View Full Version : Bluetooth troubles

funheart
07-09-2005, 03:57 AM
Help l'm at my wits end. I have a Ipaq 4700. I have not been able to use the bluetooth yet and I have had it for over a year. Every time I try it does nothing. I have looked in books and the manuel and can find nothing to help. Am I doing some thing wrong? I have had people who can use their bluetooths with others not be able to complete with me. What am I doing wrong, or not doing. [/b]

Menneisyys
07-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Help l'm at my wits end. I have a Ipaq 4700. I have not been able to use the bluetooth yet and I have had it for over a year. Every time I try it does nothing. I have looked in books and the manuel and can find nothing to help. Am I doing some thing wrong? I have had people who can use their bluetooths with others not be able to complete with me. What am I doing wrong, or not doing. [/b]

Welcome to the board :)

First and foremost: what do you want to use it for? What other devices are you trying to connect to? PLease be more specific.

funheart
07-09-2005, 04:45 PM
I tried to beam a pc theme to another ipaq and it didn't go. Then I tried to receive a contact from a axium (dell) and could not. It went into the screen that had the name of the file then under a line had "To beam, select a device" under another line it had two options with magifiers as bullets with the options that had Infrared and searching in blue it had align ports. When I touch any of those nothing happens. On the top banner it says beam with the arrows and an "X" speaker ,time and the ok circle. I could not get it to beam. I have never been able to beam. Thanks

Menneisyys
07-09-2005, 08:41 PM
I tried to beam a pc theme to another ipaq and it didn't go. Then I tried to receive a contact from a axium (dell) and could not. It went into the screen that had the name of the file then under a line had "To beam, select a device" under another line it had two options with magifiers as bullets with the options that had Infrared and searching in blue it had align ports. When I touch any of those nothing happens. On the top banner it says beam with the arrows and an "X" speaker ,time and the ok circle. I could not get it to beam. I have never been able to beam. Thanks

IrDA != Bluetooth.

As far as IrDA is concerned, did you pay attention to the position of the infrared window? It's located at the bottom of your iPAQ. Also, you need to enable infrared receive - it's set to disabled by default on WM2003+ devices. Go to Settings/Connections/Beam, and enable the "Receive all incoming beams" checkbox of the receiving PDA.

funheart
07-10-2005, 07:00 PM
I did what you said. Found that it was set to receive all incoming beams. I must have done that before. I went into a store yesterday that dealt with palms but they tried to help. In bluetooth manager there are settings. Will I have to us the connection wizard every time I want to sync up with a bluetooth beam. Why doesn't it automaticly receive?

applejosh
07-10-2005, 07:11 PM
I think what Menneisyys was saying is that "beaming" and bluetooth are two entirely different things. While they both use electromagnetic particles, IR (aka beaming) use infrared light while bluetooth uses radio waves in the 2.4GHz band. When using IR, you have to align the IR ports on both devices up. Bluetooth doesn't need that as it's omnidirectional. IR is generally also very slow for large amounts of data.

As far as answering your question, I'm not that familiar with doing anything other than beaming contacts and such, and it always worked for me when going from PPC to PPC. Throwing a Palm in the mix seemed to cause issues most of the time (not sure why, but I'm guessing that's why programs like Conduit's Peacemaker exist). I've never attempted a bluetooth transfer of PIM data or files from the PPC because most of the time it was just easier to copy stuff via the computer I was attached to. Using bluetooth, I believe you have to make sure the file transfer service is running on your devices for files. In the bluetooth settings on my iPAQ there is also a service called Information Exchange which probably has something to do with PIM data. Depending on how the services are setup on each device, pairing them might also be necessary (to make sure no unauthorized file/PIM data theft occurs from anyone within range I'm guessing).

Menneisyys
07-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Will I have to us the connection wizard every time I want to sync up with a bluetooth beam. Why doesn't it automaticly receive?

So, let's get it straight: you're only trying to send contacts via Bluetooth? Then, forget IrDA - it has nothing to do with Bluetooth.

To send contacts via BT, you don't need to go into the Bluetooth Manager. The two devices don't even need to be paired.

To change contacts between current Palm OS and PPC devices via IrDA (and most probably BT), you don't need to do anything special - they will communicate. (I've just tested with with my Palm Zire 71 and my 2210 / PL720, in both directions.)