View Full Version : Building a professional website , Help

dpanet
07-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Before I tell you what I want and how to do it let me tell what I know first, I have a CS major , and with that I have a knowledge in C++ , Java and SQL.

Now , I want to build a fantasy soccer league, but the problem is I only know those languages, and frankly I don't want to start learning a new language that isn't related to C++ or Java or I can mix these two with others languages.

Anyone who knows ,Which language is used to build these fantasy Football websites, and if anyone know of a language that is suited to my knowledge that I can learn and adapt easily.

Kati Compton
07-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Before I tell you what I want and how to do it let me tell what I know first, I have a CS major , and with that I have a knowledge in C++ , Java and SQL.

Now , I want to build a fantasy soccer league, but the problem is I only know those languages, and frankly I don't want to start learning a new language that isn't related to C++ or Java or I can mix these two with others languages.

Anyone who knows ,Which language is used to build these fantasy Football websites, and if anyone know of a language that is suited to my knowledge that I can learn and adapt easily.
Well, you could use Javascript to do a lot...

But really, I'd recommend picking up PHP. You can use SQL queries within it to access a database. It's quite easy. Though, with your CS background you may be horrified at how loosely-typed it is. I know I was.

It's rather easy to pick up quickly. The only "new" concept is the fact that you can mix regular HTML and PHP in the same file - you can end the PHP part and then just write HTML that will be directly sent. The PHP part executes on the server, of course, not the client, so if you write it reasonably well and make sure that your config files are not plain text (but are PHP), it's reasonably safe. Be careful of text entry, string buffer issues, and hacking of URLs, of course.

OSUKid7
07-15-2005, 11:29 PM
But really, I'd recommend picking up PHP. You can use SQL queries within it to access a database. It's quite easy. Though, with your CS background you may be horrified at how loosely-typed it is. I know I was.
Yes, I too would suggest PHP+MySQL. I knew C++ and Java through AP Computer Science courses, and was able to learn PHP quite well in 2-4 weeks last December. I'm sure you'll pick it up very quickly. I agree with Kati that it is very loosely-typed, but I found that helpful in the end. You can have classes and functions, but you aren't required to have them. e.g. you can simply start writing code, or if you'll reuse it, you can write a function, or even a class.

Oh and btw, both the PHP and MySQL APIs are great. You can do a function lookup of either by simply going to the website /function-name, e.g. http://php.net/echo.