View Full Version : Outlook Mobile Manager 2.0

Ed Hansberry
07-13-2005, 12:00 PM
<a href="http://research.microsoft.com/adapt/omm/default.aspx">http://research.microsoft.com/adapt/omm/default.aspx</a><br /><br /><i>"We are happy to introduce Microsoft Outlook Mobile Manager 2.0. Microsoft Outlook Mobile Manager (OMM) brings the power of Microsoft Outlook to your portable device. OMM can prioritize your messages and makes smart decisions about when to send email. OMM also sends calendar reminders, task reminders, and an Outlook Today style daily summary all to your wireless device.</i><br /><br />I remember looking at version 1.0 a few years ago. It has been pulled from Microsoft's site for some time and I thought the whole project was dead. I was pleased to read on Arne's site that it is back and better than ever. Basically, this plugs into Outlook and as emails come in, it analyses them based on the way you have configured it then forwards them to your mobile device via SMS. It can do other things like send you your daily agenda from the Calendar too.<br /><br />For me, this is no longer of use as I am working with an Exchange 2003 server, but for many people, this is a viable alternative. The only catch is it must run with Outlook open, so if you have a laptop you also take with you on trips, you would want to set this up on another PC that was on 24/7 that could act as your 'server' processing your email for around-the-clock notifications.

alabij
07-13-2005, 01:06 PM
I fail to see the relevance of this program. What's the point of setting alarms on my PPC and then having them texted to me. Same with the e-mail.

Now with a dynamic account say with MS Exchange then it is reasonable to get notification. My point is, this plug-in proves no benefit to the single user.

Someone please correct me.. :?

Ed Hansberry
07-13-2005, 05:22 PM
You are assuming everyone that would want this has a Pocket PC or Smartphone. This will work with any text message enabled phone. You don't even need GPRS.

You are also assuming that those with a Pocket PC have GPRS or WiFi Access. They may not.

This is a good solution for individuals to have real time instant notifications of important emails, something that otherwise requires Exchange 2003 and a phone-enabled device with GPRS on.

szamot
07-14-2005, 03:01 AM
This sounds interesting, too bad SMS in Canada is like $.15 each. I can see how this could wreck a credit card or two in no time flat.