View Full Version : Where Has PTVL Gone?

piperpilot
07-13-2005, 03:19 PM
I have been using Pocket TV Listings from Thumbsupsoft for a couple of years now. Since yesterday, I have been receiving errors when I try to update my listings. I went to the PTVL web site to check their forums to see if anyone else was having problems, but couldn't get the web site to load. Is PTVL gone or is the web site just having problems?

applejosh
07-13-2005, 04:36 PM
I'm not having any problems with downloading my data (at least that I can see). I'm downloading data from Zap2It. I, too, cannot get to the ptvl.thumbsoft.com website (or anything in the thumbsoft.com domain), but hopefully it's just a temporary glitch.

buzzard
07-13-2005, 04:37 PM
I downloaded today's listings today so it appears to be OK. Try this url http://labs.zap2it.com/ztvws/ztvws_login/1,1059,TMS01-1,00.html

SofaTater
07-14-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm having the same problem. When I start Weblink, it tries to check for a software update and when it can't connect to PTVL's website, it gives up and will not proceed.

This has been happening that last couple of days.

piperpilot
07-14-2005, 03:56 PM
When I start Weblink, it tries to check for a software update and when it can't connect to PTVL's website, it gives up and will not proceed.

Yep, that's the exact problem I've been experiencing. At least I'm not alone.

applejosh
07-14-2005, 06:23 PM
I get that error when I actually start the program (i.e. when I have to reboot which I did this morning). But my program data is still downloaded.

disconnected
07-14-2005, 07:39 PM
I also get that error, but it allows me to check an 'ok' box or something like that and then it continues on to the zap2it site and downloads the listings.

buzzard
07-14-2005, 09:16 PM
I get that error when I actually start the program (i.e. when I have to reboot which I did this morning). But my program data is still downloaded.

I've been getting the same error....it tells you that there is an error but then goes ahead and gives you the detail. A little wierd, but it's still working.

Cybrid
07-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Same. But worse. A hard drive failure means having to re-download the "worker" weblink and I can't since PVTL is down. The actual data is from another site.... zap2it. This is why it works but at present you can't update the actual app. :cry:

Ripper014
07-15-2005, 09:00 PM
I am having the same issues as everyone else... with the exception that I am not able to proceed past the update check.

piperpilot
07-16-2005, 10:02 PM
On my work computer, I can get the listings after clicking on the OK button after the error message. On my home computer, however, I get nothing. Weird.

Steve01
07-17-2005, 05:04 AM
I can't get past the "Checking for new version" problem either...

If anyone can figure out why some users can still download data while others can't, I'd sure appreciate the info. I paid $20 for this software and I'd like to get it working again. I've tried Weblink version 2.0c and 2.0d with no success. I've even tried downloading XMLTV data, but Weblink still checks for a new version first, then refuses to convert the XMLTV data.

I loved this program... I hope someone can figure out a solution. Thanks

Steve01
07-17-2005, 05:17 AM
By the way, if thumbsupsoft.com is gone for good, no one will be able to reregister their Gigabar (beta version) software either. The next hard reset may mean looking for a new taskbar utility. It's a shame, I've been using their software for years... IMHO their stuff was the best.

Steven Cedrone
07-17-2005, 01:00 PM
I really hope ThumbsUpSoft is not gone! They did good work! When PTVL went from paid app to free, I figured I was living on borrowed time. We shall see...

mbc
07-18-2005, 01:37 AM
I encountered the same problem earlier this afternoon, not being able to get past the update check, and the web site was down. After finding this thread, I decided to check again and....it looks like both the application and developer http://ptvl.thumbsupsoft.com/ are back online! I'm downloading my update via WebLink right now...with fingers crossed.

Steven Cedrone
07-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Great news! I did notice that the forums are still down! I wonder what happened?

piperpilot
07-18-2005, 01:47 PM
I am no longer getting the update error but I am also unable to download data. After 5 minutes, I'm still stuck at "Downloading Zap2it Data Direct for day 1" :cry:

Ripper014
07-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I don't know where your problem lies Piperpilot... but I have been able to retrieve my data since yesterday. I for one am very happy to get my guide back... even though I am not a big TV watcher... I like to know what is going on.

Did you make any changes to your settings while PTVL was down...?

buzzard
07-18-2005, 05:03 PM
All seems OK with PTVL now, including the forums and the download page.

piperpilot
07-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Ditto here. All seems to be working well now. I need it to see what's on History Channel tonight :D

buzzard
07-18-2005, 08:44 PM
I'm glad you mentioned the History Channel...I just looked and the channel was dropped by my PTVL listings. This does seem to happen once in awhile for some reason....sometimes they fall off and others get added. I'll have to login and fix it. :lol:

piperpilot
07-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Wouldn't want to miss Deep Sea Detectives tonight :)

buzzard
07-18-2005, 09:27 PM
I logged into the online site and found that the History channel was already checked but for some reason, was left off of the download (heaven forbid...not the History channel). Downloaded it again and no change. Decided to download the whole PTVL program again and it's still missing. :cry: Luckily, in the infinite wisdom of Time Warner they have the same channel on two different stations (how else do you get 100's of channels :crazyeyes:) For some reason even though the channel's box is checked, it's still not downloading. Well I guess I'll just have to look at the other / same History Channel number.

piperpilot
07-19-2005, 12:48 PM
I've had that problem happen before. Check within the PTVL application itself under Listings ---> Setup ---> Channels to make sure all of them are checked, then check the Zap2it web site for the same thing.

Horror or horrors for me: I got home last night and discovered that my cable was out. A call to Comcast revealed that there was a widespread outage in my county. The cable was out all night and I missed the whole prime time lineup on History Channel :evil: