View Full Version : What do you guys think about this?

Typhoon
07-10-2005, 04:23 AM
I always thought it would be a good idea to build a PDA w/no physical buttons. Instead, have a PDA w/a wider screen and instead have virtual buttons (like Tomb Raider for PPC) on the screen. This has several advantages:

1) No annoying tapping sounds
2) Virtual buttons can always be customized and can suit a specific application or game. Imagine having a sword that animates when pressed instead of the gamer pressing an annoying Calendar button. PDA users can customize how many buttons they want and how big (shape, size, etc.) for convience and comfortability.
3) This could create a cool looking device that looks more like a slate. Kind of like Sony's CLIE TH55. I always thought that device looked cool because it had that all shiny slate look (though the button format was a turn off).

If power usage is ever a problem, a regular LCD can be used and a smaller rectangle of a cheaper BW or green or low colored screen can be used for virtual buttons.

This would also be great for a clamshell PDA that would use a virtual keyboard instead of a real one. No more complaining about the keys' spacings, sizes, placements, etc. You can customize them your self. Of course a second screen would consume too much power, but a low powered cheap lcd would be different.

I have always thought this would be a great idea. Anyone who has played TR for the PPC would understand. So what do you guys think? Pros, cons?

[/img]

SteveHoward999
07-10-2005, 04:56 AM
I don't like sticky, greasy finger marks on my screen.

8O

Janak Parekh
07-10-2005, 04:57 AM
You're thinking of something like http://www.jackito-pda.com/index.php - and we talked about it (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29938). Alas, it hasn't shipped, so it's hard to compare.

--janak

Typhoon
07-10-2005, 05:25 AM
Ohhh ok. lol but I think that one is a ugly version and not stylish at all. Oh well.

Kowalski
07-10-2005, 09:50 AM
a pda without hardware buttons, why? are you trying to save space?
i use hardware buttons alot and without them, it would not be easy to use the device for me.
i wouldnt buy the idea of virtual buttons. the screen will be full of fingerprints

Typhoon
07-10-2005, 11:06 AM
a pda without hardware buttons, why? are you trying to save space?
i use hardware buttons alot and without them, it would not be easy to use the device for me.
i wouldnt buy the idea of virtual buttons. the screen will be full of fingerprints

I never felt that problem. But maybe most people do.

pivaska
07-10-2005, 02:30 PM
I think the idea of no buttons was to increase screen size. I agree with the the other comments but what if the buttons were place on the side, top or bottom edges of the unit and that way they would be off of the front allowing for more screen size. After all on my Axim 50V I have 3 buttons already there and have no problems. Sure the direction pad would have to be thought of differently but perhaps 4 directtion buttons on 4 corners. Since I am not a gammer I don't know how this would effect game play.

Johnathan
07-11-2005, 12:35 PM
OK, guy, good thought, but I don't like that! I think the key is very useful and beautiful!

npatang
07-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Well that is a good idea but hard to use if impelemented!!!!

pivaska
07-11-2005, 05:45 PM
I went a took a look at some of the games and it appears that the game pad is intergrated on the screen with the game itself. So perhaps there would be no need for the direction pad. If using an ebook reader the page up and page down button can be coded to one of the side buttons or like the Toshibas they have a wheel that moves up and down. Scrolling left and right migh be an on screen scroll bar.

Typhoon
07-12-2005, 05:30 AM
I went a took a look at some of the games and it appears that the game pad is intergrated on the screen with the game itself. So perhaps there would be no need for the direction pad. If using an ebook reader the page up and page down button can be coded to one of the side buttons or like the Toshibas they have a wheel that moves up and down. Scrolling left and right migh be an on screen scroll bar.

Yea, you are getting the point to it...