ppc streets dont since u can dl the map to your phone...... why they didnt make it where it tells u the streets to get there

Sven Johannsen
07-18-2005, 03:15 AM
so do mapopolis map out routes for you..... i mean i dont understand why ppc streets dont since u can dl the map to your phone...... why they didnt make it where it tells u the streets to get there

Yes, Mapopolis does, as do many other mapping/navigation programs. Did you buy Pocket Streets as a standalone, or did it come with Streets and Trips or Autoroute? If you bought it, was it more than $20? The version of Mapopolis that does routing is $35. If you want GPS support as well, it is $100*. Most Navigation software is between $100 and $200. A notable exception is Delorme's Street Atlas Handheld, but it has some idiosyncracies. The typical way of getting Pocket Streets is free, with S&T, and that's why it doesn't do what the others do.

*Mapopolis' works by providing the software free. You buy maps based on whether you want GPS support or not.

q-live
07-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Yes, Mapopolis does, as do many other mapping/navigation programs. Did you buy Pocket Streets as a standalone, or did it come with Streets and Trips or Autoroute? If you bought it, was it more than $20? The version of Mapopolis that does routing is $35. If you want GPS support as well, it is $100*. Most Navigation software is between $100 and $200. A notable exception is Delorme's Street Atlas Handheld, but it has some idiosyncracies. The typical way of getting Pocket Streets is free, with S&T, and that's why it doesn't do what the others do.

*Mapopolis' works by providing the software free. You buy maps based on whether you want GPS support or not.[/quote]

So is mapopolis the best mapping program to you??? Which is the best right now????? price is not a issue, also i dont need gps support.

Sven Johannsen
07-19-2005, 02:37 AM
To me, yea, but I'm certainly far from the authoritative reference on nav programs. I can actually navigate with a paper map, so getting my location pegged by Pocket Streets is wonderful. I still keep Pocket Streets on my PPC because I really like the interface for finding things, and it does that very well. Mapopolis goes further in that it lets my plan a route from where I am to where I am going, by either selecting the destination off the map, out of contacts, or using the find feature. I can lay it on the seat next to me in the rental car in a new city and it tells me (audibly) when a turn is coming up and which way to turn. Takes me right to the hotel. When I got Mapopolis it was running around 80-90 bucks and the others were running significantly more. It does what I need and I'm used to it. Never had the inclination or money to buy two or three others to see what I was missing.

If I were to start from scratch today, I might go over to www.gpspassion.com and read user comments and reviews on other options. I especially would read reviews on multiple options from the same reviewer. That way you would get an actual comparison.

Personally I am hoping this thing http://www.navngo.com/#01 isn't vaporware. That's all there is about it at this point, but you should look at the videos. They have a flyover mode that is to die for. I would love to be able to plan a route and do a quick automatic 'flyover' before setting out. I'm a visual person and that would make my day.

q-live
07-19-2005, 06:10 AM
Personally I am hoping this thing http://www.navngo.com/#01 isn't vaporware. That's all there is about it at this point, but you should look at the videos. They have a flyover mode that is to die for. I would love to be able to plan a route and do a quick automatic 'flyover' before setting out. I'm a visual person and that would make my day.

man thats looks good!!!!! i wonder if there will be non-gps for pocket pc where you can map things out

iant54
07-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Another useful website for GPS reviews and news is http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/

Sven Johannsen
07-19-2005, 03:14 PM
man thats looks good!!!!! i wonder if there will be non-gps for pocket pc where you can map things out
Typically any of the nav programs can be used without a GPS. The GPS only comes into play when you start moving. Mapopolis though is one of the few (I believe) that has a radical price difference if you don't want the GPS capabilities. Most, you just don't ever turn GPS on if you don't want it.