View Full Version : Save 25% on DVD-to-Pocket PC This Summer

Jon Westfall
07-14-2005, 03:35 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html' target='_blank'>http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Nice for the summer holidays; Makayama have announced a 25% disount on DVD-to-Pocket PC this summer. Included is a free upgrade to version 3.0, due out in September and 200% faster then the competition. Turn your Pocket PC into a Pocket Movie Player. Holiday travel will be so much more relaxed and kids love to watch movies and tv in the car. DVD-to-Pocket PC 2.5 allows you to watch not only DVD's, but also home movies, downloaded content and other video files on your Pocket PC. The picture and sound quality has been vastly improved and it has a modern, styled look with fifty user-selectable skins. The software still has the intuitive two-click interface that made it such a bestselling and award-winning application."</i><br /><br />Nice. To receive a 25% discount: enter promotioncode SUMMER2005 before checkout on Makayama's Handango site. The code is valid untill Sep-1st, so you have some time to download the trial and play with it before you commit your cash. Gotta love summer - nice weather, and summer sales!

MitchellO
07-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Still think its a ripoff (pardon the pun). PocketDivXEncoder does almost the same thing for free, and makes better quality video in a smaller size. It also uses DivX, and Betaplayer plays DivX better than WMP plays WMV.

Dyvim
07-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Agreed. I paid for this app last year and it was nothing but trouble - I have since uninstalled it and discovered the joys of DivX encoding and BetaPlayer.

This app would make poor quality video IMO (even on its highest setting), crash my desktop (which has plenty of free memory and free HD space), and generally only encode about 1 out of every 3 DVDs I owned. The most frustrating thing about a DVD encoding app that doesn't work right is that you often have to wait several hours before you realize it didn't work right and then set it up again and then wait several hours before you realize that it didn't work again... Oh and the GUI is lousy.

invaders
07-14-2005, 09:03 PM
I think it's great, I've had no issues with it. The free tools get you there but take much more time. Pocket Divx encoder doesn't take DVD's as input, for example.

DVD-to-Pocket PC does an excellent job and it takes the hassle out of the process. The GUI is straight and simple. Thumbs up.

MitchellO
07-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Pocket Divx encoder doesn't take DVD's as input, for example

Simply using DVD Shrink to put the VOBs into one file on your HDD lets you convert them to DivX.